What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: CalSpa options?  (Read 4836 times)

nomios_slc

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
CalSpa options?
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:20:40 pm »
I checked out the local calspa dealer today. I am looking for a spa in the 6,000-6,500 range and was shown the CBA-22. I was quoted a price of 6,490.

I was then informed of a factory sale that was going on until Sept 15 th. The CBA-22 would be upgraded to 2 - 4 hp pumps, XL heater exchange, 4 neck jets, foot dome, and waterfall. The price for this spa would be the same price. Based on the info I was shown, the items included in the factory sale, excluding the second pump added up to about $750.  

This price doesn't include a maintenance free cabinet or full foam insulation. That would be an extra $650.

I have never seen a spa manufacture have so many features as optional. Is this typical with all Calspa dealers?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 08:21:38 pm by nomios_slc »

Hot Tub Forum

CalSpa options?
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:20:40 pm »

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
Re: CalSpa options?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:28:23 pm »
One of the few things most of the posters on this board agrees is that you should stay FAR away from any Cal Spa.  Do your research before you waste your money!  Good luck!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:58:54 am »
You may want to take a look at the Tiger River tubs by Hot  Springs .

I was able to get a 6 seat Tiger river tub, foot dome. waterfall, light, ozinator, cover, lifter, and steps for $7K. Otheres have reported getting it for less than that.

The tubs  have  full foam insulation and the maintaince free cabinets standard.

Geez. I'm begining to sound like a HS dealer....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:01:07 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 09:32:57 am »
Geez. I'm begining to sound like a HS dealer....

That you are drewstar, that you are! ;D ;D ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 09:39:21 am »

That you are drewstar, that you are! ;D ;D ;D

Terminator

Great. Just send the sales commission check to my home.  ;D

I would think that with a bit of shopping Nomios_slc should be able to find a brand name tub with full foam and perma wood cabinet  for under $7K.
07 Caldera Geneva

Duffman

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 03:16:11 am »
One of the few things most of the posters on this board agrees is that you should stay FAR away from any Cal Spa.  Do your research before you waste your money!  Good luck!

During my research I have made every effort not to slam any manufacturer. However I will say that of the 11 different spa brands I wet tested, my overall ratings for the Cal Spa models were definitely toward the bottom of my list.

I liked many of the spa designs and jet packages, and I found the seating to be very comfortabl. For me, the deal breaker was that in my opinion, Cal Spa doesn't provide nearly enough power to support their jet packages. I tested the 3 pump setups and a smaller tub with the Dually motor. Across the board I found the massage experience very dissapointing unless you rely on the diverter valves to maximize pressure to 1 or 2 seats.

Please make sure to wet test the spas before you put your money down. If your experience is favorable and the price is right, go for it!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 11:24:31 am by Duffman »

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:50:23 am »
Duffman! I would agree with you on the dually pump tub being underpowered! However there is no way that you found the three pump set up underpowered, that is simply impossible, the power is unsurpassed in the 3 pump setup! I sell them everyday and that is a hot seller for us because of its incredible ability to perform with all jets open! As far as the quality of Cal Spas goes? It is an excellent product and we are very successful with the product providing the best service before and after the sale! Our reputation in the great states  of Colorado and Minnesota has been proven 1000's of times! Good luck on your shopping!!!! ;)

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:06:07 am »
P.S SpaMan is on a leave of absence for the next 5 weeks and sends his best regards to his friends here! He can't wait to return and get back to serving this board.

Duffman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 11:29:28 am »
Duffman! I would agree with you on the dually pump tub being underpowered! However there is no way that you found the three pump set up underpowered, that is simply impossible, the power is unsurpassed in the 3 pump setup!

Can you tell me which 3 pump model you sell that has good balanced power? To be fair, when I wet tested the 3 pump model, I asked the dealer why the power didn't seem "up to par." He checked all the settings and confirmed everything was on full. Unless something was wrong with the spa, it just didn't compare with the power levels of most other brands I tested.

The dealer in my area is only a couple miles away and I certainly wouldn't mind taking another look if you think something is fishy. Cal Spa did have a lot of features I liked.

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:33:48 am »
The CSA-63 , CSP-63 and many others! What city do you live in?

Soakin

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 12:41:07 pm »
SpaMan is on a leave of absence...
First Spaman, now the Coloradocrusader...  Who's next: Captain Spamerica? ;D

Duffman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 03:32:53 pm »
there is no way that you found the three pump set up underpowered

Coloradocrusader,
I found your comments very compelling and went back to the dealer while running errands today. I want to thank you for your inquiry as it turns out there was a definite miscommunication.

Either I was incorrectly informed or there was a misunderstanding, but the Cal Spa model that I thought had three pumps really only had two. This certainly explained why it seemed so underpowered. Another problem was when I was writing up my report and could not find the models I tested on the CalSpa website. The Cal Spa dealer's stock was all customized versions of spas on the website for which the IDs were not fully displayed. When I first generated my report I had to try and find the picture that looked closest to what I actually wet tested. This was not easy since there were lots of features that the base model on the website do not include (foot jets, neck jets, etc.)

Since the top end model  (customized CA51 with 65 jets) sold by the dealer definitely had 3 pumps and was up to temperature, I wet tested it thoroughly and can confirm that the balanced power was good. I got the proper IDs for the three spas and made the appropriate corrections.

Thanks again crusader. Please accept my apology for the error in confusing the 2 pump model for a 3 pump setup.  :)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 03:37:58 pm by Duffman »

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 11:58:24 pm »
Duffman<Good job on your reviews I foud it ineteresting and informative! I believe your statements on my Cal Spas to be fair and balanced i want to thank you for your time and efforts! I know I for one learn something everyday and today I have learned a thing or two from you! Thank you again for the many hours you spent to very proffessionally organise a private consumer study. I also realize that you plan on wettesting other spas in the future! just a word of caution from me to you. Please do not get into any hottub that you cannot verify an ETL or UL listing for by calling either ETL or UL. There are tubs in the industry that have neither ETL or ul listing even though they are bearing a label indicating a listing please verify before entering the tub. a simple phone call will verufy my claim to some spas not being listed with ETL OR UL. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY MAKE THESE VERIFICATIONS PRIOR TO ENTERING A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SPA! Thanks again and good job! ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 11:02:37 am »
First Spaman, now the Coloradocrusader...  Who's next: Captain Spamerica? ;D

Damn, I better grab that name before someone else does!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Soakin

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 11:22:47 am »
I knew I should have copyrighted it before posting! Spatech, it's yours -- make us all proud! :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 11:22:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42