What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Quick Stupid Electrical Question  (Read 2542 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Quick Stupid Electrical Question
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:18:02 pm »
For running 220/240 line, do you tap directly into the incoming electric since it is going to an external GFCI breaker box, or do you have to have "room" in the box for the appropriate breaker size.  We already have a small subpanel to the basement (I think full) because we didn't have enough room in the main box.  I hope we are not looking at having to install a new electric panel.

Hot Tub Forum

Quick Stupid Electrical Question
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:18:02 pm »

tootall

Re: Quick Stupid Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:30:12 pm »
trying to pour 20 pounds of sugar in to a 10 pound sack eh? I had the same proplem I had to put a sub pannle pluse the spa disconect. The reason for that is you have ground your spa thru the main load center. but check with your local electrician.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:54:13 pm »
You won't be tapping directly into the electric feed, unless you have a really unique setup.

First off, make sure you have the electrical capacity to add a spa- if your existing panel is full, it is possible that you may be at capacity.  You'd need an electrician to estimate that for you.  That could equal a service upgrade ($$$).  If you do have existing capacity, but your panel is too full to add the double pole breaker, there are a couple options.  One is to replace a couple existing breakers with the thin breakers, where you can put two of those in the space of one standard size breaker.  This is possible for many panels, but you need to be sure you get the breakers that are approved for that panel.  If that's not an option, you'll need to have a sub panel installed.  You'll still need to put a two pole breaker in your main panel to tap the power to the sub, so likely you'll still need to move existing circuits to the sub panel.  Unless you are experienced at DIY electrical work of this nature, get an electrician or two in to advise you and offer bids for the job.
Brewman
Brewman

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:40:06 pm »
Thanks.  We have a least one full slot open, just not the dipole needed.  I believe I can swap in some thin ones.  I think we already have a couple.  I'm not terribly concerned with exceeding box capacity because the 40 amp dipole going to the stove is not used since we have a gas stove.  

Since we don't have an electric stove, could we "unwire the stove" and steal that spot for the tub?  Or is that asking or trouble down the road at resale of the house if that ever happens.

I guess the other option would be to see if we can double some breakers up in the basement subpanel.  The guys that wired it were exceeding generous with breakers based on what I actually have down there.  If I ran the cable from there I could probably run it out the house and along the underside of the deck and not have to tunnel anything.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:49:07 pm by rexspent »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 04:19:25 pm »
If you have an unused range circuit in your panel, it is my understanding that you can remove that breaker, cap the stove wires, and store them inside the panel, and put in your spa tap (or GFCI) breaker in those slots.
That might be the easiest solution.  But do check first to make sure that capping the stove wires is okay.  
Brewman
Brewman

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:02:19 pm »
We just did exactly what Brewman suggest.  We remodeled our kitchen and stop using the two slots for he electric stove.  The electrician used those slots and capped the stove wires.  Everything works like a charm.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 06:44:20 pm »
Well there's room in the basement subpanel and it's $450 all inclusive to have someone run it.  We're not trenching.  That $450 includes the spapanel, breaker and rearranging the subpanel for the 60 amp breaker to fit conduit etc.  Not a bad deal.  Side job.  Now if we can just get some concrete poured, I'd be in business.  Concrete guys don't want small spa pad jobs.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 06:59:56 pm »
It's a great deal.  I paid $825 for the exact same job you are getting done.  My run was 120 feet though.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 06:59:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42