What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water testing kits...  (Read 3089 times)

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
Water testing kits...
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:21:17 am »
Do you use strips or liquid kits?  Which is easier to use?  Which do you feel are the most accurate?

When you test the water do you just put the strip any place in the water?   When you need to add something to the water, do you put it in the filter compartment?

Hot Tub Forum

Water testing kits...
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:21:17 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Water testing kits...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:31:51 am »
Do you use strips or liquid kits?  Which is easier to use?  Which do you feel are the most accurate?

When you test the water do you just put the strip any place in the water?   When you need to add something to the water, do you put it in the filter compartment?

I use both;

I use test strips most of the time unless something is not looking good and then I break out the kit.

I try to dip the strips into the water atleast 12 inches in from the edge and down atleast 10 inches.

I add most things by "broadcasting them in the spa. I was taught many years ago by HotSpring to always add everything to the filter compartment but I've never really seen it make a differance.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:44:33 am »
I was told that liquid on liquid gives a better reading and have been considering getting one of the dropper test kits.  For now, I use the 4 way test strips and go for a free analasis once a month when buying chemicals.

One thig I notice is the ph box on the strips only colors in a small part of the box and the rest stays relatively white.  Just one more struggle in my battle with ph perfection.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:47:26 am »
Probably the best thing that anyone can tell you is that it aint rocket science and close is okay ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:47:47 am by stuart »

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 12:14:43 pm »
How long are the test strips?  They're obviously longer than I thought if you can dip them in 10 inches of water. How long does it take to get your results?  Thanks for the info.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
No, you gotta get your hands wet ;) ;D 8)

Bosmani

• lifes to short to drink cheap wine
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 01:21:38 pm »
Take away the guessing and get a Taylor test kit........Close is never good enough when you can get it right....

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 01:24:26 pm »
I was taught many years ago by HotSpring to always add everything to the filter compartment but I've never really seen it make a differance.

I always tell people they should add chems into the filter basket with teh spa water circulating. When I get that "does it really matter look" I explain that it is fine to add in the main part of the tub as long as you diperse it very well (or "broadcast" as Stuart stated) as the real no-no is to drop it as a "lump" in the same spot all the time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:17:39 pm »
Test strips are great.

A taylor test is better if you have the time.

Do not use a small liquid test kit. the one with just ph and chlorine test. The reason is the chlorine test tests only total chlorine, not the free available chlorine that the strips test.

A taylor kit will test ph, free chlorine, total chlorine, alkalinity, and calcium
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 09:40:59 pm »
No, you gotta get your hands wet ;) ;D 8)

Unless you have someone else do it.   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 09:40:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42