What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Seek info on Caldera 2005 Niagara  (Read 3028 times)

Mountain_Man

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Seek info on Caldera 2005 Niagara
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:41:26 pm »
I am a long time reader & a first time writer. Today I bought a Caldera Niagara with delivery & setup, a Covermate III hydraulic cover lifter, a 5' wood two steper, booster seat for the wife, two redwood planters & matching redwood storage chest for $7,800. First question to those in the know is;  did I pay a fair price? I wet tested it due to the heavy pressure I picked up on this forum and I am soooooo glad you oldtimers gave this newbie the right advise. Also, living at 9,872 foot elevation the temp get mighty cold, near 35 below is not uncommon. Any feedback from you northerners on how well a Caldera performs in the cold would be appreciated. Cost projections would also help me plan for winter electric bills. In addition I need all the guidance you seasoned hot tup owners can offer on this model. I did look at comperable Hot Springs & Sundance hot tubs. However, they were both several thousand over my budget with dealers nearly twice the distance from my home in the mountains.
Finally, is there any special chem advise for very cold weather.

Thanks in advance,

Mountain Man

Hot Tub Forum

Seek info on Caldera 2005 Niagara
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:41:26 pm »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Seek info on Caldera 2005 Niagara
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 09:07:19 am »
From my recent shopping adventures, the price appears to be very competitive.  I can't comment on the other questions.

Texas_Tubs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:28:11 am »
Excellent Spa at an Excellent Price!!  Caldera Spas perform very well in cold weather climates.  Actually down here in Texas we have a hard time keeping our tubs cool enough because of the heat.  They are so well insulated that the heat has no where to go but inside the tub.  But thanks to the summer mode it helps keep the spa a little cooler down here.  

You are going to really enjoy your new spa.  No specific chemical advise for cold weather.  I always tell people to just add a tablespoon of chlorine when you get out of the spa that way you won't forget later.  Also test weekly your PH & Alk levels, clean filter once a month, and drain every 90-120 days.  Other than that the spas really take care of themselves!!

Also Caldera has protection against colder climates.  If the outside temp gets below 40 degrees the pumps will automatically come on insuring not to freeze up in the cold!  Hope I answered most of your questions!

Happy Tubbing :D

Mountain_Man

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:45:20 am »
Thank you, Thank you, Thanks you for the feedback. Seems up here in the Colorado Mountains few people are experienced with hot tubs. So your guidance is greatly appreciated.
What are your thoughts on not changing the water every 2 or 3 months? I have a well with very low gpm recovery. To fill the 500 gallon tub would stress my water supply. Are there alternate methods of keeping the water ok rather than changing the water?
Again, Many thanks,

Mountain Man

Texas_Tubs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 05:44:08 pm »
Your welcome for the info!  Yea, really the longest you want to go without draining your tub is 120 days.  The reason you have to drain your tub this often is because your chlorine and other chemicals will stop being effective.  When your spa starts turning cloudy and milky then you know it's time to drain it.  

It also depends on how often you use your spa.  If you use it 7 days a week you will have to drain it more often.  If you use it more like 2 or 3 days a week then you can wait a little longer.  Ultimately it is up to you as to how often you want to drain it.  But you will either be spending a lot of money on chemicals or a little on the water.  

I hope this helps! :D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:57:22 pm »
Thank you, Thank you, Thanks you for the feedback. Seems up here in the Colorado Mountains few people are experienced with hot tubs. So your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the tub. I know parts of Colorado have suspect dealers  ;) but let's hope you found a top notch one.

What are your thoughts on not changing the water every 2 or 3 months? I have a well with very low gpm recovery. To fill the 500 gallon tub would stress my water supply. Are there alternate methods of keeping the water ok rather than changing the water?
Again, Many thanks,

Mountain Man

If you care for your water and it doesn't see excessive use going 6 months between water changes is quite common.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Soakin

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 06:36:08 pm »
...What are your thoughts on not changing the water every 2 or 3 months?... Are there alternate methods of keeping the water ok rather than changing the water?...
Taylor has a formula for days between changes in their water management guide of: one third of the tub volume divided by the number of uses per day.  By that guideline, a 450 gallon tub used by 2 people 3-4 times a week could go 150 days between changes.  If you are careful about keeping contaminants out (well-rinsed or no suits, no lotions/make-up/hair conditioners, etc), avoid using chems that can add to total dissolved solids like MPS, and stay on top of water balance, sanitation and shocking -- you should be able to make that or more.  Ozone will help if you have it.  As others have stated here, you will know when it is time to change water.

Depending on your water quality out of the well, you may want to use a hose-end filter while filling the tub to keep as much junk out as possible.  I've seen posts about activated charcoal pre-filters that sound like a great idea, but never seen one for sale.

Enjoy!

Mountain_Man

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:25:52 pm »
Taking the time to answer my questions is greatly appreciated. I have printed your comments and will refer to them as I use the hot tub. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Louie

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:13:02 pm »
I have read some past posts where people get water trucked in, is that available in your area?

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:13:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42