What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Poll:  How long did it take you to decide on a spa  (Read 4217 times)

Brookenstein

Poll:  How long did it take you to decide on a spa
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:01:29 pm »
I'm curious how long it takes the average consumer to actually buy a spa after initially deciding they want one.

And once you are sure you want one and are ready to take the plunge, how long do you shop around until you find the 'right' one.

The 'boss' and I both want one, but we are finding it really hard to justify the expense when there are so many other life expenses out there that seem like they should take priority.

Hot Tub Forum

Poll:  How long did it take you to decide on a spa
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:01:29 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Poll:  How long did it take you to decide on a
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:14:19 pm »
For me, I always wanted a hot tub.  A few years ago, a "freind" gave me thier used hot tub, because they did not use it.  It actually was a  real shabby, low end tub, and the electric bill went through the roof.  I finally shut the tub down. It was too expseive to run.

However, I was hooked, and I had already put in a pad, and paid $500 for electrical. My wife and I talked and decided that since i used it so much, (at least 4 times a week) and that our friends enjoyed it, and it allowed us to  enjoy the backyard even in the winter, that we would get a new, more efficent spa.  We thought we'd spend about $4k.

I learned quickly that I'd have to bump the budget up to more like $7K to get the tub quality that I wanted.

We decided to give up 1 tropical vacation and buy the tub.
After all, the tub should last 10 + years, a vacation lasts 1 week.

It took us about 2 months to find the right tub.(I Looked at about 5 dealers (plus a ton of internet reserch.) Once finding the right tubs, wet testing, and fianlly decding we would take the plunge, it still took a 2 weeks for us to decide  the "final" go ahead and sign the contract.

Does that answer your question?

And PS. we're still taking the tropial vacation. It's amazing how you can save the cash for things you really "need". Costa Rica in 3 months. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:16:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

rickw

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:23 pm »
This is our third week.  Four wet tests and changed out minds at least three times.

A lot of internet research, probably about six hours on the sales floors.

Hoping to decide today or tomorrow.  Am waiting for any responses about Artesian Platinum series and one more wet test.

amat1950

• Happy Soaker- Tiger River Siberian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 12:40:51 pm »
We talked about getting one for about 1 month. We had a used  Jacuzzi tub about 15 or more years ago and got rid of it about 7 years ago. It was a very basic one for the time. We decide that it was time to buy one for theraputic advantages as well as the fun part. It took us about 2-2 1/2 months of looking, wet testing, and reading the Forum before we actually purchased one. We have only had it up and running for a week, but we love it.
Happy hunting. ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 01:40:06 pm »
We probably spent about 3 weeks shopping once we decided to pull the trigger.  We spent years prior to that kicking around the idea and waiting for the right time.
Brewman

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:16:45 pm »
We talked about it for 5 years or more but we never had a site for it. After recently buying a new house the backyard kept whispering, "spa, spa, hot tub, spa" ever so quietly. Once we heard the 'call of the mild' we set out.

On a spontaneous whim i started looking after an ad in the paper. After a few shoddy possibilities we tried two dealers in town and went with the Hydropool over the Arctic Spa. For 1400 dollars more we got 2-3 more seats, GFCI, steps, Piston lifted cover, 18 more jets, an additional 3 HP pump, Chem starter kit, Premium 5 year Warranty, solar sensitive Garden lighting, Deluxe LED lighting, towel rack, installed and delivered.

It helps to watch the Promos, i think and get the best deal. Dealers all seem to have a price point that they won't waver from but the add-ons get sweeter as this is what one ends up negotiating for...

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 02:20:31 pm »
About 3 mos of shopping and wet testing for the RIGHT tub. During that 3mos we had the concrete pad put in and scheduled electric to be done. After we found the right tub (in stock lucky for us), we had it delivered and installed within 1 week.

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 02:24:04 pm »
Been pining for one about 4 years. When serious, we took a few weeks to decide which one.

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 02:25:31 pm »
We never thought about owning a hot tub until our daughter bought a house that had one.  That was last year around Christmas time.  I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.  I was amazed at how much soaking in the hot tub relaxed me.  It was after that experience that we started kicking around the idea of buying one.

Once we started the process of looking, I found this forum.  I guess it took us about 2-3 months of research, looking, and wet testing to decide.  It was one of the most difficult things I did.  I'm the "analyst" and I nick/pick everything.  Like a lot of people, I wanted the best, most perfect tub I could find BUT at a cost that wouldn't break us. 

Now we're in the process of laying a concrete slab and a screened room to house our Marquis Epic.  It's been a long process and I'm so ready to have my tub!!  I know it will be worth the wait when I take that first soak.

Good luck and take your time to find the right tub for you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:39:17 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 05:16:33 pm »
We spent about 10 months looking at just about every local brand we could get into (except Cal Spas, but don't get me started).  We wet tested HS, Arctic, Coleman, Jacuzzi, Clearwater, Marquis, D-1, LA Spas, Artesian, and Sundance before selecting the Marquis Epic.  We liked aspects of just about all the tubs, but it came down to what best fit us.  It took so long because we never left a wet test knowing that was the tub we wanted, until we sat in the Epic.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 05:55:39 pm »
After seriously deciding I was going to buy a tub....about three weeks to purchase.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 06:09:19 pm »
I wanted one for about 10 years and I was finally able to get one.

I started "looking" about 1 year before I expected to have it delivered and actuually put a deposit down 6 months before delivery.

My dealer was the only one who suggested to put a deposit down on the tub to hold the price. I went into her store in October and wanted a Spring delivery and she held the price for 6 months - Besides getting a good deal, I got a 2005 tub at a 2004 price.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 06:09:59 pm »
We had a spa but sold it with our old house.  When we were building the deck on our new house we planned on buying a new spa.  I went looking at two brands on a Thursday - took my husband to look at the same two on Saturday.  Spent about 20 minutes at the first, about an hour at the second.  Didn't wet test any.  Placed the order that day.  Got it about a month later and love it!!!  Definitely made the right decision for us!!

Susan

freddortort

• waiting..waiting..waiting..waiting
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 06:53:24 pm »
Started looking last year.  Waiting for a landscape designer to help plan our entire patio (approx 1200-1500 sq ft)

Have it narrowed to Sundance Cameo and HS Envoy.  The Sundance dealer insulted me SO back to the Envoy.  Wettested several times - - - don't want "buyer's remorse"

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 07:13:53 pm »
I got the idea to first purchase a tub because that was where you could always find me anytime I stayed in a hotel or resort that had one.  

I purchased a tub years ago but there weren't many choices back then so it didn't take long at all to decide on which one to get.  

Moved away to Florida where I had a pool so I didn't miss not having a tub.

Now I've moved to Missouri and after the first cold snap (probably only 60 degrees), I was ready for another one.    I searched the internet for dealers and visited everyone of them within 70 miles.  Took about 2 weeks to narrow it down to three that I really liked.  Tested those and picked the one that fit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 07:13:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42