What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking about buying..Spa questions....  (Read 3266 times)

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
Thinking about buying..Spa questions....
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:32:54 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie.  My hubby and I want to buy a spa pretty soon.  I've read that getting a 220 volt is a must.  A 110 volt cannot keep the water hot in the wintertime, and you cannot run the heater and jets at the same time.  Is this true?  It's not any more difficult to have an electrician install a 220 circuit is it?  Also we're strongly considering a Tiger River spa, but we're concerned about the full foam insulation.  I've read that if you have a leak, full foam is a nightmare.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. :)

Hot Tub Forum

Thinking about buying..Spa questions....
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:32:54 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Thinking about buying..Spa questions....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 03:37:32 pm »
Where do you live?  I live in SoCal and have been told that 110 would be fine here, but if I lived in a colder climate, that I would need 220.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 03:41:51 pm »
Welcome to the board.  You have just asked a question that has no answer.  It is like discussing religion or politics to someone.  

The bottom line is that many will tell you pros and cons of FF and TP.  I think that full foam is an excellent choice, but it is true that there is some work required when fixing a leak.  Many argue that FF tubs will ultimately prevent leaks more so than a TP tub.

I have a TP tub and really like the fact that if I want to fix something I just open the side and go to the area.

Ultimately dont let the issue of FF or TP effect your decision.  It is such a minor issue.  A good brand name tub is built well.  Do a search if you are really concerned and you will read tons of posts.

Honestly dont let it be a contributing factor it is such a minor factor.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 03:43:54 pm »
I would concern yourself with the comfort of the seats and jets rather than the insulation.  If you read here, there is a great debate regarding FF/nonFF tubs.  I think the consensus is they are both effective and efficient when done properly.  If at all possible, wet test several brands and models to understand what works best for you.  Stick to well known, reputable brands that have sales/service reasonably close to you and feel comfortable with both the spa and the spa dealer.  While others will chime in with their brands, I have examined/tested these in person and found them all to be good tubs, but some fit me better than others.  Arctic, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hot Springs, Dimension 1, Caldera, Coleman

Unless you are getting a 1-2 seater, you probably will like the performance you get from 220 better and in fact will have few options other than 220.  It costs more to run the electric for it - $500+ depending on your particular layout.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:54:30 pm »
110 can work for very ...depnding on climate and how long you spend in your spa .....if on average you are in the spa 15 to 20 minutes you should be fine in a well insulated spa .....at that point you will most likely start to lose temp.....in the first 15 to 20 minutes it may only be 1 degree maybe 2 ....in colder climates ....the thing to consider when 110 vs 220 is that IF you have to have 20 amp 110 than at that point you might as well go to 220 since most people will have to run a dedicated 20 amp 110 line and at this point the bulk of the cost savings will be lost....( electrician cost ) .....220 will a minimal amount more in most cases.

Cass

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 03:56:09 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I live in Colorado, so it can get pretty darn cold at times.  I'll take your advice and try to concern myself more with comfort than with the insulation.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:58:03 pm by Cass »

Cass

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 04:00:59 pm »
Another question....Can we just put the spa right on our concrete patio?  Is that a strong enough base?  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 04:16:05 pm »
The standard is 4" of concrete.  I'd say if your patio meets that criteria, and is pretty level, you might be ok.
The concrete should be in solid good condition, not cracked, crumbling, or otherwise rough shape.
Check the warranty of any spa you purchase to see what their specific foundation requirements are.  
Some patios may be sloped to help water drain, you may want to check that too.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:44:32 am »
Go with the 220v.  It will allow you to run the heater and the pumps at the same time, and given you are in CO,  it will make a difference.

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

poopsy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 11:10:12 am »
hi....where in colorado r u? i am in denver and still looking for a tub as well...i have to wet test sundance-caldera-hs-and marquis..

Cass

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 11:13:01 am »
Well we went and tested some spas last night, and we LOVED the Tiger River Caspian!!!  I'm thinking we'll wind up buying that one.  The foot dome is wonderful!!!  It only is available in 220, so that took care of that question.  They're willing to sell us the Caspian with UV ozone, a cover with EZ lift, steps, chemicals, in home orientation, and delivery and setup for right around $7300.00    :) :)    

drprwnap

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 11:37:56 am »
Welcome to the BEST hot tub forum, Cass!  Take some time and read through some older posts in here.  You will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet!  :D
Look at all the major brands.  You will find one other piece of advice- WET TEST.  You don't know how a tub will feel unless you get it wet.
Good luck.

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 12:30:56 pm »
Well we went and tested some spas last night, and we LOVED the Tiger River Caspian!!!  I'm thinking we'll wind up buying that one.  The foot dome is wonderful!!!  It only is available in 220, so that took care of that question.  They're willing to sell us the Caspian with UV ozone, a cover with EZ lift, steps, chemicals, in home orientation, and delivery and setup for right around $7300.00    :) :)    

That's about what I paid, but I got a Corona Discharge Ozinator.  I didn't  think they had a UV unit ?

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 12:30:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42