What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ? about covers and cover lifters  (Read 2717 times)

dhynds2003

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
? about covers and cover lifters
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:49:17 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post and am relatively new to the world of hot tubs.  I just bought a house that included a 2000 Tiger River Siberian.  The tub seems to be in very good shape, except the cover.  It is torn along the sides and completely water logged.  Our local tiger river dealer said he could get a new one for $425.  Some that I have found on the internet seem very good, but it is hard to know.  Also, I'm looking to get a lift for the cover and I have all the space I need behind the tub.  Any recommendations for either the cover or lift would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Hot Tub Forum

? about covers and cover lifters
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:49:17 pm »

Chris_H

Re: ? about covers and cover lifters
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 04:00:26 pm »
Generally speaking that price is not out of line for the cover.  As long as you feel comfortable with your local dealer I would recommend them over an online retailer.  

When you purchase the cover, make sure you get a direct replacement from Hotspring and not a special order cover from another manufacturer.  I would then recommend purchasing the Hotspring Cover Cradle that is arguably the easiest cover lift to use.  The Cover Cradle should cost about $400 - $500 installed.

Edited to add:  Chas is the resident expert on Hotspring/Tiger River Spas.  If you need some guidance he usually is open to helping consumers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:03:50 pm by Chris_H »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:01:13 pm »
Welcome!!

There's a couple of Tiger River dealers here that may be able to help you. Hot Springs (the parent company of Tiger River) has a unique cover design in that the lifter attaches to the side of the cover - it might be of interest to you if available for spa.

There's a website   - rhtubs - that sells covers and lifters. He (Dr Spa) posts here as well. I've ordered supplies from him and they were delivered promptly. It seems there are a few people here who have shopped at his store.

I have a Covermate 3 on my tub and it does work nicely. My 10 YO can lift the cover without any problems. The only problem comes when a tub is sunken into a deck up to it's lip - I believe only certain cover lifters will work.

Good luck!

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 04:35:30 pm »
Get a good lift it will make your tub experince easy and enjoyable. I have a covermate from HS and it is very easy to use.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 04:45:52 pm »
Get a good lift it will make your tub experince easy and enjoyable.

TRUE!! I have seen too many $8k spas with a $179 lifter that is not that easy to open and just seems destined to be trouble in a couple years. That same lightweight lifter works OK on a small spas but I'd advice you get yourself a lifter that allows anyone in the family to open the spa with ease (especially if your spa is 7'x7' or larger).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:59:53 pm »
 The Cover Cradle should cost about $400 - $500 installed.

This seems a bit steep for a cover lifter don't you think?  Our lifter goes for around $200 and it's VERY easy to open.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/ideal-lift.htm

Our dealer threw this in and they delivery guys installed it.  The thought of paying $400-$500 for a lifter seems a bit crazy to me when there are really good ones out there that are easy to install yourself and way cheaper.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 12:13:10 am »
Sorry to interrupt on the HS question, but I have a Marquis cover lift question that I thought would fit here.

So I was asking my dealer about a hydrolic cover lift today.  He said he's not too crazy about them.  1-He's not sure how they'll hold up in the winter (possible freezing?) and 2- more because of the design.  He said that the one he has available doesn't support the entire length of the seam and said it's too much stress on the cover.  

Any thoughts?  

Reading this thread made me realize that since the tub is bigger, the cover will probably be a little heavier as well.  Also,  if I decide to get a lifter from somewhere else,  should I expect any kind of a discount if I tell my dealer I don't want the one that comes with it?  Would it void any of the warranty by using a lifter purchased- say thru RHtubs?

My husband has been home for the past 3 weeks with a bad back flair up, so ease of lifting the cover is fresh in my mind right now.

Thanks
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:18:47 am »
I can't speak for all hydrolic lifters but we love ours.  It works great all year.  The cold in the winder doesn't seem to have any effect on it's performance.

We've only had it a year and I've seen no indication that it doesn't support the entire seam of the cover and the cover is in as good a shape today as it was when we got it last summer.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chris_H

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:53:20 am »
This seems a bit steep for a cover lifter don't you think?  Our lifter goes for around $200 and it's VERY easy to open.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/ideal-lift.htm

Our dealer threw this in and they delivery guys installed it.  The thought of paying $400-$500 for a lifter seems a bit crazy to me when there are really good ones out there that are easy to install yourself and way cheaper.

Actually no.  There is a real big difference between the Covermate III, Covermate I, and the Hotspring Cover Cradle.  I really don’t feel like explaining it, but when you see it and use it you would understand especially when you are talking about a spa as large as the Siberian.  Most dealers will throw a coverlift in when you purchase a spa because the price dealers set usually already include the standard accessories.

However, this consumer is looking for a new cover and coverlift without purchasing a new spa.  There is a much bigger difference.  The Hotspring Cover Cradle retails for $400 – 500 installed.

dhynds2003

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 09:25:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice everybody.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 09:25:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42