What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone know about US-Spas?  (Read 9354 times)

xqqqsme

Anyone know about US-Spas?
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:50:26 am »
Hi, new to the forum.  Saw lots of spas over the past several months and was about to buy Hot Springs but saw a good value spa at a small local vender that just opened his doors.  It's called the Joseph Alexander Collection by US Spas.  Manufacturer is Kits International.  Can anyone tell me about this line of spas?  I saw the Solstice model and was quoted $6200 installed with cover and chemicals.
You folks are helpful so I'm asking for your advise.  

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone know about US-Spas?
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:50:26 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Anyone know about US-Spas?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:33:13 pm »
Hi, new to the forum.  Saw lots of spas over the past several months and was about to buy Hot Springs but saw a good value spa at a small local vender that just opened his doors.  It's called the Joseph Alexander Collection by US Spas.  Manufacturer is Kits International.  Can anyone tell me about this line of spas?  I saw the Solstice model and was quoted $6200 installed with cover and chemicals.
You folks are helpful so I'm asking for your advise.  

Thanks!

The US spa was a "good value" or a good price? I don't know too much about them (search here and on other sites as I know I've seen some posts) but I'd look very closely on this one. This purchase needs to last you the next 12+ years and you want something that is built to last, designed to please and that has a warranty that will is both thorough and that will be honored without question.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Poohbear66

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:05:09 pm »
NO WAY!  Stick with a reputable brand and an established dealer!  Good luck!

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 02:37:04 pm »
Poohbear

Your stock answer to anybody's question on spas seems to be only buy one of four or five brands.  What is your basis of expertise?  Have you owned several spas?  Are you a dealer?  If you are a service tech with several years of experience, others might be more inclined to listen to you.

Inquiring minds want to know!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:38:01 pm by JJ »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 02:59:56 pm »
Poohbear

Your stock answer to anybody's question on spas seems to be only buy one of four or five brands.  What is your basis of expertise?  Have you owned several spas?  Are you a dealer?  If you are a service tech with several years of experience, others might be more inclined to listen to you.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Well,
I would agree with Poohbear and I have owned several brands personally, been a dealer for several different brands, serviced/sold/delivered thousands of spas and am a dealer of two of the higher rated brands.

IMO, unless your getting something no one else has or saving a ton of money I would say that Poohbear's advice would apply!

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 03:08:31 pm »
And how did top rated spas get to be that way?

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 04:06:18 pm »
Poohbear

I found the answer to my question in another post.  You are a dealer.  Let me guess... Hotsprings?  Caldera?  

Soakin

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 05:18:05 pm »

Well,
I would agree with Poohbear...
Stuart, as you know I respect your input immensely, and in the situation described by xqqqsme, (new dealer, unknown spa) I also agree ... but I think that JJ has a point in that IMO a dealer should identify themselves as such when recommending their brand over another, and they should provide a basis for that opinion beyond "xyz is a major brand, abc isn't".  Within the regulars on the site this isn't an issue, we know who sells or owns what, and most of the dealers (you included) are great about acknowledging that there are several good choices in addition to what they sell-- in fact they usually go out of their way to avoid voicing their natural bias.  Poohbear just hasn't found that tone yet, and JJ and I called him on it because he happened to "dis" a couple of lesser known brands that we have had positive experience with.

As you well know, there are a lot of small brands out there that build a quality tub, using the same materials, techniques and components as the "big names", and they stand behind their products as well as their larger competitors.  The problem is distinguishing them from the scam artists and fly-by-night operations, and determining if they will be around for the long haul.  For most people, it is probably easier and safer to go with a known commodity, just like somebody that doesn't know cars is better off with a new car and warranty, rather than saving money on a used car that they don't know how to evaluate.  That doesn't make a Vita/Saratoga/Dynasty/Bullfrog, etc a bad choice, just one that you need to do your homework on.

Poohbear, if you have direct knowledge of concerns regarding a brand, please share, that is one of the great values of this board.  Please just give us more info than "stay away", and a simple "I sell Hotspring" will allow readers to know your natural biases.

Cal

xqqqsme

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 08:39:57 am »
Soakin and others,

Thank you for the quality responses and grounded evaluations.  I still am seriously considering this model over the better known, albeit, costlier brands.  It is the (Solstice model in the Joseph Alexander Collection.  You can see the website by hitting this link     http://www.jalexandercollection.com
But, an engineer by trade, I can't help but look at the features and quality construction, in my evaluation.  

Here's what I found out since I posted this question, the factory is 3 years old, located in Florida and they manufacture about 5000 units per year.  This is their highest quality line.  They claim they wet test all units and use what appear to be quality components (Balboa M7 controls, Auqaflow pumps)  They also say they don't fill the cavity with foam because the construction and insulation methods used provide sufficient heat year round.  They say they build to more exact standards, but who would say diferent? Anyway, they look and feel high quality.  

The vendor also sells Hydro Spa's and said he could sell me one of those which he has been selling for 30 years. (other locations) He says that both are great spas and that The Solstice spa is made better and will last long, has a good warranty and support network of technicians.

The vendor gave me the name of the Factory and I called yeaterday so I'll keep everyone posted on what is revealed in the return call.

In ending, thank everyone for the comments and I will be guided by your advise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:36:17 am by wmccall »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 09:28:46 am »
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!!!

I saw in your previous post where you mentioned HydroSpa.  Read this
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1124126088, particularly the part about HydroSpa.  If they are in anyway associated with this outfit, you are throwing your money away.  There are con artists in the spa industry, so use your head. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 09:38:22 am »
Here is what he is looking at.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Soakin

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 09:59:35 am »
...the factory is 3 years old, located in Florida and they manufacture about 5000 units per year...   They also say they don't fill the cavity with foam because the construction and insulation methods used provide sufficient heat year round...  spa is made better and will last long, has a good warranty and support network of technicians.

xqqqsme,
Anytime someone puts a link to a mfg and provides a lot of sales pitch in their post, I start to wonder if we are being played.  If you are seriously considering this, here are a few things to consider:

1.  The thermopane insulation method has been thoroughly discussed here, do a search to find the lengthy threads on the topic.  My take on it, there are only a few mfg that do it well, and others here would debate if even they are effective.  

2.  Three years of existence is not a very long track record to allow you to feel comfortable regarding their quality processes, warranty support, or if they will even be there at the end of your warranty.

3.  Support network of techicians?  Does this imply that the dealers don't provide the service themselves?

Just to clarify, when I spoke in defense of small mfg, I was referring to companies that have been around for several years, with a solid dealer network, but just aren't as prominent in the national market.  US Spas may or may not fit that definition, but you better feel very comfortable about the dealer's willingness and ability to stand behind the product, or your own abilitity to deal with any issues that may come up if you are going to venture this far off the beaten path.  Good luck.

xqqqsme

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 11:48:32 am »
Soakin,

Your not being played.  Sorry I really tried to give the group all the information I had in case it helped find out about a probelm spa manufacturer.

I was hours from purchasing a Spa.  It was the Sundance.  I stopped to see a Hot Springs and was told I didn't have to use chlorine to disinfect and at that point I became confused.  They both looked good they cost about the same,  $10K to $11K  This is a major purchase and this forum has helped me narrow down the models I would consider.  Its just that I had not heard about this Brand, and apparently, nobody else has either.  Right now I think the savings are not worth the potenial risks because:

1-They don't have factory technicians here in Northern NJ, to service the units, just independent contractors  and
2-The Factory rep hasn't called me back yet.  I thought it would important to hear from a potential buyer but I guess I'm wrong.

Thanks for the input.

Time to re-look at the Sundance and Hot Springs again.

Soakin

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 01:26:04 pm »
xqqsme,

My apologies for questioning your sincerity, I just try to stay out of threads that muddy the site with thinly vieled propaganda, and I wasn't sure about yours.  

Regarding your search, the point of my original post is that there are lots of good choices out there in between the HS/SD and the US Spas of the market.   You certainly don't have to spend $10k+ to get a good spa, even from the big names.  Take the time to figure what your likes and needs are, look around and wet test the ones you like.   That will time better spent than tracking down the factory rep (no offense Steve :))

One other point I'll leave you with.  Just because a dealer chooses to use contract service rather than in-house isn't necessarily a bad thing .  What is a bad thing is if the dealer isn't responsible for providing the service and you have to access the mfg and "service network" yourself.  Good luck.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 01:34:34 pm »
".... It's called the Joseph Alexander Collection by US Spas. .."

Joseph Alexander? Didn't he play George Castanza on Seinfield?  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 01:34:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42