What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I ordered a Marquis Epic today  (Read 2654 times)

Hankster

• A soaker seeker
I ordered a Marquis Epic today
« on: September 07, 2005, 02:35:41 pm »
I ordered a Marquis Epic today.  I have been shopping around and doing research for about 8 months, and finally bit the bullet today.

You may recall I started a thread a few weeks ago about (what I considered) a sky high quote of $11,500 for the Epic. Thanks to many of you here, I was able to go back with a reasonable counter offer.  While I don't know the exact dealer price, I can read between the lines enough to see it's probably about $8,000.  As someone pointed out, for whatever reason spas seem to run a little bit higher here in the southeast (I am in Columbia SC). I think that is partly due to the transportation distance from most manufacturers but mostly due to low volume sales.  Spas are just seeming to catch on in this part of the country, and I know the local Marquis dealer is a very low volume dealer.  I doubt he sells more than 12 spas a year (he is mostly a swimming pool builder).

With all that in mind, I said that unless they could offer me a price in which the first digit was an 8 or 9, I was not interested in playing.  I figure this would cover the cost of the spa, transportation on a single order from Oregon to S.C., and about $1000 profit.  So I was not surprised when I was given a price of $9850.  Do I think this is a good deal?  No, but it is acceptable, (and certainly much better than the original $11,500) and hopefully will put me in good graces with the dealer when I need service.

Although I was unable to wet test the Epic, I was able to test a Euphoria, which at least let me experience the high volume water flow Marquis is known for.  Both my partner and I commented afterward that we felt like jello.  We wet tested a Caldera Geneva last week, and a Hotsprings Vangard several months ago.  Nothing against these manufacturers or models, but for us personally, we just didn't feel much massage effect.  I would like to have tested a Sundance, but the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away.

I know some here would not think of buying a spa they could not wet test.  Unfortunately for small dealers this is not always possible. I am grateful for being able to test another model that let me experience the same type of jets and water flow I will find in the Epic.

Lastly I want to say this board was an invaluable resource.  Without you I would have never even heard of some of the brands I looked at.  I will let everyone know when my spa comes in.  Should be about 3 weeks!

Hot Tub Forum

I ordered a Marquis Epic today
« on: September 07, 2005, 02:35:41 pm »

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
Re: I ordered a Marquis Epic today
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 02:49:28 pm »
Congratulations, Hankster!  I just know you are gonna love it!

Wolf_Racer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:02:25 pm »
Congrats.

I just got my Epic last week and we love it. I am sure you won’t be disappointed. You have to learn the tri-zone some to control it, but after you do, there are many options and it works great for us.

cappykat

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:14:40 pm »
Congrats, hankster!  I'm reading all these posts of new Epic owners and I'm so envious!!  We are having such problems getting contractors to come out and give us estimates for work we need done before we can even start our patio/porch.  They tell us a time they'll show up and they don't.

We're waiting on a landscaper to move our existing irrigation system.  Can't even begin to put down the slab until that is done.  I'm getting discouraged with all the waiting.  

Hankster and all the rest of you Marquis owners....ENJOY!!
2005 Marquis Epic

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 03:17:45 pm »
Congrats on your hot tub purchase..may your wait be few and your soaks be many!

BP

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 03:25:12 pm »
Hankster,

Congratulations and also I think it is very credible of you to recognize that prices do vary across the country. We are in So Cal and for us it is pretty much a year round season but in some other places the time to really do all the work needed for a spa may only be six to eight months a year. Yet the dealer needs to be open  year round to provide service. Again Enjoy. it is a great soak always in an Epic..... :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:29:23 pm by Mendocino101 »

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 05:35:52 pm »
Congrats, Hankster.  I'm glad it worked out for you. My dealer ordered my Epic on Tuesday.  I was gonna call him and ask if it's in yet (kinda like kids on a car trip....are we there yet??)  ;D ;D ;D  

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 08:53:49 pm »
Congratulations, you will love the Epic.  We have had power to ours for 5 days now, and each soak seems to get better than the last.  Luckily we only had to wait 9 days for ours, hope your wait goes by quickly. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 08:53:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42