What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for the pros  (Read 9234 times)

mjyp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question for the pros
« on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:11 pm »
We finally made our decision to buy a tub, we have it narrowed down to 2 models

The Jacuzzi J365 and the Sundance Optima.

Now the hard part, they are nearly both the same, except for a couple of extra bells and whistles.

What I need are the pros and cons for all owners of the above spas.

One big plus in my eyes is the Jacuzzi is a bit cheaper. The stainless jets on the Sundance appear to be plated and will most likely need replacement in a couple of years.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:03:49 pm by mjyp »

Hot Tub Forum

Question for the pros
« on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:11 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Question for the pros
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 01:30:46 pm »

The stainless jets on the Sundance appear to be plated and will most likely need replacement in a couple of years.

Not true on either count.
Brewman
Brewman

mjyp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 02:37:34 pm »
I took one out and they are not solid stainless, if they are not plated then what are they??

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:51:55 pm »
Is there any benifit to the SS jets,  or is it all cosmetic?
07 Caldera Geneva

mjyp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:41:28 pm »
that is why i favor the j365, just really wanted some feed back on both tubs is all.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 04:19:01 pm »
Is there any benifit to the SS jets,  or is it all cosmetic?

cosmetic
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 04:34:11 pm »
They may be plated, if so, they are done well.  Going on 3 years, and ours still look brand new.
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:38:49 pm »
Mine are over three years and look new.  A friend has a ten year old SD and his still look new.

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 04:43:39 pm »
Hey MJYP, Jacuzzi J-355 owner here.  Same size as the 365, except with lounger.  I too looked at the Sundance's.  Here's my breakdown and why I went with Jacuzzi.

Along with the price being significantly higher, the only other major differences I saw were...

1.  fluid -x jets - could be very good(Jacuzzi IMHO has incredible, unique jets)
2.  filtration - different (better or same as Jac?)
3.  blower - the button you push and the whole tubs starts sending bubbles out (gadget - like waterfalls are as far as I'm concerned) I may be ignorant here of some actual benefit of this feature?

Similarities

1.  Shells - exact same materials and colours available
2.  Cabinets - almost exactly the same - Maxxus has identical cabinet
3.  Cover (not that this matters much) but they're identical
4.  Warranty - I'm not sure here but they appear similar

So I think you're on the right track.  However, I can say that we made our decision also based on a comfort with the dealer (who I knew from previous tubs I'd owned) and the fact that he is a client of mine and my wife's (we're both in advertising sales)

To me, Jacuzzi makes a very good tub at a great price.  My friend, who owns a late model HS Grandee was in my tub for the first time the other night and loved it.  He was very impressed with the jetting.  

Good luck hunting....

BTW, the platinum shell w/ coastal cabinet looks awesome (in Jacuzzi or Sundance)

Mark

mjyp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 04:45:14 pm »
So aside from the jets, I really want to kno what you all feel about either tub should you happen to own one of them.

Instead of getting into a discussion about the SS or plastic jets.

thanks in advance for any tub feedback (J365 or Optima)

airheads

• '05 SD Maxxus!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 07:57:27 pm »
Well I'm not a pro, but thought I would respond since we had our choice down to the Jacuzzi 385 and the Sundance Maxxus.  Both appear to be very good tubs, and from what I know they are made in the same factory or something.  The Sundance jets do not have any moving parts, whereas the Jacuzzi does - I don't know if that really matters but I liked that point.  I liked the filtration system on the Maxxus better, and suposedly it can trap particles down to 5 microns.  We liked the bells and whistles, and the Sundance seems to have a few more.  But when it came down to it - my wife liked the Jacuzzi better because of the open feel.  We then wet tested them both, one after the other, Jacuzzi first.  The Jacuzzi felt great, I was about sold but we did the other test with the Maxxus.   I found that the Maxxus had a more intense massage, and seemed a little more versatile.  My wife was then sold on the Sundance.  

I was a little concerned about the stainless jets too, but people have not had problems with them.  The price difference for both was around $800 and when you're already spending so much, that isn't too bad.  So I guess it comes down to this - go and wet test both - the same day if you can.  I would have been fine with either but the choice was clearer with the wet test.

mjyp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 09:01:56 pm »
We did the wet test on both, the dealer (Great Escape  Chicago land burbs) carries both models.

Wife and I loved them both, which is whey this is so hard.

So far it's a dead heat as fa as positive/negative input.

One way or another come this Saturday we will be a new spa owner.

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 06:34:31 pm »
I was torn over the J385 and Marquis Epic.  We went with the Epic.  I don't know what price quotes you've gotten on the Jacuzzi and the Sundance.  We wet tested the J385 and the Sundance Cameo.  Maybe Sundance has a few more bells & whistles but I think they both felt the same.  Maybe between the two you're looking at it comes down to price IMO.
2005 Marquis Epic

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 07:26:54 pm »
The Sundance 880 Series (which the Optima is) not only has the Microfilter instead of the traditional paper filter, the circulation pump on the 880 Series moves 35 gallons per minute as opposed to 5-7 gallons per minute in everyone elses(including Jacuzzi). 50000 gallons filtered per day versus 10000 gallons per day.
If you dont want bells and whistes- SS jets, waterfall, blower, Microfilter, etc. compare the Jacuzzi to the Sundance 780 Series (The Bahia in this case)  Paper filter, 7 GPM circ pump, plastic jets, etc. at a price that should be LOWER than a Jacuzzi.

Good Luck!!!!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 12:58:20 pm »
As a dealer for another line of tubs (which I'll not mention here, since it isn't one you're considering), if I was in your position, I'd take the Sundance.  They are the only other brand outside of what I sell that I would ever recommend to friends or family.  

I definately recommend wet testing both lines because comfort is a huge issue, but as far as quality, the Jacuzzi is nice, but Sundance is far superior.  

Good luck in finding the right one for you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 12:58:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42