What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Envoy or Grandee  (Read 13444 times)

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Envoy or Grandee
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:54:15 am »
I went to a dealer last night and checked out both of these tubs...I also looked at the Vanguard, but WAY too small for long legged people!!
so....we're down to those 2. Tonight we'll go for a wet test, which I think will help make the decision, since we're still debating whether to take a lounger or not...

do you think the Grandee is too big for basically 2 people who will be using it the most? it seems quite huge...

we also checked out Arctic Tubs...seems very well made but VERY expensive...a mid-range one is about $13k (Can)...
 :o

Hot Tub Forum

Envoy or Grandee
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:54:15 am »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Envoy or Grandee
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 08:45:33 am »
If you like the Arctic, try aggressively negotiating.  I was floated some pretty high numbers initially, but they vaporized pretty quickly.  Can't blame someone for trying to make $.  I've found them to be very competitive in price.  Remember, they have different levels of therapy within a line.  If you were quoted on a Legend SE, another model level such as an Ultra or Legend may be more in your range, and more comparable to the other tubs to which you are comparing the Arctic.  

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:30 am »
Actually, one thing I found about the Arctic dealer, is that they wait to the very last minute to discuss price,  it almost seems like they know they are way over the other companies... they emphasize more on the way it's built and so on.

They also asked for a 500$ fully refundable deposit to fill a tub for a wet test.  What's up with that??? are they afraid I'll do something to the tub while wet testing???   ???

oen thing about those tubs though...they are made in Canada, therefore built for our cold winters!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 09:18:33 am »
Can't speak to your dealer, but mine was willing to fill any tub in which I had an interest without any deposit.  Their method of operation appears to be to tout the features/quality of the spa and hope you bite.  If you've shopped around and have competitive bids and information, you are more likely to get a better price.  

I disagree with the $500 deposit to fill the tub however.  But that is a dealer tactic, not an Arctic tactic.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:24:49 am »
There may be some resistance to this, but the idea that Arctic spas are more energy efficient or more suited to cold climates is really not necessarily true.  My wife and I have a home 7 miles south of the Canadian border in Colebrook, NH.  We have friends and family with experience with Arctic and HotSpring up there.  The HS seems more energy efficient and has proven to be more reliable than the Arctic.  Since the two tubs are in different households, and variables such as water temp and usage may vary, you should understand that this information is anecdotal, not scientific.  Nevertheless, both tubs have been in service for approximately the same amount of time (2 years, plus or minus).  The HS has been flawless, the Arctic has required repairs.  Both tubs are in sunrooms, but are not heated except by the tubs.  Coldest temps are in the minus 30 degree F range.  

Regards,

Bill

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
Can you provide more feedback on the Arctic repairs.  Major, minor, time out of service etc.  I would be interested in knowing if you know.  Thanks.

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:33:19 am »
I did feel a bit of pressure by the arctic dealer....they said they had this "amazing" sale that just ended last weekend, that they could maybe offer if we were to buy within the next 2 days!!
and the fact that they kept evading the price question made me a bit suspicious!
they sell tubs up to $18000!! could not believe it!

I did not feel any pressure whatsoever by the HS  and Caldera dealer.. and...the prices were even marked on the tubs, and they even offered approx a 1000$ off those prices...

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 09:43:28 am »
Actually, one thing I found about the Arctic dealer, is that they wait to the very last minute to discuss price,  it almost seems like they know they are way over the other companies... they emphasize more on the way it's built and so on.

They also asked for a 500$ fully refundable deposit to fill a tub for a wet test.  What's up with that??? are they afraid I'll do something to the tub while wet testing???   ???

oen thing about those tubs though...they are made in Canada, therefore built for our cold winters!

I live on Canadaand have a Beachcomber dealer and an Arctic dealer 5 minutes away from each other.  The Beachcomber dealer has prices listed on each tub and a wet test was setup on the day I wanted no charge, the Arctic dealer had no prices posted and alot of fluff talk, I never wet tested the Arctic...I bought the Beachcomber.  Awhile back there was a post for what you want to see at a dealership and almost everyone said posted prices...why don't some dealers listen??

Ray

Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
I did feel a bit of pressure by the arctic dealer....they said they had this "amazing" sale that just ended last weekend, that they could maybe offer if we were to buy within the next 2 days!!
and the fact that they kept evading the price question made me a bit suspicious!
they sell tubs up to $18000!! could not believe it!

I did not feel any pressure whatsoever by the HS  and Caldera dealer.. and...the prices were even marked on the tubs, and they even offered approx a 1000$ off those prices...

One thing I've read here is that you need to feel comfortable with the dealer.  You may be back in there buying chemicals or need them for service.  If you're not getting warm fuzzies then that may eliminate that brand (any brand, not just Arctic) from consideration.

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 09:50:48 am »
the lady at the store was very nice, but I felt a bit like when I go buy a car!!!  :P  
"let's sit down and discuss the price shall we?!!!"" type-of- thing...

For all you dealers out there....can someone explain to me why you want a deposit to fill a tub for a wet test?

it's a "refundable" deposit...therefore...not in your pocket!!!  so why ?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:18:38 am »
Howdy stargazer!  You've answered your own question...let the wet test be your determining factor.  That will make everything come into focus.  The Grandee and the Envoy are very different in the way they feel, but they are both dependable, efficient, and built to be the last spa you ever own, so make sure the one you choose is the one that fits you best. :)

Regarding your question of size, the Grandee feels a lot bigger than the Envoy because of the layout.  It might not feel as intimate as the smaller Envoy, but you should have ample room in either.

The reason, in my opinion, you were asked to put down a deposit is this:  once you have made a financial commitment towards a product, you are starting to take ownership.  Salespeople know that once someone puts down a deposit, they are most likely going to follow through with the purchase.  This is taught in every retail sales course out there.  You will hear a story like "This deposit will guarantee this price", but know it for what it is....the first step for the salesman to close the deal.

Have fun tonight, wet testing is the only way to shop! ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:56:45 am »
Terminator,
your explanation about the deposit makes sense....it's all about "trapping" the customer into a sale in way...psychological tactic!!

next time it happens, I will ask "Why they want it?"    ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 10:58:26 am »
BINGO!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 12:14:29 pm »
do you think the Grandee is too big for basically 2 people who will be using it the most? it seems quite huge...

we also checked out Arctic Tubs...seems very well made but VERY expensive...a mid-range one is about $13k (Can)...
  :o

We have a big tub and its usually 3 of us, sometimes 2. Its comfortable on the rare times we have had 5 or 6.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stargazer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 01:43:43 pm »
Terminator,
as a dealer, what would you answer if a customer asked why you want a deposit???

you salespeople always have "the" answer!!  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 01:43:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42