What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: And the winner is...Hot Spring Grandee  (Read 3987 times)

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
And the winner is...Hot Spring Grandee
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:50:18 am »
After weeks of research and wet testing, we have finally selected our hot tub!  

We had narrowed it down to the Coleman 471 or 806, Hot Spring Grandee, and Sundance Optima.  I wet tested all of them myself and hoped that at the end of it the answer would be clear.   It wasn't, so my husband and I took last Friday to drive around to the three stores and wet test all of them together.   I should add here that, for me, a second wet test was extremely beneficial and I would recommend it.   I picked up a lot of things the second time around that I didn't the first time.  

We started out at the Coleman store.  After a second time in the 471, I decided it fit my body really well - even the lounger - and there was no float problem.  The 806 my husband and I pretty quickly decided just wasn't it for us, although it has some nice jets.  Overall, we were impressed with Coleman's product and think if you can find the right hot tub, you get a good product for a reasonable price.  Unfortunately, while it suited me fine, the 471 just didn't work well for my husband who is much bigger than I am.  

On to Hot Spring to test the Grandee, which I had liked a lot during the first wet test and could find nothing objectionable about other than the price.   We both liked the Moto-massage, open seating and ease of movement in the tub, user-friendly controls that are easily accessible, and the fact that you get a great massage.  While it has no lounger - which we didn't think we wanted anyway - you can actually spread out across two seats in the tub and treat it like a lounger if you want to.  

From there we wet tested the Sundance Optima.  My husband probably liked this one the best, and we both agreed the foot jets are terrific.  He thought the Optima offered a little bit better massage than the Grandee.   However, I had been a bit on the fence about the Optima and by the second wet test, I knew it just didn't work for me.  Unfortunately, one of the headrests cut into my shoulders during both wet tests.  Just a matter of how things hit me given my height, whereas my husband had no problems with it.  A second headrest in the tub wasn't all that comfortable for me, either.   Overall, I found I wasn't quite as comfortable in the Optima as I was in the other two tubs in the running.  We liked the styling of the Optima the best, but then that's got to be secondary.   One thing that made no sense is that Optima has taken out a second control I think due to the waterfall.   The controls have just got to be easily accessible.

They are all great tubs and I'd recommend any of them.  But, the Hot Spring Grandee won out since it worked for us both.  I'm so glad that I insisted on the wet testing.  I would not recommend purchasing a tub without doing it at least once and preferably twice.   It's too big a purchase not to.  

Now to rip off the old deck, build the new one, and enjoy our new Grandee!   We can't wait!

Hot Tub Forum

And the winner is...Hot Spring Grandee
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:50:18 am »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: And the winner is...Hot Spring Grandee
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:08:37 am »
Congratulations!  I hope you have many years of happiness with your new Grandee.  You made a great choice and your posting clearly explains the importance of wet testing.  

Regards,

Bill

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:10:40 am »
Great!! Now get to work on that deck, and may you soak long and prosper.

;D ;D
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Iceman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:15:17 am »
Did you get the updated Grandee? The updated model with two double motos is our favorite so far. Congratulations!

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:20:25 am »
Yes, I believe we got the 2006 model.  It has two double moto-massages.  Actually, I had first wet tested the Vanguard and thought I hated the moto-massage.  But what I didn't like was the single moto.   Funny, but I read from other people that the first time they tried the moto-massage they didn't like it.  But  the second time they tried it, they decided they did.  And that's exactly what happened to me.   If at first you don't think you like it, I think you need to give it a second chance.  I also wet tested the Vista.  But it was a bit more than we wanted to spend plus we decided we probably didn't want a lounger.  And I had a little float problem in that one.  

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 02:08:53 pm »
Congrats  You will love your tub for years to come.  You will also love the size of this tub whether it is just the tow of you or if you have a few guests along with you.  This tub is very very roomy.  Plus it is backed by the number one spa manufacturer in the WORLD.....(deflecting the arrows!!!)....I have had my HS  for almost 3 years with out any major problems and the minor problems I have had have been handled quickly and professionally.  Viva La HotSpring!!!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:18:57 pm »
The grandee rocks! Congratulations on the purchase!

-Ed

xqqqsme

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:32:29 pm »
Congrats!  I also selected the GRANDEE.  Put my order in 2.5 weeks ago. Can't wait for it to arrive!  I built a nice patio area in front of the deck for the firepit, added a new section of sunken deck with all new railings for the tub and it's almost done!

Waiting to soak, and soak, and soak!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 05:53:14 pm »
May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water!!

Still a love story with my Vanguard (2003).  Recently had my 2 year anniversary!  Best thing I have ever done for myself, well...next to getting a new job!  But I had to buy the tub while I had the old job, just to survive!!

Congrats!!!  Enjoy Spatopia!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

georgiapeach

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 02:08:04 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS on your Grandee!!!!  We bought our in Nov and absolutely love it!!!!!!  ;D

Peachy

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 03:42:44 pm »
Congratulations waggie!

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 05:46:26 pm »
Congrats!  Get soaking!
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 05:46:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42