What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any One Used A Dirty Duck?  (Read 8625 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Any One Used A Dirty Duck?
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:32:29 am »

Yes, I know I'm going to get all kinds of unrelated comments about this but has anyone tried a Leisure Time Dirty Duck to absorb scum, oils, surface contaminants, etc. from a spa? It just floats in the spa suckin' up all the bad stuff. Any one use it?
Sounds interesting.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Any One Used A Dirty Duck?
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:32:29 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Any One Used A Dirty Duck?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:42:30 am »
Yes, I have. They work. It is made of Polypropylene, spun in such as way that it absorbs oil while floating in water.

There are many such products on the market, I haven't found any that work better than the others, except for "Scumbag" which has a huge blob of the stuff in a net bag. That tends to make it easier to handle without releasing the oils back into the spa as you take it out for cleaning.

Also, you can use the bag to hold the thing in place in your spa if that works better for you.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:12:29 am »
I have always had a scum bug (same as dirty duck) floating in my water.  It pretty much stays in the filter compartment.  Don't forget to rinse it out on a regular basis.

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:17:07 am »
for those of who dont know.... where can you get a scum bag?

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 07:23:21 pm »
I was gonna.... but nah.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 07:43:40 pm »
for those of who dont know.... where can you get a scum bag?

I'm pretty sure he's been banned from this web site

I'M SORRY MR. MODERATOR, I REALLY COULDN'T RESIST.
feel free to delete this
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 10:10:25 am »
What Doc forgot to mention, you can get them from his website.  You should be able to find comparable products at local dealers, too.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 12:52:44 pm »
Speaking of buying online, I clicked on one of the member's links and found a great site that i just purchased a pump that drains the spa in less than 3 hours completely for much less than the store near me.  I can't remember the member, but it was Spadepot and they even threw in a cool magnet for the fridge that tells me all the proper levels as i reach for my milk each morning.

Ebay has also been great as i wanted an extra set of filters and found a set for half of what the normal retail is and they are exactly the same.  I think I will probably only buy items I need immediately at the actual store from now on, like beer.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 01:44:49 pm »
Speaking of buying online, I clicked on one of the member's links and found a great site that i just purchased a pump that drains the spa in less than 3 hours completely for much less than the store near me.  I can't remember the member, but it was Spadepot and they even threw in a cool magnet for the fridge that tells me all the proper levels as i reach for my milk each morning.

My dealer told me to use 1 1/2" corrugated tubing. I had a new 25' length around from when I was working on my sump pump. It drained my 400 Gallons in about 45 min. I turned my heater down, started the siphoning action from a jet (no air mixing) and turned off the tub at the breaker once the siphon took. It worked great!

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 05:41:03 pm »
The dirty duck, scumbag and scumball do work well to absorb oil. Many people place them right into the filter compartment, but be sure to turn off the breaker, prior to removing you spa filters for cleaning, as we have removed many of many of these oil absorbing sponges from inside the pumps. It starts with a service call from a customer claiming their pump is running, but no water is coming out of the jets. When we remove the pump face plate union, we find a scumball wedged into the face of the pump,blocking flow to the impeller. If the filter is removed with the pumps running , even on low speed, the pump will suck the scum ball right into the pump.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 10:16:27 pm »
...but be sure to turn off the breaker, prior to removing your spa filters for cleaning, as we have removed many of many of these oil absorbing sponges from inside the pumps.

NJDave,
Thanks for the tip. I could easily see that happening!  :o

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 10:44:01 pm »
NE-Phil
Your welcome. We get a service call about every month, for items getting sucked into pumps. Besides oil absorbing sponges, we also have removed leaves, childrens toys, bathing suits, underwear and another item I won't mention.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 10:30:49 am »
Is a scum ball better to use than enzymes?

Is the outcome the same - no ring around the tub.

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 02:45:13 pm »

My dealer told me to use 1 1/2" corrugated tubing. I had a new 25' length around from when I was working on my sump pump. It drained my 400 Gallons in about 45 min. I turned my heater down, started the siphoning action from a jet (no air mixing) and turned off the tub at the breaker once the siphon took. It worked great!

Vinny, could you explain this in some more detail. How are you using the jet to create a siphon?

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 03:08:42 pm »
  Just a guess on my part but I'd venture that he puts the end of the 25' of tubing at the jet, turns it on and the jet starts the water down the tube. Would beat the heck out of doing it like you were 'borrowing" gas from your dad's car and getting that painful feeling in the jaws just below your ears. I'm just guessing on that part too of course.   paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 03:08:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42