What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie needs guidance  (Read 4672 times)

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
Newbie needs guidance
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:37:12 pm »
great forum...very helpful thus far in my search for the holy grail- MY Perfect Hottub.  I have narrowed my choices in the upstate NY region.  I am looking at the DownEast Windsor or the CalSpas J508.   Does anyone have any input to either of these models or companies as a whole.  I really appreciate the help.  Both of these models have been quoted around $6500 or so.  Thanks in advance.  

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie needs guidance
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:37:12 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Newbie needs guidance
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:47:15 pm »

Now the Cal

Standard Features

Seating Capacity: 7 Person
Dimensions: 93" x 93" x 39½"
Dry Weight: 900 lbs
Filled Weight: 4,648 lbs
Water Capacity: 450 gal
Control System: 5300 Smart Control Pack
Power Supply: 240V
* Heater: 5.5 kW Low-Flow XL Heat Exchanger
Lighting: 1 x 12V Large LED Light w/ Clear, Red, and Blue Lenses
Filtration Pumps: 24-Hour Filtration+ System
* Booster Pumps: 3 x 145-T Frame GE 5.0 BHP 240V Switchless Booster Pump
* Pumps: Eliminator Plus Wet Ends
Total Jets: 44
Jets: 6 x Storm Jets CXLW
 2 x Storm Jets CXW
 1 x Storm Jets MJLW
 2 x Storm Jets SFW
 1 x Storm Jets SXW
 24 x Micro Flow Jets mfp
 4 x Micro Swirl Jets msp
 4 x Euro Jets EP
Jet Ring Trim: Standard Grey
Waterfalls: 2 w/ LED Lighting
Diverter Valves: 1 x 1" Comfort Diverter Valves
 2 x 2" Comfort Diverter Valves
Air Control Valves: 5 x Easy-Flo Air Venturi
Pillows: 5 x Pillowsage Headrests
Plumbing: 2" Pipes
Filters: 150 ft² Bio-Clean Anti-Bacterial Filter
Water Management: Cal-Zone Quest 2000 Ozonator
Intakes: 3
Bottom Drain: Standard
Shell: Quarite Acrylic
Shell Trim: Cal-Trim
Cabinet Frame: Pressure-Treated Wood
Cabinet Panel: Cal Select
Bottom Tray: Standard
Insulation: Thermo-Fill Full-Foam
Cover: Standard
* Warranty: 10 x Years Structure
 5 x Years Finish
 5 x Years Parts
 5 x Years Labor

In case you wanted to see them on the same page.

Down East must have great filtration if they recommend cake and coffee in the spa.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 12:49:42 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 01:14:38 pm »

CAL SPAS!

Another option in this class with more therapy than the J508 would be the h-904 comparable in every way except it has mor room and neck and shoulder therapy with optional foot dome! Wet test the two brands and see wich one will suit you best! Good luck! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:26:07 pm »
I would NEVER, EVER consider a Cal Spas again.  We had a Cal Spas in the mid 90's that had multiple problems (cracked shell, heater fried, jets didn't work properly).  Their customer service was absolutely the worst I have ever seen for anything we have ever bought.  Ended up having to file an insurance claim, trashing the tub, and buying a new tub.  Would reccomend almost anything over a Cal Spas.  Good Luck.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:27:25 pm »
You should do additional searches here around Cal-spa.  There are many posts regarding poor quality and customer service from Cal-spa.  It is probably the last brand of choice (other than ***** spas) of the seasoned forum members that don't sell Cal-spa.  While Master has had it's interesting marketing issues (Master makes DownEast), I haven't seen them lit up for poor quality.  I claim no direct knowledge other than observations here which is why I encourage you to read on your own.

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 02:12:34 pm »
i appreciate the help.  i considered Jacuzzi as well but the hitch in the warranty scared me off.  (in the event a problem cannot be fixed, the owner is responsible for costs of shipping the tup back to the manufacturer for replacement).  Saratoga Spas tend to sell alot in this area as well.

one last item...is it generally an acceptable approach to "dicker" with the sales person?  Is it like car buying or more like furniture shopping?  Thanks in advance...hope to be tubbin in a few weeks...

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 02:13:35 pm »
Harry,
Have you looked at other brands??  There are many quality tubs out there, look around.  Also, have you wet tested? This is a MUST, IMO.  Search this forum and you'll find all kinds of good info.

Good luck,
drprwnap   8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 02:19:33 pm »
i have looked at Sundance, Saratoga, Hot Springs/Tiger River, Vita, Jacuzzi and Hydropool.  Some other intriguing vendors are not local.  Looking at models, pumps, warranties, price range, my analysis came down to the few that I mentioned.  IMO, the Down East was the most comfortable with the most leg/foot space.  Great feedback...thanks

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 02:30:46 pm »
WOW , A few bad comments by posters some even being salesmen from other manufatcures sets presidence over the other 100's of thousands of happy customers out there? Further every brand will have its complaints if you dig deep enough! In Colorado we out sell every brand in the market with and guess what, we only sell Cal Spas and have since 1989 with out selling anyother brand ever, the same is to be said about Cal Spas in Minnesota! So before ruling out the Cal Spas check out the other dealers in your area! They are a great tub built incredibally strong i could give 100's of positive testimonies of happy Cal Spas customers! So I wouldnt take it from me or anyone on here I would research further than these boards to find out the truth about Cal Spas! Again Good Luck!!!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:47:02 pm »
Say what you will about Cal Spas, but they do have a huge presence here in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area.
They must move a lot of tubs- the stores are everywhere, and they remain open.  
This isn't an endorsement or dis-endorsement of the product.
Or is it de-endorsement, or un-endorsement?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 02:47:31 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 02:54:41 pm »
i have looked at Sundance, Saratoga, Hot Springs/Tiger River, Vita, Jacuzzi and Hydropool.  Some other intriguing vendors are not local.  Looking at models, pumps, warranties, price range, my analysis came down to the few that I mentioned.  IMO, the Down East was the most comfortable with the most leg/foot space.  Great feedback...thanks

If you're in the Capital Region, check out Marquis spas at
  CASUAL LIVING POOLS & PATIO
  120 SARATOGA ROAD
  SCOTIA, NY - 12302
  Phone: (518) 399-6991
  Fax: (518) 399-6901

I bought my Reward from them. They're a family business, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 03:00:50 pm »
In Colorado we out sell every brand in the market

Yea, but do you have DAIT? ;D How about a "Customer unloads their own spa option"?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:15:42 pm »
Thanks Brewman, I work for that dealer in fact I personally sold some tubs there at the Cal Spa show in the spring! I must say between Colorado and Minnesota we are potentially the largest spa dealer in the world, depending on the Thermos spa (dealer or not dealer debate) Again theres a reason for our successes! Who knows maybe DAIT is in our future!!!!!!LOL

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 03:18:04 pm »
Who knows maybe DAIT is in our future!!!!!!LOL

Be sure to tell your wife if you start Daiting!

I now return this thread back to a serious not with apologies to Harry the Jet.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:18:21 pm by wmccall »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 03:21:09 pm »

Yea, but do you have DAIT? ;D How about a "Customer unloads their own spa option"?

And what about a "Sunkist, bleached wood aged" cabinet & Shell option?  Only I'm not sure that it's optional, everyone gets it.

Nobody else can have DAIT, because it's pattented.  Oh, wait, no it isn't.  Per "J", putting a patent on it would encourage someone to copy the idea.  

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:22:39 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 03:21:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42