What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sales Slowdown?  (Read 2980 times)

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
Sales Slowdown?
« on: August 23, 2005, 06:57:57 pm »
Hi, I am new to this site but have over 20 years experience in the spa industry.  About mid-June our customer counts dropped off dramatically!  This is the slowest summer for spa sales (for me) in the last 10 years.  It is definitely a buyer's market in Michigan right now!  We are thinking it is due to the warm temperatures, but now with cooler temps I am not so sure?  I am curious if other spa salespeople were experiencing a similiar slow down?  If you were slow and are coming out of it please let me know how long this could last?  Good luck all!

Hot Tub Forum

Sales Slowdown?
« on: August 23, 2005, 06:57:57 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Sales Slowdown?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:46:11 pm »
Hang in there!  Mid July to Mid August were the worst stretch I have ever had.  I had a fair number of shoppers, but no one was buying.  About a week ago, it took off with a bang.  I've written up 14 spas in the last five days.  I guess everyone's back in school and through with vacation.  It's still very hot here, 100+ the last few days.

It'll get better!

Terminator
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:46:40 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:19:02 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement!  Did you try a new promotion or was it just pent up demand?  

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:05:39 am »
Didn't really do any advertising or promotions this month, it just seems like the timing is right for the customers.  I think the combination of school starting and vacations being over (possibly high gas prices?) have gotten folks in the mood to start buying.  I think the year is going to finish up strong.  It's been really streaky this year, but overall, we are about 20 spas ahead of where we were this time last year.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:32:46 pm »
Historically, I have found mid Aug to the first week of Sept to be very slow in regards to traffic.

Taking advantage of the last opportunity for summer holidays and then getting the kids ready for "back to school" can have a dramatic, negative impact on traffic.

Also, don't bother advertising again until the second week of Sept as it'll get lost in back to school ads.

Steve

Poohbear66

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 11:38:26 am »
Things have certainly been slow this summer.  I think high gas prices.  But it seems to be turning around now. Hang in there.

PPOL

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 11:45:55 am »
July was our worst on record, a lot of foot traffic, but worst on record.

August rolled around and we sold 3 in the first week, but getting a lot more traffic.

It's been a really hot summer, so I figure the last thing people think of is sitting in warm water outside.

Of course, I drop my temp down to 90 and turn on the summer lock, I'm in it everyday.

tootsie

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 12:51:22 pm »
Scott,  
      From a consumers point of view,   In June we went shopping for a swimming pool and actually stumbled upon hot tubs,  Im in New York and this summer has  been one of the hottest I remember, people working out side  with no shade were in 100 degree + temperatures.   The thought of buying a hot tub was one of the furthest things from our minds, till one of the pool dealers told us you could shut off the heater or turn the heater down to 80- 90degrees,  we have friends with pools that have heaters set at 91.  so we figured this may be the way to go.

so for advertising purposes  may I suggest:
1.  The temp of the tub does not have to be 106
2.  The tubs can be used all year round
3.  Even in this climate they can be placed outside.
 (something else I didn't know)
4.  same or less maintenance and chemical costs for running all year as running a pool for 3-4 months (unless this was a sales tactic, we heard from 3 dealers that sold both).

This maybe something you already do, but I never heard it until we started shopping and talking to the dealerships.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 12:51:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42