What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scale and scum remover  (Read 2831 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Scale and scum remover
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:35:04 am »
I was told by a tech that he uses three capfulls of scale and scum remover as part of his weekly cleaning/chemical routine and was wondering if this is a normal routine, like clarifier and bromine with filter cleaning.  I was under them impression it was something that was done after the water was bad.

This guy really takes his water seriously and even insists that all bathers shower before entering the tub, which will never happen at my house.

He also mentioned something i think he called Sentry, that he adds to keep the ph and alk from drifting.

Hot Tub Forum

Scale and scum remover
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:35:04 am »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Scale and scum remover
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:25:49 am »
I was told by a tech that he uses three capfulls of scale and scum remover as part of his weekly cleaning/chemical routine and was wondering if this is a normal routine, like clarifier and bromine with filter cleaning.  I was under them impression it was something that was done after the water was bad.

This guy really takes his water seriously and even insists that all bathers shower before entering the tub, which will never happen at my house.

He also mentioned something i think he called Sentry, that he adds to keep the ph and alk from drifting.

Ok..Clarifier is not to be used as a weekly routine for cleaning..clarfier should only be used if your water looks cloudy and shocking /levels are ok....as for scale and stain should be used weekly as a combat against stains and scaling crusty stuff on your tub.

Never heard of that product so I can't comment on it!

P.S. sorry I was trying to do that thing where only sections of the post were there at the top and then I could comment to it in sections but it didn't work
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 04:06:58 pm by Backpains »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 10:48:17 am »
I've seen it on the shelf with all the other chemicals and was under them impression that uless I had scale and slime problems, it wasn't needed.

He said it breaks down a lot of stuff that comes from frequent sweating and bather load and makes the water much more manageable as well as the filters very clean with rinsing.  He also said in the long run, the build up is much less.  Heck, I dunno :-/

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:09:12 am »
There are stain and scale products such as LeisureTime Spa Defender that protects your pumps and heater against scale buildup and hardness problems.  This is cheap insurance, IMO.  Then there are enzyme products that help with body oils, etc.  I do not use one now, but have in the past and found them helpful.  Both these products are best used as a weekly or biweekly maintenance additive.  Clarifiers should be used only when needed.  I have never used a pH hold product, but have heard they cause more problems than they solve.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 11:32:14 am »
tony,

are you saying that clarifiers should only be used when the water gets cloudy, not as a weekly maintainance thing?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 11:49:28 am »
That has been my experience.  Overusing a clarifier can cause foaming issues and you really should not need one on a regular baisis.  Use an enzyme product as a regular maintenance product that will "eat" body oils and soaps if you like.  Use the clarifier when you can't clear a cloudy spa with sanitizer or shock (also be sure your water is balanced).  Also, if your water is somewhat clear but has a hazy look, a clarifier can sharpen it right up.  I just purchased my second bottle of clarifier in three years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 11:49:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42