What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fair season  (Read 2466 times)

salesdvl

Fair season
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:27:55 am »
I was just curious if any dealers have any feedback on the state or county fairs this year so far?  The word I'm hearing is that they are way down.
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

Fair season
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:27:55 am »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: Fair season
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 12:54:14 pm »
ten years ago we expended a lot of energy with little residual results. We're revisisting the idea.  
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Micah

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:21:19 pm »
In S. California I know the major fairs are way down.  Del mar, Orange and L.A. all are about 60% of last year.  But what do you expect when the average cost of a booth is around 100K.  Then fly in a group of "hired guns" (road sales crew) and pay them 10% of the gross sales.  How is a dealer going to make a profit unless they charge more at the fair than they do in the showroom.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 05:12:40 pm »
Most people do not want to believe that about the costs of the fairand the so called "deal" I also point out to look at who you see at the Fairs here in So Cal now....none of what most or many consider to be the main stream manufactures ....but those who spas seem to be most a like......meaning company's who promote more lights , chrome and flash ....than those who are talking about build quality , energy efficiency ...dealer support ...etc....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 05:13:22 pm by Mendocino101 »

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 09:39:01 pm »
Maybe thats the case in S. Cal but I know in the NY state fair Hot Spring, Sundance, D-One, & Jacuzzi were all there as well as others.  And yes, booth costs are terrible.
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 11:47:32 pm »
We do between 30 and 40 deals every year at the fair. This year was a bit lower but not much (I'm still trying to dig myself out so I’m not sure) but we haven't gotten all of the finance info back to know for sure what we can call good deals.

I'm finding that for the most part the headaches we deal with after the fact from having a show team are just not worth it. I would almost rather my people where at the fair and the show team was in the store during these events...It would alleviate a lot of problems.

Every year I say I'm not doing the fair and every year I do....It always brings the wrong crowd and every deal is a finance nightmare or between the costs and negotiation, not profitable.

I'm beginning to think that the type of customer that I get on average at the fair might be better suited for my competition and that I don't need them that bad...

We do get a few good ones but again…I can’t say that it’s worth it for all of the bad ones.

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 09:57:36 am »
I agree Stu.  I can also say that it is difficult to be the "show team" guy on the other end.  Its a totally differrent approach to selling.  I went to help at the NY state fair and felt a little like a fish out of water.  The simple "Where do you live?" had to be changed to "How far from the fair do you live?" because I had no idea where any of the towns were.  And invariabley we had a few deliveries after the fair that were way farther out than they should have been.
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 10:45:56 am »
I agree Stu.  I can also say that it is difficult to be the "show team" guy on the other end.  Its a totally differrent approach to selling.  I went to help at the NY state fair and felt a little like a fish out of water.  The simple "Where do you live?" had to be changed to "How far from the fair do you live?" because I had no idea where any of the towns were.  And invariabley we had a few deliveries after the fair that were way farther out than they should have been.

There is a differance between actually working for the factory though and those that are "sales mercs" and will sell anything. Manufactures should have thier own teams that sell nothing else and it would help.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 11:17:08 am »
Maybe thats the case in S. Cal but I know in the NY state fair Hot Spring, Sundance, D-One, & Jacuzzi were all there as well as others.  And yes, booth costs are terrible.

None of those are in So Cal.....

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 08:13:48 pm »
There is a differance between actually working for the factory though and those that are "sales mercs" and will sell anything. Manufactures should have thier own teams that sell nothing else and it would help.

True.  There was a guy that got fired from one booth and was selling in another booth the next day!
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 08:13:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42