What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How level should tub be?  (Read 3339 times)

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How level should tub be?
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:37:23 pm »
Howdy all,
I plan to install a late 90's Vita Spa Elan on a brick patio that is not level.  

How level does it have to be?  The pics below illustrate the patio slope.  I see one option being to remove the bricks in the space the tub will occupy, level the ground and lay the bricks back into place (not so easy being that the bricks are angled.  I suppose another less invasive method would be to build a base out of 4X4's cut like big wedges, placed  every 12", plywood over them and place the tub on that.  What do you think?

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:38:31 pm by Hubjeep »

Hot Tub Forum

How level should tub be?
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:37:23 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: How level should tub be?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 05:18:42 pm »
Usually no more than an inch over the length of the tub. I've seen a few people in your situation make a box frame with PT 2x6s uprite but they rip the wood to make the box level and then fill it with pea gravel and voila.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hair

• artesian gives lust, jealousy gives regret
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:22:22 pm »
why can't you just shim the side that is low?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:34:32 pm »
why can't you just shim the side that is low?

Check with the dealer/manufacturer. These spas can weigh about 3 tons when filled and occupied. It is best to have that weight equally distributed along the bottom of the spa (especially the footwell area). If you shim the outside edge only I'd be afraid of what that will do. Some spas may be built to take this butI'd want the dealer/manufacturer to give me the OK on that type of idea.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:21:31 pm »

Check with the dealer/manufacturer. These spas can weigh about 3 tons when filled and occupied. It is best to have that weight equally distributed along the bottom of the spa (especially the footwell area). If you shim the outside edge only I'd be afraid of what that will do.

Yeah, I want to evenly distribute the weight over the entire bottom.  What do you think about the 4X4 idea?  It should provide plenty of support.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:21:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42