What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber test & pricing  (Read 12982 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Re: Beachcomber test & pricing
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 12:31:24 am »
Leaky,

I have only had my 580 for one day.  Just got out from my first soak.  We loved it.  We played with interchanging the jets and will probably exchange some of the single nozzle ones for multiple nozzle ones.  Within the first 30 days you can swap out any jets for free.  One issue is the diverter valve is loud.  The owner is coming out tomorrow to show us how to use the tub and we will ask him about it.  We bought our tub on a 4 of July sale.  We live in Tucson, AZ so the summer is not a high time for Hot Tub sales (high is always over a 100).

We wet tested the 750 and did not like the side/lounge seat when you use it facing the middle.  The jets hit you in the side and we did not care for that.  The 730 was nice but we liked the bigger foot well on the 580.  

I will keep you posted after the owner gives us the demo.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 12:31:24 am »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:40 am »
I know nothing about *these* models, but I'll comment on my previous spa, the PDC, which also had a lot of the hardware under the steps.  I don't know about this one, but the arrangement there was that the steps were sort of a loose cover where the spa pack sat under the steps.  Mine was set into a deck, so was above the ground.  However, if it had been on the ground, I know I would have had a lot of bugs and other things making their way inside.

That's why I like the more totally sealed arrangement of SD and others like it.  Are these models you looked at sealed where the plumbing from the pumps enter the 'inside'? Or is the step a closed extension of the cabinet to keep outside things outside?  :)

The step sits ontop of the spapack and screw into the side of the tub, it is as sealed as any other tub out there.  No tub is sealed tight.  The spapack has a floor to it as well so the pump and heater are not sitting on the ground, under the step is also where you drain it.  I meant to comment about the step in my last post regarding it's height, they do sell a smaller add on step but we felt it was not necessary.  We have 3 kids, 12, 10 and 7 and no problems getting in and out.  

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 08:59:01 am »
This site is SOOO helpful.  Thanks to you guys for the input.  Marks, definitely keep me updated.  Like I said, one problem for us would be that there's no real way to test the 580.  The only local dealer has just the 750 wet, and no 580 even on the floor.  He'd have to get one delivered to the store and then get it set up to wet test.  Not sure if he'd be willing to do that, but I doubt it.

And Rayman, thanks for the info on sealing.  The store obviously didn't bother screwing the step down for display reasons.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 10:48:13 am »
Leaky,

I bought the small side step and like it.  It helps when getting out of the tub.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 01:56:18 pm »

The step sits ontop of the spapack and screw into the side of the tub, it is as sealed as any other tub out there.  No tub is sealed tight.  The spapack has a floor to it as well so the pump and heater are not sitting on the ground, under the step is also where you drain it.  I meant to comment about the step in my last post regarding it's height, they do sell a smaller add on step but we felt it was not necessary.  We have 3 kids, 12, 10 and 7 and no problems getting in and out.  

Ray

That sounds a lot better that the PDC we had.  The step just sat there, and anything that crawled around it could get inside.  The only thing stopping them from getting all the way inside to the plumbing was the state of the TP.  

Glad to hear it's pretty well sealed against the exterior critters, and best of luck!
--
Lee

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 04:53:49 pm »
Leaky,

Had my demo this morning.  The diverter just need to be re-screwed on.  My whole purchasing experience could not have been better.  Tub delivered on time, no hassles with the install and everything works out of the box.  Some other points:

I am using the Care Free water program (very easily)
I really like the turbo option

SJK

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 11:55:03 pm »
Leaky,
I think your assessment of the Beachcomber is a pretty good one, and I second everything Rayman had to say. In terms of quality, quietness, nice deep seating and dealer support, it was the best we found.  We've have a 730 since April and love everything about it.  I've never heard of a third pump option for the footjets, but I would go that route if you could.  As for the lighting, we almost never use it but, like picking different models, it all comes down to personal preference.   I don't think you could go too far wrong though, with any  Beachcomber.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 02:31:25 pm »
SLK,

Any advice on the Beachcomber filtering system?  My current plan is the following:

Hose the filter off weekly
Soak the filter every month alternating between Filter Pure and Filter Cure
Use a two filters so that when one is soaking the next one is ready.
Hope the two filter set, lasts 2 years

One other option I as considering is the MicroPure Disposable filter.  My dealer did not like this idea.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 05:02:10 pm »
Leaky if the LED option seems expensive you can buy it aftermarket for $99.00 cdn and install it yourself, which is very easy, the same as changing a light bulb.
The LED is a nice feature at night.
Regards, Zz

Duffman

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 12:41:07 pm »
Great post Leaky.

Please keep us informed on your other wet test experiences :)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 01:21:32 pm »
Got a call from the Beachcomber rep yesterday, just checking to see if we'd made a decision or done any further investigation.  He also clarified a couple of things for me:

-As for the LED lighting, that is standard on the "Limited Edition" models (which I think are all the 700 series, but for what we're looking at there would be no cost).

-Although not standard and probably unnecessary (I've seen the excellent threads here debating this issue), if I opt for CD ozonator, he'd install it for $295.

-Lead time for custom order is only 2-3 weeks.  If the model I want is in stock in the warehouse just down the 5 freeway, I could get delivery the next day.

-The small "half step" that cuts the height of getting onto the large pro-tec step is included with the purchase.

-I'm pretty sure that if I made it a deal sealer, the rep would throw in an extra filter and probably a step up in cover foam density.

Duffman, awesome review of the Epic.  I've been perusing the site over the past couple of days just waiting to see your words.  It seems that some of my exact concerns regarding seating and jet diverting were confirmed in detail by your wet test.  

With that in mind, I'm leaning towards the Beachcomber.  Although the 750 is only around $400 more, I think we'd be happier with the 730, where two of the main corner seats don't need to be utilized as "pseudo" lounges.  

Recapping, with my incentives, I'd like to be able to get the 730 for $8,940 plus tax.

That would include the Limited Edition package, additional filter, 2 lb. foam cover, coverlift, extra step, ozonator, delivery and setup.  Sounds pretty tempting, especially if I could have it on the patio by the middle of next week......

How much did you guys pay for the Turbo Pump option?

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 06:48:10 pm »
Leaky,

I paid $299 for the Turbo Option.  I think if you can get what you are talking about for under $9,000 you are getting a good deal.

Mark

SJK

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 06:21:23 pm »
Marks,

I alternate the two filters monthly, soaking them in the little canister with the brush in the centre (that Beachcomber will happily sell you).  I always hose them a minimum once a week-  often twice a week depending on tub use and rarely have a problem with foaming

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2005, 07:51:20 pm »
SLK,

Thanks for the input.  That is my plan also.  I have bought a spare filter, cleaning canister, Filter Pure and Filture cure.  Do you know how long the pair of two filters should last?

Thanks,

Mark

SJK

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 09:41:45 pm »
Marks,

Not sure, but I hope at least a year or two.  I often wonder how much pressure I should have on the hose when I rinse them and whether I am shortening their lifespan by being too vigorous.  By the way, what's a hand held jet?  I've never heard of that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 09:41:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42