What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dream maker spas  (Read 22053 times)

rosemary

dream maker spas
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:21:01 am »
Anyone familiar with dream maker spas?  Are they economical in terms of electricity use?

Hot Tub Forum

dream maker spas
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:21:01 am »

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
Re: dream maker spas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 05:27:12 pm »
The Dream Maker Spa is a little different from most spas. It has no heater. The water is heated by the heat coming from the pump. As the pump continues to run, the  pump motor gets hotter and as water runs through the pump, it gradually increases the water temperature. Gradually is the key word. With a fresh filled spa it will take about 30-40 hours to heat the water. So, the pump will run on high speed until it finally reaches temperature. You may not want to place the tub just outside your bedroom window. As for the spa, they were made specifically for the price point market $1999-2499. The shell and cabinet is a rotational molded material, just like what is used for similar brands Nordic Spas and Freeflow Spas. Dream Maker Spas were previously called Quantum Spas. Locally, we have seen an increase in leaks, behind the shell cavity, in many cases not accessable for repairs. You asked about electrical costs, from what we have heard from customers that have them, the costs are about $30 per month, a bit higher in colder climates. As a 110 volt plug and play spa, it will get you wet and provide some enjoyment, for a few years. If you are looking for a long term spa, other brands for a little more money can offer quality and more features.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 05:49:48 pm »
One of the most clueless companies that I have ever dealt with!

No one at the factory can seem to give you a straight answer, when you do get an answer it will contradicted by the next person on the phone, warranty issues take forever, multiple problems with the spas even though they are simple enough to not have any and to top it off they have poor performance and are not that aesthetically appealing.

In the last couple of years they have been distributed by Leisure bay Industries who have had their own issues and problems. The ownership responsibility changed but the organization and manufacturing stayed much the same.

This spa is made and sold as a “disposable” hot tub IMO….

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 06:52:22 pm »
Are you sure those aren't ice coolers with bubble makers?  The website is decieving.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 06:56:47 pm »
Are you sure those aren't ice coolers with bubble makers?  The website is decieving.

Thank you...I was trying to not say that but really wanted to!! ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 07:00:09 pm »
Very informative post NJDave! ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 08:23:44 pm »
NJdave,
We've seen most of the leaks in cracked shells right behind the filter compartment...How about you guys?

NJDave

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 08:34:43 pm »
Thanks Terminator.
We have 3 or 4 dealers selling these spas in our market, not to mention internet sellers. We have been getting quite a few service requests. The componenets are easy to acces for repairs, but plumbing leaks are sometimes impossible to repair. Not only is the cabinet part of the one piece rotational mold, but so is the floor. There are a few small access holes in the floor, to give you a opening to dig into the foam insulation from under the tub. But, goodluck trying to reach a cracked jet or suction. Dave.

NJDave

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 09:01:12 pm »
Stuart,
Yes, I have seen leaks behind the filter compartment and from cracked overtightened suction and jet fittings. I just replaced a cracked suction the other day, it took some work, but we got to it and were able to replace it.
So far, we have stayed clear from selling $1999 type spas. Until I find something in that price range that will hold up and satisfy the customer, I'll continue to stay clear and leave it to the internet sellers. Dave.

ntauctions

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:32:59 pm »
Brining back to life a 10 year old thread!

I'm 99% sure we just aquired one of these from a neighbor (free). They just bought their house and in the back yard was one of these spas (stamped with Leisure Bay on it. Eclipse, I think). Anyways, they said it leaks and they wouldn't use it enough to justify having it looked at or repaired. I told them my brother was good with plumbing and electrical, and that my wife has been wanting a hot tub for some time. They said if we can move it we could have it. We moved it, set it up in the back yard, filled in with water and sure enough, it leaks! Roughly a foot drop per day. So its not a gaping hole but definitely more than a slow drip.

We've filled it to capacity 3 or 4 times now and the water level will drop until only about a foot of water is left inside. Same stop ping point every time, which I assume is where the break is. Now the big question is, how do we get inside the tub? Its pretty much totally enclosed. Will we have to cut away the bottom fiberglass, chisel away the foam, fix the leak, then get some sort of spray foam to fill the voids back in? The motor, lights, jet, etc all seem to work so we'll probably be keeping it, just want to know what we're up against in terms of accessing the insides of the tub.

Thanks for any help someone can provide!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:04 pm »
Brining back to life a 10 year old thread!

I'm 99% sure we just aquired one of these from a neighbor (free). They just bought their house and in the back yard was one of these spas (stamped with Leisure Bay on it. Eclipse, I think). Anyways, they said it leaks and they wouldn't use it enough to justify having it looked at or repaired. I told them my brother was good with plumbing and electrical, and that my wife has been wanting a hot tub for some time. They said if we can move it we could have it. We moved it, set it up in the back yard, filled in with water and sure enough, it leaks! Roughly a foot drop per day. So its not a gaping hole but definitely more than a slow drip.

We've filled it to capacity 3 or 4 times now and the water level will drop until only about a foot of water is left inside. Same stop ping point every time, which I assume is where the break is. Now the big question is, how do we get inside the tub? Its pretty much totally enclosed. Will we have to cut away the bottom fiberglass, chisel away the foam, fix the leak, then get some sort of spray foam to fill the voids back in? The motor, lights, jet, etc all seem to work so we'll probably be keeping it, just want to know what we're up against in terms of accessing the insides of the tub.

Thanks for any help someone can provide!

First off good job, free is good. Second, sounds like your a fairly knowledgeable handy person and on the right train of though. I can't remember the last time I worked on one of these. Isn't there round dots on the bottom plastic that can be drilled out? And I think some side panes come off also on some models. They are all different and they change them a lot. Get a friend to help you tip it up on it's side so the equipment side is down. Put a moving blanket down under it. Look at the bottom. But first take off the equipment bay cover and see if there's plastic rivets holding other panels on. If it's all one piece then you have to go through the bottom. If you do cut, cut smooth carefully, shallow and accurate. Your going to want to put the piece back in and glue/caulk it in. Then follow wet foam to the leak. Your likely going to have to cut out dry foam also to get room to work. Don't worry there is not that much of it, it's easy. Do you know what year it is?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 10:34:37 pm »
Dream Maker and  Leisure Bay are two completely different companies.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:02 am »
Hey yea, I thought we were talking dream maker.
Retired

Grateful11

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »
If it has Leisure Bay on it, it's not a Dreammaker, unless someone stuck it on the tub later. There's more Leisure Bay tubs on Craigslist than you can shake a stick at and they definitely look nothing like a Dreammaker.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »
Before digging too deep, try a Leak Seal product, such as Fix A Leak.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42