What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance 700 Series Spas  (Read 4020 times)

Brookenstein

Sundance 700 Series Spas
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:36:45 pm »
I was curious if anyone had any feedback on this line of spas.  

I was surprised to learn tonight that my parents have the Cayman and paid less than $3500 for it last year.  They are perfectly happy with it, granted their old spa was 15+ years old with the heat control inside the cabinet, so I think anything was an improvement.   ;)  The only problem they've encountered was the heater did go out, but it was replaced under the warranty with no hassles.

If I'm looking for a no frills, starter tub on a limited budget would this be an okay way to go?  Or do I just wait 5 more years before I can afford what I really want?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance 700 Series Spas
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:36:45 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sundance 700 Series Spas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:07:31 pm »
The 700 series used to be called Sweet Water spas under Sundance and they are the secondary line for Sundance. There's nothing wrong with them, we all can't afford those $10,000 luxury spas!

I looked at the Bahia and a friend actually bought one - they love it. I don't know where the Cayman fits into the spa line but the Bahia was $6,300 last year.

I looked high and low and saw a lot of spas. I wanted a spa without a lounger and that my family of 4 could sit in  without being squished. I started thinking that I could get a spa for $5,000 but really didn't see anything, went to $6,000 and saw some spas slightly higher and put a cap on myself at $7,000 because I really didn't want to spend a ton of money at this point in my life. Once the kids are gone and we downsize ... well that's another story.

I don't know your budget but here's my opinion - take a look for yourself if dealers are around (prices are from 2004): Colemans are nice and are around $6K, Down East Spas are nice and about $6K, Beachcombers come in at different price points, the 700 series from Sundance and I bought an Artesian Island series for about $7K with tax. There are other secondary lines from Hot Springs, Marquis and D1, I didn't get to see them.

If you do have an Artesian dealer around you, the Island series is pretty interesting. They have different sized tubs and each tub comes in different jet / pump configuration.

Good Luck!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:25:53 pm »
Milf,

Have you thought about buying a used high end spa that is a few years old?  Since you are in So. Cal maybe you can find one in the Recycler or talk to your local dealers.  Maybe Chas or 101 could point you in the right direction.

I was curious if anyone had any feedback on this line of spas.  

I was surprised to learn tonight that my parents have the Cayman and paid less than $3500 for it last year.  They are perfectly happy with it, granted their old spa was 15+ years old with the heat control inside the cabinet, so I think anything was an improvement.   ;)  The only problem they've encountered was the heater did go out, but it was replaced under the warranty with no hassles.

If I'm looking for a no frills, starter tub on a limited budget would this be an okay way to go?  Or do I just wait 5 more years before I can afford what I really want?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:27:58 pm »
Hmmm, sounds like my parents may have paid a very good price on theirs.  The Bahia, is bigger, but your price quote is a lot higher than I would have expected given what they paid.  Theirs is a Sweetwater, an 03 that they bought in 04 at a once a year close out sale in Portland, OR.

Thanks for the reccomendation of brands.  Unfortunately at this point I think they are too spendy.  The top I have in my head right now that I can almost justify is about $5k.  The $3500 is much more doable in terms of the guilt factor  (we really need a fence and new carpet or wood floor, but I'd prefer the hot tub first).  But. I'm guessing I won't find anything decent in that price range (especially here in SocCal)...  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 10:34:43 pm »
Every person's pricing is different. There's someone on this board that paid $1,000 less for the sister tub of mine. That's a big chunk of change! But my price in NJ is a very good price.

I think you should do the research by going to dealers - you never know what's out there. I have a Vita dealer by me that according to their internet website has a bunch of new tubs from 2003 and 2004. I wasn't interested in Vita but if I was ... maybe I could have picked up a bargin

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 10:35:58 pm »
LOL, Gomboman.   ;)

Chas is a bit far from me, but I was gonna check out 101 next week hopefully.  I have looked on craigslist for used ones, but there hasn't been anything.  I guess a big thing for me is the warranty.  If I bought used and we had a problem, my husband would probably try to fix it since there would most likely be no warranty.  With my luck he'd electrocute himself or something and his life insurance policy isn't big enough for me to take that chance.   :D

Hot tub shopping seems to be just like Central AC shopping.  Everyone I know swears they spent next to nothing and got top of the line and then when I go shopping, I get 8 quotes and they are still thousands higher than everyone else.  

I'll check out Recycler.  

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 10:40:25 pm »

I think you should do the research by going to dealers - you never know what's out there.

That is the plan.  I've been waiting to get some bids on leveling the slope and adding a retaining wall so that the spa can be up on the hillside.  Once I know if we can afford that or not, I will know if the hot tub is even an option and I can get serious about it.

We tend to be impusle shoppers, so I want to be as prepared as possible before I'm actually at a dealer.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:42:03 pm »
Here's the website to prove my point:

http://poolnspaplace.com/html/spas.html

It says April but they don't update their website too often.

As for central AC, look into Amana. I bought a gas furnace and central AC about 3 years ago and got a 92% efficient furnace and 14+ SEER AC for $4400 and got $600 in rebates too. The thing is BUILT like a tank and because they don't spend the money on advertising - they are some what cheaper. I did get price quotes for other  companies up to $8,000!

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:50:48 pm »
As for central AC, look into Amana.

I ended up with a 14seer American Standard Variable Speed Furnace.  I think it is only 80%, but in SoCal I don't need higher efficency on the heat portion.  It was $5300, and then a $600 rebate from SCE.  I had the Rheem guy and AS guy in a bidding war and I'm happy with the price I paid, given I had bids for over $10k.  It was just $5k I didn't expect to pay because we thought the AC was covered by the home warranty.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm off to watch the rest of the Raider game.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:50:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42