What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flat thermometers  (Read 10063 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Flat thermometers
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:29 am »
Out of thousands of spas we have out there with the display reading the actual temp I don't get service calls on the spa not reading correct unless it reads dramatically different and has a sensor problem or something.

If that happens we are happy that the topside let us know....
Yes, but I bet most of them are off by one or two degrees and the customer never knows. Why would they? The spa is comfy, and who cares whether it says 101 or 103 to make it that way? But I would bet that if somebody had a lot of time to kill, they could go around and find that most tubs with a display are off by at least one degree. Again - it's not an issue as long as the thing keeps that temperature reliably, and most do.
Wanna bet that HotSpring changes in the next few years to an actual temp read out? ;)
*Heavy Sigh * you are most likely right.
:-/

Trivia: As a service tech and as a dealer, I have come across many folks who want a tub to go to 108 or more. They claim that they have enjoyed those temeratures for years. I pull out my "real spa technician thermometer" and show them that they have been soaking in 103 degree water, most likely for the past ten years...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:40:50 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:29 am »

shabba34

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 11:42:07 am »
In a sense, the green ready light on the Hotspring acts as a indicator of actual temp in the spa.  If the spa is set at 102 and the ready light is not illuminated, and you raise the temp to 104 and the ready light illuminates, you can then assume the actual spa temp is 104 +/- 1 1/2 deg.  And isn't it nice that when its 30 deg below outside and you can just peak outside your window and be assured that your spa is powered up and at set temperature?  The little things can make all the difference. ;)

genelong

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 04:37:52 pm »
My tub is older, and does not have any digital temperature readout.

Another trouble with floating thermometers, even if you tie them down, is they have to be picked up and squinted at in order to read them - and if you need glasses, as I do, it's even more inconvenient.

If it's not made yet, maybe someone can patent the liquid crystal hot tub thermometer and make some $$$.

Alex1

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 06:16:14 pm »
Jsimo7,   I will be waiting for your review of the NU-600. I emailed the company to ask about the accuracy of the readout. It looks like a very convenient way to check out especially with the Marquis Epic I have on order as the display is inside the cover.

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 06:56:18 pm »
Why do many tubs not have dual temp displays? (show actaul water temp and the set water temp?)

My tiger river only shows the set temp  and it seems like a lot of tubs out there don't have the dual temp display. Why? It can't really be that exspesive of an option and it seems to be a great feature. I wish I had it.

???

How do you tell the actual temp. of the water?   ???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 08:27:24 pm »
If the Green "Ready" light is lit, then the water is at the set temp, which is shown on the display.l

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 12:57:57 am »
If the Green "Ready" light is lit, then the water is at the set temp, which is shown on the display.l

And of course it comes on at the exact temp and not 2 degrees right? ::) 8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 01:06:57 am »
No, it's more like three - but it works. If the green light is NOT on you know somethings fishy. If it's on, chances are the tub is right where you have it set.

Alex1

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
I received an e-mail today from Nu-Temp. They said the nu-600 transmitter and receiver are accurate to +/- 1 degree F. The transmitter uses a 9 volt battery and the receiver uses 2 AA.  For $25 this sounds like a good deal to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 05:58:29 pm »
I find this whole conversation both comical and exasperating.

Before digital readouts, an owner would set the dial to a certain number and the spa would heat up to a certain temperature. For instance, the owner knew that a "4 and a smidge" on the dial gave him the temp that felt just right and all was well.

That same owner then gets a brand new spa with a digital readout. He sets it to "102" and then week later he calls and says, "the readout is not accurate. I checked it with a thermometer I got calibrated (accurate within .0001ºF) at the nuclear test facility I work at and the display is off by 1º or 2º". This was the same person who previously used his dial setting as a mere reference point and used his body’s sensory perception as the final indicator but now that the spa has a digital readout there is a breech in the system.

Progress. Ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 06:00:57 pm »
I'm with you, Spatech!  If it's too hot, turn it down.  If it's too cold, turn it up.  Easy, peasy, Japanesy. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 06:12:23 pm »
T.U.O. & East_TX,

That is what I do.  Lately it has been a little warm when I first go out, so I turn on the jets and let it run a few minutes, then get in.  I can only last about 10 minutes, but I make them the best 10 minutes!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Alex1

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 06:23:42 pm »
For me it's the convenience of knowing all is well from inside my house. If for whatever reason I would not be in the tub for a few days it would be nice to know an alarm or a quick glance by me or another family member for peace of mind. I agree, If we are comfortable at a certain temp I don't care if its a few degrees off on a display I just want to know about a hard failure. 8)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 06:59:16 pm »
For me it's the convenience of knowing all is well from inside my house. If for whatever reason I would not be in the tub for a few days it would be nice to know an alarm or a quick glance by me or another family member for peace of mind. I agree, If we are comfortable at a certain temp I don't care if its a few degrees off on a display I just want to know about a hard failure. 8)

That's a good reason.  All of the HotSpring spas are set up so that you can look out your back window and see the green ready light.  Then, you know all is well.  It is a useful feature. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 07:34:18 pm »
All that I can say is that I truely enjoy the ability to read my actual temp and know what it is before and during my soak. I also remember my days of selling HS that this was a constant gripe of owners, not knowing the temp without a floating thermometer.

I now have an even better ability to turn my jets and lights on, adjust the temp, read what the currant temp is (within 1 degree so far) and in general control my spa from inside my house with Marquis new in home spa monitor.

BTW, if I were to put a floating thermometer in my spa it would be this
When I had my old HotSpring Classic (I loved that spa!) I used one similar to this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 10:05:10 pm by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 07:34:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42