What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals  (Read 2786 times)

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chemicals
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:46:07 pm »
Hi Everybody,
we got the tub filled up and running late yesterday afternoon. I have a hot springs tiger river Sumatra.
            My question is  We are using the silver Ion in the filter, the technician added 1 bottle of ph stabilizier, 1 capful of the dichlor, and 1/2 bottle of metal x. I am unclear about the chemical routine.
                  How often do I need to test the water, do I need ph + and ph- , in addition to the ph stabilizer ( which on the bottle it says stabilizes the ph from water change to water change)
               The technician said to add one capful of the dichlor every other week.
What about shocking and other things I have heard about chemicals.

I am so confused, Please help.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:46:07 pm »

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
Re: Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 03:06:07 pm »
SInce it is new to you I would recommend checking your water levels often.  'A capful every other week' is no where near enough in my opinion.  The silver Ion cartridge will reduce your dichlor usage but not that much.  Here is what I do...I have the HS Landmark and also use the Silver Ion cartridge. ...I test my water every other day if I have not used it.  I usually add a teaspoon or two of dichlor after use depending on how many bathers I have had in the tub. I usually never add more than 3 teaspoons after use unless I am shocking.  I shock once a week with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dichlor.  I do not do anything else.  It is really quite easy.  

Since it is a new tub for you, you will probably be using it alot.  It is very oimportant to keep your sanitation in line.  Add some dichlor after each use,  then check it the next morning.  You should still have a little residual dichlor.  If you dont have any residual chlorine, add a teaspoon right then if you are not using the tub right away or you are not using it until later that night.  Then after use that night, add a little more than you did the previous night to make sure you still have some residual chlorine the next morning.  If upon checking in the morning, you still have chlorine present then you are fine and do not need to do anything.  You will find a routine that is right for your tub and your usage relatively easily.  Shock once a week and you should be fine.

Also, rinse your filters often.  Maybe once a week until you get into a routine.  

If you 'lose' your water clarity, dont panic.  It has happened to everyone.  A little shock and a lot of filtering should bring it back or if worse comes to worse a drain and fill is not the end of the world.  Alot of people on here recommend a drain and fill after the first month for new users anyway since the tub is most likely getting heavy use and you are trying to get a chemical regimen down.  Just dont go crazy adding chemicals.  Less is more then wait for it to filter and recheck your levels.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 03:12:12 pm by Perk1 »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 03:16:17 pm »
I have the Tiger River Caspain.   The tub is equipped with a CD ozinator and the silver ion filter doo-hickey.

I add 1 teaspoon of dichlor per person after we use the tub and turn on the "Clean Cycle"

Once a week I shock with Renew.   (Run the Clean cycle and leave the cover open)

I test the water  every few days (2 X week )  and adjust PH, ALk and Calcium as necessary.  (see the back of the bottles in your chem kit).

I am backing away from using the Defender and Water Claifiers  that my dealer suggested  I use and  alternate every other week.   My game plan is to only use these products if the water gets cloudy and wont clear up in a few days after balanceing the tub and cleaning the filters.  

I wash the fiter once a month with filter cleaner and rinse the hell  out  of it.

I also rinse the filter  every other week with just clean water.  

And, yea, Chas law (or is it Wm's Rule) ?  You should probably count on changing the water out in a month.  
;D  Once you get into the swing of it, you then should only have to change the water every 3-4 months.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 03:40:05 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

spanewbie

• welcome to the center for the easily confused
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 03:20:53 pm »
Lest we not forget advice of Vermonter &  Northman !
http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm ::)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 05:17:15 pm »
I would stay with the Defender every other week.  It protects the equipment from scale.  Use clarifiers on an as needed basis.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 09:14:42 pm »
I agree w/Tony...from all that I've read and learned, the Spa Defender is necessary.  I add 2oz in my Optima every other week.  It will prevent scale.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:56:12 am »
Tony,  Calico,  

Thanks for the tip.    Anyone else have expereiece with Defender?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Lest we not forget advice of Vermonter &  Northman !
http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm ::)

Yes, for emphasis this is the place to start.

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 09:52:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42