What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High PH, Cloudy Water in Marquis  (Read 5296 times)

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
High PH, Cloudy Water in Marquis
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:54:27 pm »
I have owned my Marquis Euphoria for 6 months now and I have a little problem with my water.  I am constantly having high PH levels about 7.6 to 7.8, and my water is cloudy.  I last changed the water 30 days ago, I clean my filters ( I have two sets) once a month.  The tub does not get heavy use only me and my wife about 2 or 3 times a week.  The temperature of the water is 98 degrees.  I check the water once a week, and add a tablespoon of shock once a week.  The Bromine Cartridge is set at #2.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

High PH, Cloudy Water in Marquis
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:54:27 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: High PH, Cloudy Water in Marquis
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 08:08:24 pm »
It sounds like you are low on sanitizer ...what is that reading....

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:15:10 pm »
if you're dispensing bromine tabs, you still need to use granular bromine or granular chlorine after each use. 1/2 teaspoon per 100gals-chlorine, 1teaspoon per 100gals-gran.bromine.

the tablets can not tell for how long or how often you're using the spa. I agree with mendocino101....low sanitizer
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:30:22 pm »
Also 1 tbs of shock is not enough...should be about 3 oz...

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 09:26:54 pm »
The Frog system does not keep the sanitizer up.  You could set it at 6 and probably not be there.  A good shock with dichlor will clear up your water.  Check your PH after that.  I have found that different types of test strips will provide different readings.  They all seem to read similar on the chlorine or bromine levels.  Good luck!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 11:52:53 pm »
The Frog system does not keep the sanitizer up.  You could set it at 6 and probably not be there.  A good shock with dichlor will clear up your water.  Check your PH after that.  I have found that different types of test strips will provide different readings.  They all seem to read similar on the chlorine or bromine levels.  Good luck!

Do you really shock a bromine spa with chlorine?

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:19:05 am »
The Frog system does not keep the sanitizer up.  You could set it at 6 and probably not be there.  A good shock with dichlor will clear up your water.

What do you base the above statement on??? Are you a dealer?  Do you own a Marquis spa with the frog system?
Are there any FACTS to back you up?  I'm not trying to be smart but I have an Epic on order and would like to know.
Thanks!

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 12:15:32 pm »
The Frog system does not keep the sanitizer up.  You could set it at 6 and probably not be there.  A good shock with dichlor will clear up your water.

What do you base the above statement on??? Are you a dealer?  Do you own a Marquis spa with the frog system?
Are there any FACTS to back you up?  I'm not trying to be smart but I have an Epic on order and would like to know.
Thanks!

drprwnap  8)

Let me clarify something here ...The Frog system works very well and is a very easy and convenient way to care for your water ....But you can use what ever system you like in your spa...Marquis has done a nice job by making the in-line feeder standard on their spas but the frog is used in many other brands by using the floater system ...both work the same, the in-line is nice beacuse you do not see it  and is a bit more efficient ....but the point is you are can use whatever water treatment you like the best... the brand of spa makes no difference ....

BadBack

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 04:39:47 pm »
Thanks Everyone for your help!  But here is a stupid question, what exactly is sanitizer, my dealer never mentioned it, so i am sure i am not doing it.  Please advise me.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 04:51:13 pm »
The yellow cartridge in the frog system is bromine....that is your sanitizer and needs to be changed 1 month and this can vary with use....

BadBack

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 08:42:27 pm »
ok so i am doing this.  Thanks for your help.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 08:49:36 pm »
stl-rex, yes you can add/ or shock a bromine spa with chlorine, it immediately turns into bromine.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:50:12 pm by hottub.pool_boy »
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 08:50:36 pm »
So Mendo, are you saying that the bromine cartridge is ALL you need for sanitizer as long as you change it out when needed?  I was lead to believe it's just a supplement to reduce the amount of sanitizer needed.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 10:07:34 pm »
yes it should be fine for normal use....now if you have a  party or extra people in the spa than you will need to supplant it with granular bromine or di chlor .....to boost it up for the extra use ....the frog is designed to keep your spa nice with minimal effort from you....it works well for those who are less diligent than others...as I have mentioned here before ....the fine folks on this board are a anomaly to the average hot tub owner....so a system that requires less thought and effort than others can be a good thing for many.....but if you have extra use than do add a little di chlor or bromine .....

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 10:30:59 pm »
Yes we own an epic
No not a dealer
Yes the frog system is not all it;'s put up to be.
The tub has had little use over the summer (got it in may) and the frog system set at 4 or 5 will not show much for sanitizer when testing.  The cartridge will last about three weeks when set at 3 to 4.  I had my dealer supply me with three bromine and six mineral cartridges as part of the deal.  I couldn't keep the bromine levels up unless I set the cartridge to 6 for a week then shock with MPS to convert dead bromine to useable bromine.  As the water gets older, the amount of bromine increases, so the setting goes down to 2 and shock with MPS to convert dead bromine to useable bromine.  Yes, it is a vicious cycle.  I found a source for high grade pucks to refill the cartridges - 10 bucks for a 150 gram 99% pure cartridge or thirty bucks for 3 kg (3000 grams) of pucks that are 97% pure.  That's about $1.50 per fill.  Well after all this, I decided that I like using dichlor.  My water stays clean and I don't mess with it too often.  Last week, I didn't open the lid for about 6 straight days and on Friday night, the water was a touch cloudy, I haven't checked the frog cartridge in about 2 weeks but I suspect it was empty.  I shocked with dichlor and it cleared up in about 20 minutes.  
I like to add dichlor just before a bunch of people come in, it sanitizes faster than dichlor and then it's gone.
Good luck

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 10:30:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42