What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical hookup question  (Read 1986 times)

Dave33

Electrical hookup question
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:30:03 am »
I am putting in the electrical hookup for my spa that is to be delivered in about 2 weeks.  The run from the spa panel is about 60' in surface mounted conduit through my garage to the subpanel.  It is 50AMP using #6 wire.

The wiring instructions in the spa manual say to run just the 4 wires (2 hot, neutral, ground).  My question is whether I need to run an additional bare copper bonding wire.  The spa will be located just over 5 feet from an aluminum downspout and also just about 5 feet from an inground swimming pool.

The pool and all equipment is properly bonded back to the main panel in the basement.  My initial inclination is that since I am over 5 feet from any metal object as well as the surface of the pool water then I do not need to bond the spa.  If I do need to bond the spa would it be appropriate to run a bare copper in the condiut back to the garage subpanel or should it be connected to the pool bonding wire going back to the main panel? Also do I need to worry about the downspout.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Dave

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical hookup question
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:30:03 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Electrical hookup question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 10:33:50 am »
If you are going to bond to local metal objects, you would use the bonding lug. If this is a HotSpring, it has a bonding lug on the outside of the control box, and you can see bare copper going to motors and things. Use that.

If this is another brand, look to see if there are bare copper wires bonding various equipment, and tie into that.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dave33

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:42:40 am »

Thanks Chas.  It is an Arctic Spa.  I am aware  that I would bond to the bonding lug.   I assume that all components within the spa are properly bonded together.  I was wondering if I need to bond the spa back to the subpanel.  If so the time to pull that  bare copper wire would be when I am pulling the wire for the spa panel.  Is it necessary?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:13:47 am »
I bonded my spa motor(s) via the bonding lug to the water spigot, which was the grounded metal within reach of the spa.  This was a bare, solid copper wire, and it was run outside of my conduit.  Passed inspection.
Check with your local electrical authority, they should give you the rules for your area.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:13:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42