What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone know about US-Spas?  (Read 9354 times)

Soakin

Re: Anyone know about US-Spas?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »
Joseph Alexander? Didn't he play George Castanza on Seinfield?  ;)
No, that was Jason.  Joseph is his brother that does the bad Chrysler commercials with Lee Iaccoca. 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 05:50:56 pm »
I may be off base here as I'm new to all this and my hot tub is still about a month away, so I can't say as I have any actual experience, just some bits and pieces of knowledge that I've picked up on from reading these forums. From looking at the picture of the tub does any one else feel that a disproportionate amount of the jets are small jets. Looking at one of there other  tubs on the web page (101 jets) the ratio is even more out of whack. My impression from what I've read is that the larger jets tend to provide a better message, while the smaller ones may tend to sting a bit. I know that all manufacturers use different combinations of large and small jets, but all the other tubs I've looked at seem more balanced. By using smaller jets can they get away with using smaller/less pumps? I may be way off on my line of thought here, and if I am please let me know,  but it just doesn't look right to me.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 08:54:42 pm »
I'm curious if anyone can answer WHO really builds the following brands of spas:

Sunco
Sundaze
Sunseeker
HydroSpa
US-Spas
Gulf Coast
Leisure Bay
Superior

I think the first 4 are made in Daytona FL and are the brand marketed by that scamming Stacey Diego.  They all look very similiar and are somewhat fuzzy in regards to their place of manufacture.  Are these companies buying generic shells from someplace?  Sure looks like it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 08:59:55 pm »
here in Northern NJ

Where in Northern NJ.  I'm in NW NJ and bought my tub (HS Envoy) in Middletown, NY.

SuziQ

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 01:25:22 am »
Terminator, you provided a link when someone mentioned Hydro Spas, but that link said nothing about that brand.  Is Sunco the manufacturer of Hydro Spas? I've seen several negative comments on this forum about Hydro Spas, but nothing from someone who actually seems to own one.  Is there anyone out there who does own a tub manufactured by that company?  Is the problem the quality of the tub, or is it a problem with service after the sale.
I'm not trying to be flippant. We're seriously looking for a hot tub and were not interested in spending a fortune on one, so we're looking at ALL possibilities.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 09:57:14 am »
Hi SuziQ!

There was mention in that link about Hydro Spa, but it was easy to miss.  Hydro Spa is one of the brand names (along with Sundaze, Sunseeker, Sunco) of a disreputable company out of Florida that manufactures very, very cheap spas and uses individuals to sell them out of storage buildings and on the side of the road.  

One of the worst is a woman named Stacey Diaz aka Stacey Diego aka Stacey Smart.  She operates primarily in Texas but she has associates working around the country.  If you ever answer an ad in the Thrifty Nickel or American Classified paper where someone has "a $5700 spa that they will sell for $1700", then these are more than likely the crooks you are dealing with.

It usually works like this:  They will have some sort of cover story (we have an overstock, our building contract fell through, etc) and they will then try to "upgrade" you to one of their "$8000 spas that you can have for $4500".  Then they will request a check or cash deposit.  Delivery will always be at least 2 weeks away (this gives them time for your check to clear).

Then, one of three things will happen:

1.  They will show up after dark with a junker spa (the old Bait and Switch).  You will have to pay the balance and then be stuck with it.

2.  You refuse delivery and they disappear with your deposit.

3.  They never show up and you lose your deposit.

If you need further proof, go to the Dallas, Tx BBB website and type in "Hydro Spa" in the search function.  If that still isn't proof enough not to do business with them, check some of the posts at www.rhtubs.com and other spa websites.  If that still isn't enough proof, well, I wish you luck! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

xqqqsme

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 10:30:46 am »
I'm curious if anyone can answer WHO really builds the following brands of spas:

Sunco
Sundaze
Sunseeker
HydroSpa
US-Spas
Gulf Coast
Leisure Bay
Superior

I think the first 4 are made in Daytona FL and are the brand marketed by that scamming Stacey Diego.  They all look very similiar and are somewhat fuzzy in regards to their place of manufacture.  Are these companies buying generic shells from someplace?  Sure looks like it.

Terminator

I don't know the answer but I did talk to the factory about the spa I was considering and interestingly they are located in FLA (tampa) with CA (Sacramento) location.  

Could this be the same one?

Signed, "still undecided but collecting information"

xqqqsme

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 10:36:29 am »

Where in Northern NJ.  I'm in NW NJ and bought my tub (HS Envoy) in Middletown, NY.

In Bergen County.  The closest HS dealer is one twon over and Sundance dealer is just over NY State border, also within 10 miles

Before you purchased the HS Envoy, did you consider any other spas?  I liked the Grandee and the Maxxum but now feel I should keep looking till I'm 100% comfortable and happy with the brand, warranty, service and reputation

I was sent a brochure from Thermo Spa with a CD that looks like it cost a bundle to produce.  

Should they be on my short list of spas?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 11:10:18 am »

...I was sent a brochure from Thermo Spa with a CD that looks like it cost a bundle to produce.  

Should they be on my short list of spas?

Xqqqsme,

I'm not a spa proffesional, just an ower, but it seems to be the general feeling on this board and others, that Thermo spas are overpriced.  Their sales tatics are very aggressive as well.  

You cannot wet test a thermospa and just about everyone will tell you that wet testing is critical in making your decsion.

I have heard stories that thier "trade in" policy is meaningless.

I also wonder about all the features they want you to buy.

A tv? A radio? An ice bucket? A towel warmer?

Does anyone who gets out of a hot tub really want a hot towel? Not me.  Ice buckets get filled with dirt and water. A tv? A radio?  Not for me....

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

xqqqsme

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 11:16:26 am »

Xqqqsme,

I'm not a spa proffesional, just an ower, but it seems to be the general feeling on this board and others, that Thermo spas are overpriced.  Their sales tatics are very aggressive as well.  

You cannot wet test a thermospa and just about everyone will tell you that wet testing is critical in making your decsion.

I have heard stories that thier "trade in" policy is meaningless.

I also wonder about all the features they want you to buy.

A tv? A radio? An ice bucket? A towel warmer?

Does anyone who gets out of a hot tub really want a hot towel? Not me.  Ice buckets get filled with dirt and water. A tv? A radio?  Not for me....

Thanks Drewster,

Did a bit of research right after I posted that and am in agreement.  

Will still look and take the advise offered,

Wet Test, Wet Test, Wet Test!!!

Hoping to be a Spa Owner soon!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:42 am »
Just to be fair though, people who have bought a thermo spa say they enjoy it. They just seem to wish they did a little bit more shopping around before doing so.

07 Caldera Geneva

xqqqsme

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 11:52:53 am »
Just to be fair though, people who have bought a thermo spa say they enjoy it. They just seem to wish they did a little bit more shopping around before doing so.

What is the reason behind the purchaser's remorse?  Better values out there?  Better Spa's?  Or just not what was represented in the brochures?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 12:02:28 pm »

What is the reason behind the purchaser's remorse?  Better values out there?  Better Spa's?  Or just not what was represented in the brochures?

From the accounts I read,  A potential hot tub consumer see's the ads on TV and figures it can't hurt to call and get more info. This results in a high pressure salesman comming to thier house and really pulling out all the stops to sell the tub then and there without comparison shopping.

They end up paying thousands more for a tub and after the euphoria of the purchase, wonder if they could have gotten a better tub for a lot less money from a local dealer.  They realize any of the bells and whistles are over priced and not really something they needed.  

Other reports say when they go to "trade in" the tub, Thermo spa "pro rates" the tub and signigicanlty undervalues  it.

A nationaly known  window replacement company used to do the same thing.  

07 Caldera Geneva

xqqqsme

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 12:06:13 pm »

From the accounts I read,  A potential hot tub consumer see's the ads on TV and figures it can't hurt to call and get more info. This results in a high pressure salesman comming to thier house and really pulling out all the stops to sell the tub then and there without comparison shopping.

They end up paying thousands more for a tub and after the euphoria of the purchase, wonder if they could have gotten a better tub for a lot less money from a local dealer.  They realize any of the bells and whistles are over priced and not really something they needed.  

Other reports say when they go to "trade in" the tub, Thermo spa "pro rates" the tub and signigicanlty undervalues  it.

A nationaly known  window replacement company used to do the same thing.  

Interesting!  

Glad I checked here before making a move.  

What are the other Spa website's to check as I continue to research.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 12:09:47 pm »

From the feedback I've seen over the years, Thermospas are  very expensive with marginal quality and poor customer service (not to mention pushy sales tactics). I scratch my head relative to them the most. When people buy spas from Gulf Coast, Hydro Spa, US Spas etc. I at least understand why they buy them; while I don't think they're a good value, they appeal to what matters most to some, they are cheap (in most every way). But with Thermospa, you're paying big bucks as they use the old "if we charge a pretty penny people will believe it must be a top of the line product".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 12:09:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42