What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best tubs to avoid rodents  (Read 12953 times)

Debra

Best tubs to avoid rodents
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:18:56 am »
When considering a spa purchase, what type of tub/insulation is best to avoid pests and rodents making a warm place to live in?  We live in the country where we often see mice, skunks, snakes......

Hot Tub Forum

Best tubs to avoid rodents
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:18:56 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Best tubs to avoid rodents
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:20:44 am »
All of the HotSpring and Tiger River spas are sealed up and have a rodent screen on them.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 11:26:33 am »
The Coleman's also don't get rodents in them. I think most of the "major" tub manufacturers have them rodent free any more

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 11:50:58 am »
I would imagine that a full-foam tub would be more rodent resistent because there isn't a warm, dry air space.  Of course, an enterprising rodent could chew out a nest if there was nothing else nearby.

I would imagine that things like ants would enjoy  living in a fully-foamed tub and things like rodents would enjoy living in a thermo-pane tub.

Screenings and "sealed bases" are all good, but we all know that an enterprising critter can get in if it really wants to.  Tub bases aren't air-tight.

-Ed

Debra

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 11:54:52 am »
If the tub does not have a sealed base, but you set it on a concrete slab should this be enough to keep critters out?

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 11:54:52 am »
The high density sealent used on Hot Spring and Tiger River Bottoms are virtually impervious to rodents!  With the screen added under the door, we no longer see any mice problems in those brands.  Good luck!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 11:57:15 am »
Mice and other critters of their ilk can get in thru suprisingly tiny spaces, and even full foam spas have the empty space for the pumps and electronics.  
Not sure how one spa is any better as a brand than another at rodent intrusion.
Do any of them claim any kind of guarantee against mice?  
Sundance, for one, does not, but since I have no problems with it, does that prove the spa is mouse proof, or maybe there aren't any mice nearby.  We get them in the garage occasionally, or we did before I put DCon out for them to snack on.

Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 12:15:03 pm »
Rodents are fans of both full foam and thermopane spas. Their favorte spas are those that have openings for them to squeeze through and it doesn't take much so an opening can be the size of a nickel or  small gap they can expand upon. Look for a spa that is extremely well sealed on the sides and bottoms and anywhere parts meet up. Spas do need to draw air into the equipment compartment so you want to make sure any of these areas are covered with some type of metal mesh screen or rodent guard as mentioned. Rodents are like car thieves in the fact that I'm not sure you can ever guarantee 100% that you've make the spa or car rodent/thief proof but you can make it so difficult that they'll go to the neighbor's place to look for a better option. A well designed spa makes the rodents goal much much more difficult.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 01:39:09 pm »
This was something an inground pool salesman warned me of here in Florida where rodents are as common as tacky tourists.  He definitely wanted to sell me inground but I heeded his advise and went with an ABS base and love my Jacuzzi 335.

tootall

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 12:44:27 am »
You can look in to the Marquis brand they have a dura shell bottom rodent free.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 09:00:53 am »
The best spas (there are many, including my MasterSpas LSX) include a sealed bottom but I recommend cats.....just not lazy ones like mine!  Actually, mine are great mousers as evidenced by the half eaten remains they leave at the front door as trophies.......UGH!  The field down the street is a great hunting ground for'em.  And the only rodents that dare enter the yard are normally brought in as toys by the mousers.  Have you ever had mouse guts squeeze through your toes unexpectedly as you step out the front door first thing in the morning?  :o
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »
The best spas (there are many, including my MasterSpas LSX) include a sealed bottom but I recommend cats.....just not lazy ones like mine!  Actually, mine are great mousers as evidenced by the half eaten remains they leave at the front door as trophies.......UGH!  The field down the street is a great hunting ground for'em.  And the only rodents that dare enter the yard are normally brought in as toys by the mousers.  Have you ever had mouse guts squeeze through your toes unexpectedly as you step out the front door first thing in the morning?  :o

WS ewwwwwwwwwwwww hunny that was more than a need to know basis! I do remember a time when my cat (mighty mouse) was exactly like yours half eaten prizes left at my feet or gee I even had on one occasion a head of a mouse in my bed (talk about giving the cat a lecture!) But now Mighty Mouse is satisfied with sitting contently in the window of the living room and staring out at the big wide world with not much wonder! Of course...his days of being a mouser are long gone since he's at the end of his days and considered a senior citizen (Mouse is 16 years old)......wonder if I can collect Social Security on him!?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 09:39:15 pm »
WS ewwwwwwwwwwwww hunny that was more than a need to know basis! I do remember a time when my cat (mighty mouse) was exactly like yours half eaten prizes left at my feet or gee I even had on one occasion a head of a mouse in my bed (talk about giving the cat a lecture!) But now Mighty Mouse is satisfied with sitting contently in the window of the living room and staring out at the big wide world with not much wonder! Of course...his days of being a mouser are long gone since he's at the end of his days and considered a senior citizen (Mouse is 16 years old)......wonder if I can collect Social Security on him!?

Wow.......16 years old......that's a great life for a cat.  I've got one that's about 16 as well.......and, like yours, she's DEFINITELY no mouser.  But the other 2 are 1/2 Manx and they love to hunt.....and they're in their prime......7 yrs. each.  I'll get a couple of pics, post them and pm you.....and I'd like to see yours, too....... 8)......give me a few days......we're headed out of town.......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Sandy_T

• Arctic Spa Salesman
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 08:50:39 pm »
Check out Arctic Spas Forever Floor.  I think you will be very impressed/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 08:50:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42