What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Re: Installing a spa on a slope  (Read 2639 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Installing a spa on a slope
« on: August 31, 2005, 02:17:57 pm »
That could be really nice.   It's hard to tell exactly how much space you have on the hill, but you could make it into a real show piece.  

When cutting out the box area for the spa, remember to leave some clearence for the cover and lifter.  

Perhaps some of the dealers can tell us what the minimum clearance is needed for most lifters?

Also you'll l need room for some steps. I'd recomend a little extra room so people can get thier balance and not feel they are teetering on the edge when they get in and out.

Good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:20:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« on: August 31, 2005, 02:17:57 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 03:41:09 pm »
If that was my yard, I would run a 1" conduit to a spot about ten feet down the wall (for a future sub panel) and then a 3/4" conduit from there to the back wall of the 'box.' Run the 1" so the sub panel can sit back from the wall a couple of feet so it will be easy to reach, but still easy to hide with a plant or two.

Also, figure on what type of cool lighting you want for the hill and yard, and make plans to run an extra circuit out of the sub panel now. If you don't put huge spotlight bulbs or lots of power-hungry lights, you could simply put it on a photo cell. If you want dazzling lights, plan on a set of switches/dimmers, or a timeclock. Easiest? Just add a remote switch later. If you put in low-voltage lights, most come with a built-in timer. They are a pain - unless you go with pro-quality stuff. Some LV systems have a photo cell and a simple switch: they will come on at dusk and automatically shut off 4, 6, or 8 hours later. Those are the ones to get: no messing with the stupid timeclocks all year long as sunset times change or power failures happen.

Thinking of Fountains or other things? Make room for the power to run those as well. If you never put them in, you still won't be sorry you put in a few bucks' worth of PVC conduit.

And as to size: the largest HotSpring is the Grandee/Vista - 8'4" by 7'7" - add a couple inches on each side for a Cover Upright lift. That lift will put the lid up on end like the lid of a pizza box. It will mount on either end of the spa.

Or - just allow about a nine or ten foot square to fit most any spa.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:55:48 am »
First, Chas I love your avatar and I had to steal him to use on my fanatasy football site.   :)

Thanks for the input.  I hadn't thought about allowing the extra space for the cover lifter or steps.  I had already considered the extra wiring for a water feature later on, but had never though of lighting.  So thank you for mentioning that.

I'm thinking of making the space pretty close to just a 10 x 10 or so.  Maybe line up the hot tub with where the wall turns somewhat and allow the space to the right to just be a pathway and house the stairs and whatnot.  I will know more next week when the guy from the grading company  (who btw, is only going to charge me parts and no labor probably... I may actually be able to afford this) comes out to actually see the space, so far he has only seen pics.

Oh and as for size of spa, I will probably end up with a small one, (5-6 person) but I wouldn't mind having room for upgrade later.  I love the Caldera Martinique, but have not wet tested it as I don't want to love it and then get suckered into buying it before I'm financially ready.   Now a store in Temecula that sells Sundance and Jacuzzi is supposedly having a huge sale this weekend with spas as low as $1495.   I may try to check it out on the off chance I can actually find something decent at low price.  I would love to get my total to about $4 instead of $5200 + tax.  Though I doubt that its possible regardless what the add says.

When I spoke to the hot tub guy from the store to ask what kind of foundation I needed (i.e. cement or one of those preformed that the dealers sell) he reccomended .59 blocks from Home Depot or Lowes.  Does this sound like the best and most cost effective method for me?

Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:03:38 am by Brookenstein »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:55:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42