What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buyer Beware  (Read 10698 times)

crank

• I luv My Spa
Buyer Beware
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:04:47 pm »
I talked with a guy yesterday that bought a Caldera Spa Online. He bought the whole thing online and had it shipped from Wisconsin to La. Well he says he saved a few bucks so it was worth it. The thing didnt come with startup chemicals, no phone support and a useless warranty. If anyone is shopping for a tub and you come across something like this keep in mind that you give up all your rights as a new spa owner. The local guys will not service your warranty. You have no one to help if you need it and in the end what ever money you save will go right out the window if you have to buy parts when they should be free. If I  ever find out what dealers doing this Im going to turn him in to the Caldera People. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

Buyer Beware
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:04:47 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Buyer Beware
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:15:12 pm »
I"m pretty sure Calderas are built in CA, so I wonder who is selling them out of Wisconsin?  Please follow up and let us know more.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

crank

• I luv My Spa
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:19:12 pm »
The guy told me he found several places that would do that for him in other brands. Just everyday dealers that dont have permission as a dealer to ship spas that way. Caldera dealers sign that they will take care of those they sell to.
I just hate to see someone spend $6000 on a new hottub and no one will work on it for him.

Anglia67

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:41:46 pm »
I do not understand how some one can make an investment in a spa, through the internet, have it drop shipped to there house and feel comfortable.
There is so much value in buying from a local, authorized dealer, who will be there should any problems occur. There are so many "what ifs" involved.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:08:45 pm »
It's called learning the hard way.  
That's an awful lot of money to toss out like that, if you ask me.  
Too bad more people don't take the time to research large purchases.  A couple hours just poking around in this forum can warn you of at least a few pitfalls.

Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 05:35:52 pm »
I think it was PT Barnam that said 'There's a sucker born every minute'.

People look at $500 or $1000 savings and are wowed by it, not thinking of the consequenses IF something was to happen. Look at how may times you see people questioning spas on E-Bay. It would be one thing if a manufacturer was selling blemished spas with full warranty but who is selling you this thing. Yes, it may turn out good but it also may turn out bad and 90 days after the credit card clears where's the person who you bought it from. Heck the person who you all talk about sells his spas for $9500 and he'll drop it off in front of your house - you can get ANY spa for that money!

People are looking for THE BUY OF THE CENTURY when they buy items. Some people do find genuine bargins but most don't.  It's unfortunate that people get suckered into these purchases but they should stop and think about it for a while.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 05:37:41 pm »
Keep in mind that some of us tub owners are kinda plumbing smart and see the inside of a hot tub as a very very simple piece of plumbing. This of course is not just me, there is alot of us out there. I have not used my local dealer since I purchased. Except to get the phone number of the factory. My warranty is up on the plumbing and electronics so I will now have to buy parts, if needed, from him. Or another dealer of this brand.  So an internet purchase may not be that bad of a deal for some folks.

I am a proponant of local dealers for most people, but just wanted to put another spin on this topic.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 05:53:57 pm »
But if you saved $1000 and paid $1500 for parts over 1, 3 or 5 years because that entity isn't there for warranty parts it's not saving you anything. And how many people CAN repair electronics or plumbing (I can solder electronics but don't give me a torch).

I repair medical equipment so I know where you're coming from. Other than what's inside the foam (refoaming) - it's probably not a big deal to repair ... when the warranty runs out.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 06:36:45 pm »
IF, and this is a big if, but IF, the dealer making this offer IS a dealer and has been in business for a while, and the buyer is fully aware that they are responsible for performing warranty labor, the dealer is probably going to ship the warranty parts to the customer. I assume by the big grin at the end of the original post this is all hyothetical. I will tell you, if a customer is standing in my store and wants to drive away with one of my spas on their trailer, who am I to tell them their money has no value here.

But if you saved $1000 and paid $1500 for parts over 1, 3 or 5 years because that entity isn't there for warranty parts it's not saving you anything. And how many people CAN repair electronics or plumbing (I can solder electronics but don't give me a torch).

I repair medical equipment so I know where you're coming from. Other than what's inside the foam (refoaming) - it's probably not a big deal to repair ... when the warranty runs out.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 08:25:28 pm »
The local guys will not service your warranty. You have no one to help if you need it and in the end what ever money you save will go right out the window if you have to buy parts when they should be free. If I  ever find out what dealers doing this Im going to turn him in to the Caldera People. ;D
If I sell a spa outside of my normal service area, I am bound by contract to do any warranty service it might need. But there is some lattitude - this IS a free market after all - I can go do the work myself, beg/bribe a local dealer to take care of it, pay a local technician to take care of it, or if the customer is willing, I can troubleshoot it over the phone and send them parts. Whatever gets the spa hot and the owner cool.

It's a bummer when a dealer sells outside of his area and doesn't take care of service, but with name brands it is rare.

Don't worry about reporting this Caldera dealer: when the  customer sends in their Warranty Registration - or registers online - they will know.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 08:30:44 pm »
IF, and this is a big if, but IF, the dealer making this offer IS a dealer and has been in business for a while, and the buyer is fully aware that they are responsible for performing warranty labor, the dealer is probably going to ship the warranty parts to the customer. I assume by the big grin at the end of the original post this is all hyothetical. I will tell you, if a customer is standing in my store and wants to drive away with one of my spas on their trailer, who am I to tell them their money has no value here.

But IF your "store" is a storage facility what are my chances that you're going to honor any warranty!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 09:50:19 pm »
That'd be your fault for buying a spa from some one that sells them out of their garage. Caldera, for instance, a Watkins brand, has pretty stringent guidlines for their dealers. My guess is they don't allow for storage unit show rooms.

But IF your "store" is a storage facility what are my chances that you're going to honor any warranty!

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 11:53:32 pm »
I think it was PT Barnam that said 'There's a sucker born every minute'.

"and two to take his money"

The concept we are fighting here is the emotion of greed.  Everybody want a good deal and we all shop for the best choice then try to find the best price.  You do it, I do it, we all do it, but in this instance someone wants to offer the oncept of a better price without the work or responsibility.  

The seller put the money in his account and he wins.  The buyer pays less and he wins.  Caldera sells and delivers another unit and they win, but the local dealer that convinced the buyer about the merits of what he bought looses.  But, when the buyer has a problem, he WILL call the local dealer for FREE service and is likely to be turned down, then the buyer in need of service is going to think very unkindly of the local dealer who actually sold him on the idea of buying the Caldera in the first place.

The seller made a profit with little investment.  The buyer saved money and bought a good product at a below market price.  And, he got a bonus too, it all went without a hitch and he didn't loose his money, or have a bigger problem.  

Is this really what you lurkers in the background want to do?  

A good dealer is worth more than the price of the spa.  Shoppers do themselves a great disservice when they buy from the lowest bidder.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 12:31:21 am »
Why wouldn't the local dealer service it?  If I buy a spa and in two years move to another state, from what I read here, I won't be able to get service???.  The warranty is backed by the factory and performed by the dealer.  The dealer gets paid to do the warranty work.  I don't see the quandry.  What many warranties allow is a reasonable trip charge.  I am guessing while it is waived for those who purchased locally, it would assessed on those purchases not made at the local dealer.  If you are 'X' dealer, I would expect you back "X" product.  I may be wrong in my thinking.  I think the question is if you are a dealer, are you or are you not an authorized repair center for that spa?  If you are, I would maintain you have to repair it.

Now, after saying all that, I personally would not try to save $500 to have it shipped in from elsewhere if I can get it locally.  While I believe highly in online purchases and e-bay etc, I don't believe in it for purchases where the likelihood of repair is reasonably high or where the local dealer has provided substantial up front sales service such as wet testing.  It would be sh tty to wet test models, have them fill others, and then find it on the internet for a few bucks cheaper and buy it that way.  If the company warranty is voided via internet purchase (which some electronics companies do) then it's a different situation.

P.S.  I bought mine locally so hopefully I have no worries.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:34:27 am by rexspent »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 06:45:53 am »
Why wouldn't the local dealer service it?  If I buy a spa and in two years move to another state, from what I read here, I won't be able to get service???.  

This shouldn't be the case if a person moves but this is the case if you bought the spa at a different dealer than your local one.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 06:45:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42