What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gazebo or Screened Room  (Read 10859 times)

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Re: Gazebo or Screened Room
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 06:06:59 pm »
No problem cappykat. Good luck with your planning. If you have any other questions with my setup, let me know. I really think you will enjoy the spa under the stars better than under a roof. Like I said, I had a spa indoors for 4 years when we bought our home and while it was enjoyable, nothing in my mind beats the open air!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 06:06:59 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 07:08:07 pm »
Please don't let my pricing scare you - you may get better pricing - Where have I heard that before? ???   ;D

Good Luck - I'm sure it'll all work out!

And like Payton said - If you have any questions please ask!

cappykat

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 07:16:46 pm »
Got our first pricing on an 18x20 alum screened room...$12,112. Somehow that seems pretty high and I wonder how long it would last if a hurricane came through.  Our neighbor lost his last year when we got hit??

Unless the other 2 companies give us pricing that is a lot less, we're probably going to go with a slab for the tub and deck around it, a nice large patio with pavers, and landscaping.

Geez...all we wanted was a tub for my fibromyalgia and neck/back problems and about $20,000 later we'll have it!! ;D :-/ :o
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 07:17:18 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 07:37:00 pm »
Geez...all we wanted was a tub for my fibromyalgia and neck/back problems and about $20,000 later we'll have it!! ;D :-/ :o

cappykat,

I can understand what you're feeling - my project is turning out VERY expensive also,

200 Amp upgrade  - $1000
  Tub wiring              -   $650
  Tub                         - $7000
  Decking                  -  $9000
  Screen Room          - $7000

So far the total is $24,650 and I still need electrical, lighting and miscellaneous items done. But I will say that if you plan on staying in your house a while it'll be worth it, but it'll be great which ever way you choose.

My wife isn't into the tub at all and when we talk about the project and she's giving me the evil eyes and telling me how stupid it is ... well at least I enjoy it. My kids enjoy it some what too, I'm hoping that she'll feel differently in the winter. If not, the tub will be my retreat as long as she doesn't lock me out! ;D

I don't know where you live but for me bugs really don't affect us (me) in the tub - outside the tub is a different story. We went the screen room route strickly for the bugs while sitting outside. As far as winter - only time will tell!

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 11:18:01 pm »
Vinny is absolute correct! Your project can be as grand as you want it to be. Just be cautious because it adds up very quickly. We were going to put our tub indoors at first and then decided to go outdoors so my wife could utlize our sunroom for more than a place to house the spa. Well that is when the fun in planning began but also when the dollar signs starting flashing as well. All in all, we are VERY happy with our planning and the finished project. We are having the deck stained next week and then next spring I need to add a small bistro table and two chairs. Once that is done, we will be good until we decide to add some outdoor speakers. LOL. As you can see, there are always additions that you can make but really, that is what makes it so fun! Just don't go over budget and you will be happy. You can always add things as the years pass by. Don't try to do everything at once. Once again, good luck with your project and make sure you take lots of pictures!!

cappykat

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 09:47:56 am »
Vinny, sorry to hear your wife doesn't share your enthusiasm but at least you'll have your own oasis..HA!  I know Vinny said he used composite on his deck. What did you use Payton?  You said you're going to stain it so I assuming wood?

Our tub is in the warehouse and has been for weeks.  We thought we would be done by now and we haven't even started!  When we got the estimate on the screened room they said from start to finish about 3 months.  I said, good grief...our "winter" will be over and we still won't be in the tub (I'm in Orlando). It's frustrating.  But like my daughter says, "it's all good" and I'm sure it will be when we're done.

Payton, I know you're in Georgia, I have a brother in Decatur.  Vinny, are you in NJ?
2005 Marquis Epic

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 01:22:31 pm »
We used pressure treated wood for the deck.

We live not too far from Decatur, GA. Used to live in NJ though.

cappykat

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 02:02:50 pm »
So, Payton...you used PT wood.  You said you are staining it, do you then put a sealer on it?  I would love to go composite but I just think it will be too expensive.

We're going to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and see if they'll do a deck design for us.  Then my husband is going to build it.  If ours comes out any where as nice as yours and Vinny's, I'll be very happy.  

I'll let you know as we proceed.  Thanks for all your help.
2005 Marquis Epic

xqqqsme

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 02:19:50 pm »
So, Payton...you used PT wood.  You said you are staining it, do you then put a sealer on it?  I would love to go composite but I just think it will be too expensive.

We're going to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and see if they'll do a deck design for us.  Then my husband is going to build it.  If ours comes out any where as nice as yours and Vinny's, I'll be very happy.  

I'll let you know as we proceed.  Thanks for all your help.

I am installing composite.  It was about 2X the price and the Railings are much more than that.  But, it looks great.  I'll post pic's tomorrow.

cappykat

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 02:52:18 pm »
Great...look forward to seeing your pics.
2005 Marquis Epic

Bodyaches

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
oolRe: Gazebo or Screened Room
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 02:52:18 pm »
Thinking of getting a telescopic enclosure for my pool and spa. Thought pretty expensive depending on size an height.
They would keep water from evaporating and waste of chemicals.
Can open from either end or in the center see thru polycarpnate see thru material that is used for bullit proof vests.
Mantaine heat in winter several degrees.

SemperFi
Dick

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 02:53:35 pm »
I used composite on my deck. And yes, it is more expensive. I'm thinking long term.  I hope to reap the benefits of never having to stain it or paint it or dealing with splinters since it's not supposed to dry out and crack.  
To clean: soap, water and wire brush once a year or as needed is their recommendation.

At least, I hope so! ::)

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

cappykat

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 02:53:55 pm »
Bodyaches...sound really nice but way out of my budget.  Just a simple screened room is more than I thought it would be.
2005 Marquis Epic

cappykat

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 02:55:12 pm »
I guess we're just going to have to compare cost.  I don't like the idea of staining, sealing, etc. so we may just have to "bite the bullet" and spend the money for the composite.
2005 Marquis Epic

Bodyaches

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 03:00:19 pm »
Copycat,
Here is an web site for this enclosure.

www.ameracover.com

SemperFi
Dick

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 03:00:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42