What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Extension Cords  (Read 13416 times)

phost

Extension Cords
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:19:10 pm »
This probably sounds terrible, but since I've bulit a new deck and moved my Marquis Hideaway away from the house I've had to use an extension cord to make it to thte nearest outlet. This spa can be plugged into a 120V 15A outlet, but the instructions of course say not to use an extension cord. My question is, is it really that hazardous to use an extension cord? Should I have an electrician come out and wire up an outlet closer to the spa? Another bummer is that whenever my wife dries her hair with the spa on, it trips the circuit breaker. The guy who bulit my deck said something about getting a 20Amp outlet (even though the wiring is smaller than code) Does anyone know anything about this? ???

Hot Tub Forum

Extension Cords
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:19:10 pm »

J._McD

Re: Extension Cords
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:29:28 pm »
CALL AN ELECTRICIAN and put in a dedicated circuit and while you are at it, you might consider a 240 circuit if you have that option.  You will experience a voltage drop with the extension cord that is NOT good for the spa, it's equipment or your safety.  If it is runing with an extension cord now, go out and feel the plug on the cord.  The heat is what sucks up energy, costing you $$$$ and starts fires.

Extension cords are a NO NO. >:(

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:48:26 pm »
This probably sounds terrible, but since I've bulit a new deck and moved my Marquis Hideaway away from the house I've had to use an extension cord to make it to thte nearest outlet. This spa can be plugged into a 120V 15A outlet, but the instructions of course say not to use an extension cord. My question is, is it really that hazardous to use an extension cord? Should I have an electrician come out and wire up an outlet closer to the spa? Another bummer is that whenever my wife dries her hair with the spa on, it trips the circuit breaker. The guy who bulit my deck said something about getting a 20Amp outlet (even though the wiring is smaller than code) Does anyone know anything about this? ???

I would agree with JMcD, we use a very heavy cord at shows to run the Hideaway but I would not do that in a permanent setting. Do not ever put a larger breaker on smaller wire. That’s an accident waiting to happen
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 11:52:24 pm by stuart »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:32:23 am »
I am not saying to do it....but if you are going to make sure it is no less than a 12 gauge cord.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 10:54:19 am »
I agree.  Don't use an extension cord, but theoretically, you'd want one the was absolutely 12 gauge and only long enough to reach.  
I'm thinking that any damage to your spa electronics caused by an extension cord will not be covered under warranty- something to consider.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 10:54:47 am by Brewman »
Brewman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:06:40 pm »
ditto
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:06:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42