What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Last electrical verification (hopefully)  (Read 2351 times)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
Last electrical verification (hopefully)
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:34:11 pm »
Okay Tubman and all,

Finished mounting the spa box a little while ago.  Per the wiring instructions, I ran the "line" wires (coming out of the slot in the back of the box) to the two line terminals.  For the "load" wires to the spa (dropping into the conduit) I connected the red and black to the GFCI per the wiring diagram on the box cover panel, and the ground to the terminal on the right.  The line ground was connected to a point inside the wall box by my contractor.  The GFCI pigtail connects to the neutral bus on the left-hand side.  

The question:  Do I wire the two neutrals directly together and bypass the buses all together?  Per the spasupport.com electrical guidance, it tells me not to wire the neutral from the spa to ANY terminal in the box unless the terminal is isolated from the ground.  However, this bus is completely isolated from the ground bus on the other side of the box.  Also, there is a "load neutral" terminal on the right-hand side of the GFCI.  My inclination is to connect the spa neutral to the slot in the GFCI, and the line neutral coming from the house to the neutral bus (next to the "pigtail" coming from the back of the GFCI).  I bought some large-diameter shrink tubing, so I could solder the neutrals directly together, and then slide the shrink tubing around the joint for a clean installation.  Let me know what all you pros have to say.  

Thanks!

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Last electrical verification (hopefully)
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:34:11 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Last electrical verification (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:12:39 pm »
Put the white from the house (comes in the rear of the box) onto the bus in the box next to the pigtail from the breaker.

Put the white from the spa onto the Neutral connection on the GFCI breaker.

Fill the spa before you turn on any power. Once the spa is full, turn the breaker in this box off, and the breaker back at the main panel on. Then turn this breaker on  - and then press the "Test" button. It should immediately snap to the 'tripped' position. To reset, turn it off and then on.

You're good to go.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 01:57:09 pm »
As I figured Chas.  Thanks for all the help.  I'll finish it up and wait for Tuesday.  As for hiring electricians, just refer back to several other posts over the recent past, and see if they always have any idea of what THEY'RE doing.....

I've done plenty of wiring and countless other home jobs over my 44 years, and my engineering background just forces me to be overly thorough in every task I tackle.

klrcraig

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 02:27:44 pm »
Even my electrician had trouble with the neutral wire from the spa yesterday,so many types of GFI,s.I found out how to wire it here, and had him look at one of the post's. Lot's of good info on this site...

Gair

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:46:24 pm »
I wired mine with the help of this site and also the diagram that BullFrog has in the manual.  I passed the city inspection.  http://spasupport.com/electrical/main/installguide.html

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:45 am »
Well Leaky, you should considder using a proper cable entrance at the rear of your box.  Your installation will fail any type of inspection unless the inspector has absolutely no clue.
As per the neutral connection, it is listed on the instructions that came with the spa pack.
White incoming feed to neutral bus bar
White pig tail from GFI to the same bus bar
White wire to the tub connected to the neutral terminal on the GFI breaker.
Good luck
Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42