What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ready to re-wire  (Read 9570 times)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
Ready to re-wire
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:35:01 pm »
Per your suggestions, I stopped by the local Lowe's and picked up the last remaining 60 amp GFCI spa box for about $80.  I will yank my "pull box" and replace it with this new one.

As my spa will sit in the middle of the side patio (and have heard nothing back about "bonding" to the BBQ island), I am assuming my wiring is sufficient.  I will now re-connect the wiring to the spa box, with the neutral to the load neutral on the GFI.  The red and black lines to the spa will connect to the load terminals on the GFI, and the lines from the main panel will connect to the "line" terminals within the box.  I will also insert the 60 amp circuit breaker in my main panell, and attach both the ground and the neurtal to one bus, as my house is not wired separately for ground and common.  

I hope I will then be ready to accept my new baby in a couple of weeks!

Sorry to banter on about this, but I want to make sure I've got all my rubber ducks in a row and have no issues when it rolls into the back yard.  

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Ready to re-wire
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:35:01 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Ready to re-wire
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 11:46:47 pm »
You'll be fine.
Brewman
Brewman

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 01:02:13 am »
When I wired mine a few days ago I used the load neutral from the GFCI, which kept tripping the GFCI.

I called up a Vita Spa dealer who said the neutral (same as ground; common bar in my box too) should come directly from the panel, so I moved it from the GFI to the neutral bar in the panel.

Yours may not trip since you are connecting the bonding wire to something other than the panel.

BTW, the SquareD 60amp breaker does not even include a load neutral post.

-John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:03:04 am by Hubjeep »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 07:58:47 am »
You need to run the neutral pigtail on your breaker to the neutral buss in your panel.  In a main service panel, the neutral and ground busses are usually bonded so it doesn't matter which buss, in a sub panel they are often not bonded so if that applies do not connect the neutral pigtail to the ground buss. Know which situation applies to you before you connect those wires.

Bonding is a seperate thing.  If you are required to use a bond wire, usually you'd connect from the bonding lug in your spa to whatever grounded metal you're required to bond to.  Not to be confused with grounding.
Brewman
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:00:08 am by Brewman »
Brewman

drprwnap

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 08:59:47 am »
I'm back with more questions.  Let see if I have this correct.
If I use a spa box with a GFCI breaker I attach the pigtail from the GFCI to the ground in that box. Then I run the common (ground) from the terminal block in the spa back to the MAIN panel in the house.  Correct???
Sorry but I'm very electrically  challenged!! ;D ;D
I'm just running wire and will have someone else hook up. I just want to run it right

Thanks!!!

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 09:27:22 am »
Inside your spa panel, is there a ground buss bar and a neutral buss bar?  If so, are they physically bonded or unbonded?
Bonded means that they are connected by some conductive metal.
I'm not familiar too much with spa panels, but I believe that these may be considered sub panels, which have specific rules regarding the neutral and ground bars being bonded.  

If your spa panel needs to have neutral and ground bonded together, it doesn't matter where you attach the neutral conductor, the ground wire, or that white pigtail on your breaker.  If you are required to keep your neutral and ground buss seperate, then it matters where you attach those wire, and they'd need to be kept seperate.

If you are uncomfortable with this, check with your local electrical authority, or leave the wiring to a pro.  Pool and spa wiring isn't a good beginners project to cut your teeth on.
It can get complicated.
Brewman
Brewman

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 09:53:58 am »
Thanks for the reply, brewman.  The more I think about it, I'm just going to get a GFCI breaker for the main panel in the house and forget about the disconnect box.  If my spa needs service, I have an outside garage door operner that I can reprogram a code for the tech (if need be).  My panel is in the garage.

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:57:18 am »
Here is how mine is set up.  It may vairy tub to tub, but in my case all the neutrals are on one bar in the SquareD 50A spa pack (as opposed to the load neutral coming out of the GFCI "load neutral" side).  

Source power from panel is on the right, tub is on the left.

:coool:

drprwnap

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:12:24 am »
Great pix, Hubjeep, and THANKS.  That is the way I was going to run my Epic hook up but the guy at Lowe's said that the GFCI will trip.  Any problems with that for you???

drprwnap  8)

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 10:25:23 am »
...That is the way I was going to run my Epic hook up but the guy at Lowe's said that the GFCI will trip.  Any problems with that for you???

It did trip when I had the load neutral on the load neutral output of the GFCI,  after I moved it to the bar on the right (connecting it directly to the panel; as the spa dealer told me) it was fine.

The spa dealer said mine (Vita Spa Elan) is does not require a neutral (only two hots and a ground), hooking the neutral output of the GFCI to the tub "ground" confused the GFCI, the ground really has to come directly from the panel.  Keep in mind, my panel has a common neutral/ground bar (both are connected to the same bar).

-John  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 10:49:17 am »
Nice Pic.  If the bars are seperate, keep the neutral and ground seperate.  
If your spa is like mine (No neutral), don't use that neutral terminal on the breaker.  Just put the pigtail on the neutral buss, and run your hots and ground out of the panel to your spa.  I used a pull box for my shutoff, and put my GFI in my main panel, didn't need to run a neutral to the pull box.

One thing I still don't understand is why the only 60 amp GFI availble in my area (Square D QO series) doens't have a neutral terminal.  Must be that whatever they were originally designed for didn't require the 120v power feed that the neutral in a 240v circuit supplies.
This thread has gotten me curious enough to find out, though.

Brewman

leaky

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 12:28:51 pm »
I'm not sure if mine is different or not.  My Midwest box looks different.  It even has the capability to add another GFCI to it, with additional attachment terminals.  Also, the pigtail came connected to a bus, and there is a large diameter aluminum rod that is mounted to the back face and truncates in the middle of the box, attached to nothing.

I'll take a jpeg of it and try and figure out how to post it.  Then maybe Brewman, STL, Hubjeep, or another guru can steer me the right way.  I think I have it "wired", but additional help can't hurt!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 12:49:38 pm »
Show us the PIC, and we'll see what's up.
Brewman

leaky

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 01:18:57 pm »
See if this works....

leaky

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 01:20:04 pm »
So how do I make it big like Hubjeeps?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 01:20:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42