What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance In-Ground Series  (Read 7838 times)

paul

• New Optima Owner
Sundance In-Ground Series
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:23:57 pm »
Does anyone know anything about Sundance?  I didn't think they were in the big leagues with HS, Master, D1, etc.  

Also, my local Vegas Sundance dealer installs them in ground, which was what I wanted until I was told that, if you do that, you get a completely different product w/ much less power and theraputic value.  Is that true?  Sundance sells the 880 Optima, but calls it the "in-ground" series.  The specs seem the same as the above-ground one, so now I am totally confused!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance In-Ground Series
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:23:57 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Sundance In-Ground Series
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:53:23 pm »
Sundance is absolutely in the same league as HS, Master, D1, etc....  

Not sure about your in ground question.  Maybe one of the Sundance dealers that read the board can help you there.  Was it your LV Sundance dealer who said the in ground Optima was of lesser theraputic value (whatever that is), or someone else?  

If it wasn't the LV Sundance dealer ask the dealer and see what they say.  Or see if you can get references  to some local installs who may be ok with you seeing their spa.  Not sure how warm people would be to that, though.

Brewman

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:21:05 pm »
There are three types of spas Sundance sell.  

1) Portable

2) Just a shell

3) Architectual series

When you put a spa in the ground and remote the equipment, you are going to have less pressure in the jets because of the length of run.  

Remember, if you put it in the ground, and something goes wrong, even under warranty, you are responsible for making the spa accessible.  This includes all 4 sides of the spa.

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:24:21 pm »
SJ< You bare an unbelievable resemblence to Gene Schallot! LOL

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 02:45:19 pm »
Sundance is certainly worthy of checking out. I personally think the protable is a much better way to go thatn the in gorund. If you really like the in ground, I would put a portable in a vault to get the in-ground look with a the portable .
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 02:47:46 pm »
Paul I will pm you in a bit on that spa you were asking about!

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:16:02 pm »
Paul,
 Are you saying that the dealer wont sell a portable Sundance?

The Optima 880 definately comes in a portable version.(It's our #1 seller!)

Tell him you want portable and I'm sure he wont refuse your $$$.

I dont know how many spas they sell, but your local dealer (Paddock Pools) is a serious player in the pool industry.

http://www.poolspanews.com/2005/082/pdf/082top50.pdf
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 05:35:30 pm »
Sundance is definately in the same league as the spas  you've mentioned.

The inground optima is the same specs as an aboveground unit, basically it is an optima w/out the cabinet and motors. The shell is preplumbed and framed so its ready for install. Because of placement issues with the pumps and heater, most of the time we would like these parts to be installed inside a temp controlled environment-like a basement. And because of this, if the pumps aren't made to handle the pressure correctly the massage wouldn't be as intense as that of an aboveground unit. Also, depending on your locale, the electrical and heating bill might be enormous in the winter.

So for the best hydrotherapy and energy efficiency, the above ground might be the most "optimal" choice ;)

PS. -Astheatically, an inground is always good-lookin'

paul

• New Optima Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:31:44 pm »
Thanks for all your helpful responses.   I am sticking with a portable.  

It's now between the Sundance Optima 880 and the Master 800.  Master had more powerful jets at key point son my back, but I felt much more comfortable with the Sundance dealer.   If I have any problems, with Master I feel like I would be on my own with the manufacturer.  (The Master dealer is a new owner; little history in Vegas, etc).  I was quoted about the same price on each.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 08:11:05 am »
Master is known for its big power.  Sundance is a bigger player than Master and coupled with their JacuzziPremium brand claim to be the biggest seller of acrylic spas.  The dealer is a very important part of the decision and should not be undervalued.

paul

• New Optima Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 02:04:59 pm »
When you say "the dealer should not be undervalued," do you mean that they will (or should) be available to help answer questions, fix minor problems, help with getting the tub started up, etc, b/c otherwise one is left with having to deal directly with a far-away manufacturer?

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?  Basically, I like the Master LS 800 better than the SD Optima b/c of the superior power (one can divert power so that a pump is dedicated to a single seat), but I am NOT a handyman, have no patience to try to fix things myself, and leave maintenance to my girlfriend, who is no handyman herself.  I feel like, if there is a problem, the local Sundance dealer will be there to help, whereas with Master, the dealer is new and his location looks very temporary to me.  If I have questions or problems with the Master, can I assuem there is a local Master service representative to help? (I am told Sundance has one).
Paul

Paul

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 07:27:37 pm »
Essentially, anything that goes on with your spa is going to be handled by your dealer and their representatives and techs...at least until your warranty is up which would be five years for most working parts of your spa.  That includes delivery, start up, water quaility questions and problems, and repairs (there most likely will be some).  You want to feel that your dealer is going to be there for you in a timely, responsible and professional manner.  If you have to go directly to the manufacturer, that means your dealer is not taking care of you or your issues.  Then it gets more complicated.

spazman

• Soaking in my &quot;modified&quot; '98 Sundance Corum!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 08:05:24 pm »
Sounds like you are down to dealing with your gut instincts about these 2 dealers. Being a technician by trade, I believe your #1 consideration should be service after the sale because the thing all hot tubs have in common is failure, it's not a matter of "if", but "when".
Your dealer should step up and help you when you need help. But will he?

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:01 am »
I was thinking about what you were saying when the master spa "can divert one pump to a single seat," SD can do that as well, and I can assure you with the power of the accusage seat, you will not be dissappointed.

Most major manufacturers have warranty service providers that might be the yellow pages or sumthin', but I would call the manufacturer to ask.

I really think you should give the SD a more serious look, the power between the two is very similiar.

hymbaw

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 01:28:08 pm »
SDguy,
      I agree completely! If I divert the all the water to the accusage seat I need to brace my feet on the foot dome or it'll blow my across the spa! I would suggest Paul go back and try the Sundance again making sure to fiddle with the diverters until you find the power you like.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 01:28:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42