What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: It's all in the WET TEST  (Read 5477 times)

Debra

It's all in the WET TEST
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:19:15 am »
Wet tested the Hot Springs Grandee and the Caldera Niagara yesterday.  While we love the open seating and everything about the Grandee, we were disappointed that we did not enjoy the hydromassage jets.  We did like the foot "bump" in the Caldera because it helped me to stay in my seat.  It made a big difference.  But we do prefer the seating and layout of the Grandee.  Are there any other models that have the foot rest and more open seating?
After reading many of these posts in this forum we have come to the conclussion (as stated by many long time members here) that it all comes down to the "wet test".  We are no longer so concerned with the insulation method, the filter method, even the power of the pumps (most of them blow me out of my seat on high anyways).  It all comes down to comfort of the seats and the jets!

Hot Tub Forum

It's all in the WET TEST
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:19:15 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: It's all in the WET TEST
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:21:35 am »
The Optima (Sundance) has a nice foot dome, with plenty of jets.  
Not sure if you'd consider it open seating, though.  

Brewman
Brewman

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:24:44 am »
If it's open seating you want you might want to test the Sundance Optima or Bahia.  Optima is the higher line with nicer features.  Both offer open seating and a foot dome.  The Dimension1 Nautilus is also open seating with a foot dome and is probably less $ than the Sundance, but we liked the Sundance better.  Subjectively we just liked Sundance better.  We liked the Optima, but not the Bahia.  I couldn't tell you why.  Check their websites out.

Debra

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 08:42:13 am »
Unfortunately there are no Sundance dealers in our area.  One pool store will sell them but do not have any to see in a showroom.  So I'm worried about what kind of service we might get.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:52:19 am »
The Tiger River Caspain has a foot dome that my wife enjoys quite a bit. However, the Caspain is not as large as the Caldera Niagra or HGS Grandee.  
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 09:02:02 am »
I'd recommend a Marquis Reward or Epic.  Neither has the foot dome but the seats are deep enough that you won't float out of them.

I floated out of just about all that we wet tested until I tried the Epic.  It has the open seating and the seats are at different depths, so you might try.
2005 Marquis Epic

Debra

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 09:06:10 am »
I found a Sundance dealer by typing in someone else's postal code.  They are about 1/2 hour away.  We will go and take a look at their spas.  I didn't see one the size of the Grandee though.  We have 5 kids so we are leaning towards a larger spa.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 09:12:20 am »
I'm not sure I know what open seating means.  Does it mean not getting in with the cover on?  ;D

Open seating, to me, means you can lay across the seats to create a "make-shift" lounger.  Or that people can sit in such a way that they are "straddling" a seat.

The HS grandee has "bench" seating which is what I think most people think of as open seating: (sorry the image is bigger, blame the HS web site for not having a smaller version)

Whereas the Sundance has contoured curves and adjacent seats have different depths, making such lounging or seat-straddling more difficult.  When we wet tested the optima we felt it had "bucket" seats, which I would not classify as "open seating".

And straddling seats in the marquis epic looks impossible:

Not saying one is better than another, but I think it is interesting that we all have such different views of what "open" means!

-Ed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:13:31 am by ebirrane »

ebirrane

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 09:15:12 am »
I found a Sundance dealer by typing in someone else's postal code.  They are about 1/2 hour away.  We will go and take a look at their spas.  I didn't see one the size of the Grandee though.  We have 5 kids so we are leaning towards a larger spa.

The optima is just a hair smaller than the grandee.  Maybe 6" in one direction.  However, the optima uses fewer filters and, as such, can fit them in a "non-corner" area so on the optima all 4 corners are free for seating, whereas on a grandee only 3 corners are available for seating.

-Ed

Debra

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 09:19:47 am »
Yes, it's the bench seating that I mean.  We loved everything about the Grandee, except the hydromassage jets.  We thought we would like them more.  They are not too bad when put as low as possible.  Otherwise we found them too hard and annoying going up and down your back.  If they were only in one corner we would definately get this spa.  That's just our observation on the hydromassage jets, most people seem to really like them.  Maybe we'll wet test them again and see if our opinion changes.

freddortort

• waiting..waiting..waiting..waiting
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 11:28:28 am »
We had the same feeling on the MOTO massage.  However if you turn them down to pulse rather than the high power, they felt much better to us.

We are going to wet test the Envoy today.

Also, the dome the Optima did not fit us at all but we really liked the seating in the Cameo.  Seems that with our heights we could feel comfortable in the seats and not float out.

In the end I have come the same conclusion as you. . . . Make sure the seats and then the jets fit you the BEST.  Then if you pick a good dealer with a major brand. . . . .  let the chips fall where they may (filters, 24 circulation pump, 5 microns, 5 filters, 1 filter. .  .1 year, foam no foam, you get the picture!)

airheads

• '05 SD Maxxus!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 11:56:18 am »
Well if you go look at Sundance, you might want to check out the Maxxus too - a little larger than the Optima, and with 5 kids you might need it.  We have 4 kids and that's the tub we chose.

hymbaw

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 12:52:31 pm »
Just as a reference:

HS Grandee - 7'7"x8'4"x38"deep

Sundance
         Optima - 7'5"x7'5"x37.5"deep
         Maxxus - 7'6"x9'2"x41.5"deep
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

ebirrane

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 02:42:17 pm »
Yes, it's the bench seating that I mean.  We loved everything about the Grandee, except the hydromassage jets.  We thought we would like them more.  They are not too bad when put as low as possible.  Otherwise we found them too hard and annoying going up and down your back.  If they were only in one corner we would definately get this spa.  That's just our observation on the hydromassage jets, most people seem to really like them.  Maybe we'll wet test them again and see if our opinion changes.

If you search waaaay back (2 years?) some of my first posts were about how I didn't like the moto massage at first.  It felt very different and we excluded HS because of it and were almost ready to go with the optima.  However, we wet tested each tub 3 times and the moto massage grew on me.

These days it is the only jet I can stay in front of for extended periods of time (1hr +) without constantly having to change seats or wiggle around.

The moto massage really isn't for everyone, nor should it be.  But I do know that subsequent wet tests changed my mind.

If your kids are younger you may also want to double check with the salesman that them sticking their fingers in the jet isn't going to cause them harm.  I've always wondered how powerful the jet is and how sharp the plastic is in there, but have never had a desire to stick something in there to find out.

-Ed

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:02:08 pm »
I am not sure if a lot of people realize there is a different plate available for the moto massage.  It breaks the jets into a seires of smaller jet openings!  It feels Great!!  It simply snaps into place and costs about $50 retail.  Your dealer may throw it in to close the deal.  Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:02:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42