What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Locking cover" requirements...  (Read 3982 times)

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
"Locking cover" requirements...
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:20:25 am »
I spent some time this weekend trying to find out what exactly is required to satisfy the 'ASTM' standards for locking hot tub/spa covers.  I searched some here, without much luck.  (Perhaps I searched incorrectly.. :) .)

On the web, I got a lot of 'strength of foam, vinyl', etc. But, what I was looking for as what constitutes a 'lock' that satisfies the letter of the regs (so as not to have a fence around the spa), and beyond that, what's good to have to be sure of really locking the cover on?

I'd rather not use the seat-belt type straps over the whole spa, but if that's the only way to be secure, so be it!

Beyond all that, I assume most covers come with the same little plastic locks my first spa came with, about the size of your thumb nail.  Do these really satisfy the law?  Should they satisfy us? :)

Thanks, all!
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

"Locking cover" requirements...
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:20:25 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: "Locking cover" requirements...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:23:13 am »
My cover has a lock on each holddown tab.  Once you click the tab in place, you can turn the lock with the provided key, and it will prevent someone from squeezinig the tabs to release the straps.
I suspect this is what you're asking about.

Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:29:23 am »
It is, but are those little plastic thingies really sufficient?  I suspect they satisfy the law/regulations, but do we all think they are really enough to keep determined kids out?

Or, put it another way, are they enough to satisfy a judge/jury that we have done enough to keep an 'attractive nuisance' away from children?  :)

(My first spa was on/in a deck, so I didn't have this issue.... )
--
Lee

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:25:48 am »
It is, but are those little plastic thingies really sufficient?  I suspect they satisfy the law/regulations, but do we all think they are really enough to keep determined kids out?

Or, put it another way, are they enough to satisfy a judge/jury that we have done enough to keep an 'attractive nuisance' away from children?  :)

(My first spa was on/in a deck, so I didn't have this issue.... )

The ASTM standard is specifically designed to prevent children UNDER the age of 5 from gaining access to the spa. The "little plastic thingies" are sufficient.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:05:08 am by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

nicker

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:30:17 am »
I am not sure on the regs either, I would think the same regs as a pool would apply.  our spa is up on our deck and actully if you have never been in our yard would wouldn't even know it was there.  Either way we have a 5ft fence with a locked gate at all times so if someone did come in they would be tresspassing.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 10:39:10 am »
Dr. Spa, thanks much!  I didn't know if it was to stop determined kids or just the fall in type.  I'll screw down the snaplocks and sleep better. :)
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 10:51:18 am »
The little plastic thingies are only useful to keep small children and the lazy out of the spa.  Don't expect more than that.  The locks can be turned with a screwdriver, or anything that will fit in the key slot.  
Or the plastic tabs can be removed from the spa using a screwdriver, or the cover straps can be cut for that matter.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:06 am »

The ASTM standard is specifically designed to prevent children UNDER the age of 5 from gaining access to the spa. The "little plastic thingies" are sufficient.

A guy actually complained one time that the cover locks were cheaply made as his teenager was able to easily open them with a screwdriver. I politely responded that the locks were there to keep small children out and not teenagers with hand tools. I think he then called Budweiser to let them know their bottle caps were too easy for his son to remove.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 12:02:36 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Spatech tuo!!!!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 12:25:15 pm »
Heh.  That was really my point.  Were they supposed to be/did they have to be 'locks' along the lines of 'child proof' bottles (and let's not go off on how no one can open them... :)  ) or are they supposed to be *locks* with a padlock or whatever.

If the standard is that they are supposed to be so a 5-year old can't pick up the cover and fall in, I think we're covered (er, no pun intended, really...).
--
Lee

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 01:55:27 pm »
My spa has a little plastic latch looking thing that kinda reminds me of the latch on my backpack I use for hunting...but it has a funny little key that you lock it with

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 02:14:04 pm »
Heh.  That was really my point.  Were they supposed to be/did they have to be 'locks' along the lines of 'child proof' bottles (and let's not go off on how no one can open them... :)  ) or are they supposed to be *locks* with a padlock or whatever.

If the standard is that they are supposed to be so a 5-year old can't pick up the cover and fall in, I think we're covered (er, no pun intended, really...).

I think that they're just there to satisfy some law or other.  "Yeah, covers lock".  
Look at fences.  They are required around some pools and maybe even spas, but they don't prevent people from climbing over.  

Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 02:14:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42