What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hey Cappycat!!   Here's some photos  (Read 6565 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Hey Cappycat!!   Here's some photos
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:27:40 pm »
cappycat,

Go here:    http://photos.yahoo.com/vinnynj57

and go under Deck & Screen Room.

It gives you an idea on what it looks like. The screen room is 14' W x 16'L and the open deck is 14'W x 20'L. The tub takes up about 9.5'W x 10.5L. The steps are about 4' W.

Good luck on your project!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 06:40:44 pm by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Hey Cappycat!!   Here's some photos
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:27:40 pm »

cappykat

Re: Hey Cappycat!!   Here's some photos
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 02:32:29 pm »
Wow, Vinny...that looks great!  You did all that work yourself?  You built the screened room?  It looks like the screen room we were given an estimate of $12+K.

Very sweet!!
2005 Marquis Epic

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:47:41 pm »
Vinny,

the pictures are awesome, the tub looks outrageous. What kind of tub is this?

It sure looks fantastic

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:52:23 pm »
Is that an Elite or Artesian as it looks like the L.A Spas mold called the Concord, of which both companies have splashed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 03:59:42 pm by coloradocrusader »

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 03:11:07 pm »
I've been telling my husband that the tub should extend from the deck about 18"...is that correct?
2005 Marquis Epic

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 03:41:38 pm »
It looks like the way you have the cover open, the first edge exposed when you open it doesn't have the control panel on it.  How is that working for you?  Would you do it differently if you had the chance?  We are wrestling with potential positioning.  We want the cover to open  a certain direction to improve privacy and keep our view of the woods behind our house unimpeded, but when we do that and set the spa so the first edge exposed has the control panel, there is no natural step onto one of the shallower side seats; the filter is there.

Thanks.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 03:45:40 pm »
A friend and I built it. There are mistakes but you can't see them in the photo! ;D It probably is the same or similar to screen rooms going for 12K+. Here in NJ (at least around me) I couldn't find a DIY place and I ordered it in Staten Island, NY. They charged an additional $3,000 to put it up and I was cheap.  Unfortunately, my friend and I  never built one before and we damaged some parts of the screen room - so upon inspection, it's definitely not close to a professional installation.

My tub is an Artesian Grand Cayman - similar to a LA Spas Concord. I have the tub about 23" above the deck but I originally was going for 18". I have to say though it was a GOOD mistake - I didn't need a trap door for access and it turns out to be the right height to sit on the edge and swing our feet in - I'm 6' , wife is 5'5", older son is 5'7" and youngest son about 5'. All of us find it easy to get into.

When shopping for the tub, a dealer suggested to me to not put it to it's lip since it is a big step up. As we get older it gets harder to step up to it and I really am glad that I listened to him.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 04:07:34 pm »
It looks like the way you have the cover open, the first edge exposed when you open it doesn't have the control panel on it.  How is that working for you?  Would you do it differently if you had the chance?  We are wrestling with potential positioning.  We want the cover to open  a certain direction to improve privacy and keep our view of the woods behind our house unimpeded, but when we do that and set the spa so the first edge exposed has the control panel, there is no natural step onto one of the shallower side seats; the filter is there.

Thanks.

It actually works well.  There is a seat under the control panel so it also is an entry point. The only problem and it's working better than I anticipated is the filter. With only about a 1 1/2' distance between the railing and the side there's not much manuvering room. I have to open the cover from the filter side and use my head (at least it's good for something!!) to hold it open as I change filters - really not a big thing. I originally thought I would have to wade into the tub to change the filter so I lucked out!

We have a neighbor to that side and it is a great privacy screen as it extends over my height when I stand up. I do have a neighbor on the other side and I am thinking about what to do there. We do look out to a school yard and it doesn't interfere too much. Of course there's nothing to see at night (OK it does have Mercury Vapor lights for security - makes it a bummer for me ;) ) and it blocks some wind that blows from that side.

Most of my pumps are under the electronics so IF I have a problem I do have to remove the panel screws and the lifter screws but I'm banking on the fact (hopefully) that I won't have problems.

My suggestion is make the tub as user friendly as possible so that you want to use it. My 10 YO can open the cover and get in without a problem. Can't get any easier that that!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 04:08:10 pm by Vinny »

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:31:20 pm »
Great, Vinny.  I'm going to reference these threads when our tub gets here and hubby starts the deck.  Your project looks great from where I'm sitting.  ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 07:28:41 pm »
Great work Vinny!! Looks like a nice place to relax!!!

cappykat

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 07:43:47 pm »
Hi Payton!  Hubby put up some fencing today and sometime next week we'll get our slab.  Then he'll be in for the long haul and I'll be lucky to see him on the weekends...HAAA!!
2005 Marquis Epic

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 08:30:56 pm »
Sounds great Cappykat! Remember, takes lots of pictures of the entire project. It's great looking back at the each significant stage. Good luck and have fun!

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:38:45 pm »
Got the digital ready to go! ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 08:57:50 am »
Vinny,

Do you get much use from your above ground pool?  I am considering adding one.

Also, I am from the NJ shore and your back yard looks like it could be close to my neck of the woods.  Is it Monmouth County?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 09:15:59 am »
Vinny,

Do you get much use from your above ground pool?  I am considering adding one.

Also, I am from the NJ shore and your back yard looks like it could be close to my neck of the woods.  Is it Monmouth County?

I'm not a pool person (I like the pool water to be above 90F) but my kids used it a lot. This is my 5th year and this year they didn't use it too much as they went to camp and swam there. We tossed around the idea of a built in originally but didn't want to spend the money for 3 months a year.

I think it's worth the money for getting cooled off, lounging and splashing around; it's definately not for the "serious" pool person who wants to swim laps and dive.

The pool is a Vogue pool, 52" tall and 24' diameter. We purchased a round vs oval to pass the BOCA codes without having a fence on the pool. It's a sturdy pool and has taken many a times with me in the center jumping up and down with an inner tube creating waves for my youngest. If you do go with any pool - get a DE filter - it cleans the pool fantastically ( I've even considered putting it in my tub when it got cloudy the first time :D ).

I live in Mercer county near Trenton - moved here in 2000.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 09:15:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42