What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First draining...  (Read 2902 times)

tkruel

• Master LSX
First draining...
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:16:28 am »
It's time for the first drain & clean.  I was wondering what some of the drain/clean/maintanence procedures are?  I've been reading that a filter change or cleaning, wiping the shell with windex, protecting the pillows with ?, & filling back up is what needs to be done.  Do the jets need to be taken out & cleaned as well?  I have a Master LSX if that helps. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

First draining...
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:16:28 am »

nicker

Re: First draining...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:00:05 am »
there are many topics on this if you search.     But all I do is drain the water and wipe the tub down (I use a spa clear) it gets rid of the scum line if any too.  I remove the pillows and hose them off aswell as the entire inside of the tub.  Make sure you also wipe the area that was behind the pillows as to remove any build up.   As for the jets unless you have any problems with any they are fine left alone.   Filters, I have two sets that I switch back and forth each month. If you only have one set, and depending on what type they are (disposible or not) Then this is when you should clean them in cartridge solution for 12 - 24 hours (depending on what the solution says).  I am not sure on the disposible filters if you have them.   Once my pillows are dry I use the same protectant I use on my cover on them.   I then fill the tub back up via the filter compartment (make sure you drain is closed) and once filled I put my filters and pillows back in place and fire it up and add some spa clear and dichlor and let fun for a cycle.  Put the cover back on and let it warm up.  I usually wait 24 hours and then test the water and make adjustments if needed.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:05:06 am »
There shouldn't be much you HAVE to do on a first change. To answer your specfic questions, did your tub start to feel slippery or can you run your finger across the seats and make a squeaking sound? If it isn't slippery and you have no water/scum line your probably ok. As for the jets, are any spinning type jets sticking? If the jets are adjustable are they hard to turn now? If not, dump, clean filters, and refill.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:19:49 am »
Thanks....what do you guys use to clean/protect the cover & pillows?  Armour all??

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:31:57 am »
So far, in over 2 years, I've used nothing.  Cover and pillows get regularly cleaned, but I'm not using any preservative stuff.  Cover and pillows still in great shape, but my spa isn't subject to much direct sunlight, and whatever my water regimen is it isn't degrading the pillows.

I've heard the Armor All isn't recommended, or that once you start using it you have to keep using it forever.  No experience with that, just repeating what I heard.

Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »
Many folks that do a lot of work on cars will attest to the ArmorAll comment.  It's a vinyl addiction.  :)  Once it starts being used, you do have to use it forever.

I've not used it either, but have read good things here about 303 for vinyl (covers and cushions). I'm sure a search for vinyl and cleaners would get a lot of info.  (I'm getting some 303 to use on my new spa.)
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42