What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cloudy Water Clear - Now how do I keep it that way  (Read 4501 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Cloudy Water Clear - Now how do I keep it that way
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:26:33 pm »
Water is good(see cloudy water post). Now how do I keep it good.  How much Dichlor do you guys recommend as an after use shock and how much weekly.  Remember I am also using Nature 2.

Hot Tub Forum

Cloudy Water Clear - Now how do I keep it that way
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:26:33 pm »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Re: Cloudy Water Clear - Now how do I keep it that
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 05:00:11 pm »
My tub is 450 gallons - I use it twice a day, for at least 30 minutes each time, at a minimum - have ozonator and nature2.  I add 1 teaspoon of dichlor a day, 2 teaspoons if my husband joins me (rare).  I don't shock weekly, more like every 2 weeks and I use 2 tablespoons of dichlor when I shock.

Except for some ph increaser every week or two that's all I put into my tub.  Water has been crystal clear since day one - over two months old now.

Hope this helps.
Susan

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 06:02:43 pm »
1\2 teaspoon per 100gals. for regular use (1-2 people up to 20mins), 1 teaspoon per 100gals for heavy use(over 20mins or 3-4 people). That's after each and every use, even if it's twice a day.

Weekly- 1 teaspoon per 100gals. add in the evening when you're done using spa. or wait 4-8 hrs. before re-entering. leave spa cover 1/2 open for 15mins. after weekly dose.

Every third or forth weekly treatment- take clean rag or sponge and wipe super-chlorinated spa water on spa shell above water line and underside of cover. this will eliminate the musty smell when you open the cover prior to using spa.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:49:42 pm »
Ever since I began using the bromine floater with the dissolving tablets and adding a few caps of clarifyer each week along with my weekly mps shock, and a little scale and stain remover, remembering to add teaspoons of sanitizer after I wobble out of my tub in a relaxed state is a distant memory along with the cloudy water I saw in the beginning.

My levels are perfect besides an occasional ph down or alk up and even rarer; a bromine boost.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 08:36:06 pm »
I have a 400 gallon tub and use 2 teaspoons when I get out which is equivilent to 1/2 teaspoon per 100 gallons that hottub.pool_boy said. I usually soak by myself (talk about having room in a 8'x8' tub) but if someone joins me, I will add 1 or 2 teaspoons per person extra.

As far as shock, I use about 2 - 3 tablespoons. I added 2 tablespoons last night (about 9:30) after 3 of us soaked and I had 3 PPM at 9:00 this morning. I'm sure there weren't any germs left!

I have shocked the water when cloudy and from what I observed my cloudiness wasn't from bacteria, it was from gunk that the filter released because I didn't clean it. I have put 1 tablespoon in my tub and 30 min later the water was still at 5 or so PPM.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 10:26:31 pm »
There are a number of sanitizing systems on the market, and most of them work fine for a lot of people. Orlandoguy- uses bromine tabs, that's great. But Mark said HIS system is chlorine and Nature2. lets not change his system, but help him use the one he's got.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 10:53:18 pm »
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't change his system now, rather tweak it.  I am under them impression that changing now without a complete drain would make things worse anyway.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 01:25:07 am »
Your guys are right, I want to stick to Nature 2 and Dichlor.  I added 1 teaspoon after a soak and my chlorine reading was 3 ppm after 20 minutes.  So that should work.  I plan on a weekly shock of 2 tablespoons.  Weekly Clarifier and Stain and Scale inhibitor.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:54:12 am »
I shocked with 2 tablespoons on Friday night and this morning it's finally down to 3 ppm.  That's why I don't shock very often - keeps me out of the tub too long!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 07:34:43 am »
Your guys are right, I want to stick to Nature 2 and Dichlor.  I added 1 teaspoon after a soak and my chlorine reading was 3 ppm after 20 minutes.  So that should work.  I plan on a weekly shock of 2 tablespoons.  Weekly Clarifier and Stain and Scale inhibitor.

This shows you why everyone's tub is different I have a 400 gallon tub too and I need 2 teaspoons to reach that 3 PPM!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 12:06:30 pm »
Your one tsp after use and two tblsp for shock seem to be right on target.  I use about one tsp after use for my 485 gal spa.  When I used dichlor to shock, I added two tblspns.  I do not use dichlor alone to shock any more.  I hated to wait to use the spa again and it drove my CYA levels through the roof.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 12:06:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42