What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on emptying tub.  (Read 7891 times)

SJK

Need advice on emptying tub.
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:48:51 pm »
I started draining my tub for the first time tonight and its taking forever.  The dealer told me two hours but it's at three and counting and I'd like to go to bed sometime tonight.  My question is, can I leave it empty overnight and scrub and refill it in the morning?  Is their any danger of screwing up pumps or seal if it dries out overnight?

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice on emptying tub.
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:48:51 pm »

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
Re: Need advice on emptying tub.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:02:40 pm »
Go to bed, your seals will be fine.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:01:48 am »
Just don't run the tub without water ;)

If you want to speed up the drain process, try a larger size drain hose.  I use a 3/4" garden hose on my spa, but I had it on hand already- to feed my pressure washer.  Some dealers sell quick drain kits.  Some people use submersible pumps to really drain fast.  

Brewman
Brewman

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 08:08:47 am »
I drained mine 3 times in a month, once by myself using the drain plug and 3/4 inch hose..it took all night.  The other 2 times it was the dealer who drained it with a quick wand and it took less than 1/2 hour.  I don't know how much those things cost but I will be investigating it for myself, they must be less than $100.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

nicker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:03 am »
I am lucky and have  a 1 1/2 inch drain and my tub drains in about 1/2 hour.  My buddy only has the 1/2 in drain and man does it take for ever.  He used a hose and did a syphon technique and it worked well.  Drained his tub in about 1 hour.  If it took me 3 or more hours to drain my tub Id be investing in some form of pump.  I can have my tub drained cleaned and refilled in under 2 hours.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:59:05 am »
I do both, I hook up 1 hose to the drain and use another hose to syphon out of the top.  From the time I start draining to the time my tub is refilled I think is about 3 hours if I remember correctly.  I suppose it would be even quicker to use 3 hoses. Hmm... I'll have to try it next time.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:59:19 am »
Of course, if your tub does take a long time to drain, and you don't want to invest in some kind of pump, you can always do it the old fashion way...add extra hoses over the rim and siphon it out, along with the hose drain. Instead of sucking the hose with your mouth to get them started, use water from an outside outlet, to "charge" the line with water (flushing out all the air), then disconnect and let her rip.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 10:03:53 am »
Guess I'm lucky here, with the 3/4" hose, my 500 gallons is gone in about an hour, maybe less.
Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 10:20:44 am »
I thought I read on here someone purchases either a sump pump or fountain pump to aid in the hot tub draining. Might be worth checking out.

-Ed

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 10:27:37 am »
I use a small pump to aid in draining the tub. I'm not sure of the brand, but it's something like this:

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-~pony+pump-p7975125

They are a very handy thing to have around the house.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 10:31:28 am »
We use a sump pump hose that I got at Home Depot for around $10.

I run the hose into the yard and put the hose into the tub.  I turn on the whirlpool jet full blast and hold the hose in front of it.  It gets a really good flow going.  After about 10 seconds or so I kill the power and gravity does the rest.  

Our tub is close to 500 gallons and we empty in 15 minutes this way.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 10:36:25 am »

I run the hose into the yard and put the hose into the tub.  I turn on the whirlpool jet full blast and hold the hose in front of it.  It gets a really good flow going.  After about 10 seconds or so I kill the power and gravity does the rest.  

This is what I do too!

It's cheap and quick!!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 01:03:25 pm »
How we drained our tub..is we have a hose that is really old, hubby has fixed leaks in it about 5 times, so he takes it apart (it's hooked together by repair kits) and waaaa laaa we have 5 seperate hoses to siphon water from the tub. Takes about 15 min to drain then the rest of the water that is in the tub I drain with an old fashioned cup and bucket till my back tells me I can't do no more and hubby yells at me to get out of the tub that I'm only going to make my back worse! Anyway that's another story for another day!

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:32 pm »
How we drained our tub..is we have a hose that is really old, hubby has fixed leaks in it about 5 times, so he takes it apart (it's hooked together by repair kits) and waaaa laaa we have 5 seperate hoses to siphon water from the tub. Takes about 15 min to drain then the rest of the water that is in the tub I drain with an old fashioned cup and bucket till my back tells me I can't do no more and hubby yells at me to get out of the tub that I'm only going to make my back worse! Anyway that's another story for another day!

I am not familiar with your tub but why do you need a bucket, is there no floor drain.  If not how much water can still be left that you would care about it before filling it back up, I mean 1 gallon or so against 399 gallons fresh shouldn't make much difference should it???

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 04:23:36 pm »

Same here.  Sump Pump hose is basically pool hose - so that would work just as well.   Then I use a shop vac to empty the water from the seats etc.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 04:23:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42