What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: wet test question/ dealer  (Read 6959 times)

kel444

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wet test question/ dealer
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi All...
The dealer I'm dealing with seems great but they only have two hot tubs to test. Here is my question...I'm interested in the HS vanguard but they only have the HS sovereign to wet test. When I asked him about testing the vanguard he said that was not possible that they only have the sovereign and that it would be a similar feel. Is this true? What should I do in this case? I did wet test the sovereign and liked it however not the lounge which is ok cuz the vanguard does not have the lounge. Any help would be appreciated!
Lor

Hot Tub Forum

wet test question/ dealer
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:44:19 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: wet test question/ dealer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 01:04:52 pm »
that it would be a similar feel

Similar? Yes, exact?  I'll let the HS owners and dealers decide this, but this is a common scenario for shoppers. At my dealer, they had a model that was identical in layout, size, and depths, but was a 3 pump model vs 2 two pump model. The dealer did give a detailed explanation of the differences and let us decide its merit.  He was willing to fill the other model on the weekend and let us come back, but we bought without testing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:05:48 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 01:37:41 pm »
I don't understand how a dealer can only have one or two spas available for wet testing.  I keep at least 8 ready to go and we will fill any spa that someone wants to try.  We are in business to sell spas and getting people in the water is the biggest selling tool we have.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Ritz

• Vanguard 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:01:51 pm »
The Vanguard is a few inches deeper than the Sovereign - that may be a big deal for you.  I found the 38" tubs too deep (my husband loved them), but the Vanguard at 36" was just right.  Ideally you can wet test the 2 tubs at the same time to make sure you're getting the right fit.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 02:09:18 pm »
The jets will probably feel the similar when you're looking at 2 spas in the same series that are similarly sized/powered but the feel of the seating will be different. Fortunately you're not looking to get a lounge. Getting a feel for how a lounge fits can really only be seen on the exact model you're looking for. Its a tough 1 as the showrooms I deal with all have 3 or so wet spas only which seems to be fairly normal from what I see.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 02:38:27 pm »
If he only has a few tubs in his showroom, ask him if he has a customer that would be willing to let you wet test who already owns the tub you want.

My dealer did this back in 1999 and not only did I get to wet test the tub I wanted, but the customer he previously delivered the tub to gave me pointers and feedback.

Just a thought...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 03:14:54 pm »
I'm having this same dilemma.  I just got a call from the Sundance dealer whom we dealt with when we thought we were going to get the Cameo.  She just called to see if we had made a decision.  I told her our budget had decreased and we talked about alternative options.

The only tub we could wet test is the Optima.  We loved that and figured we would love the Cameo also.  Well, now she is suggesting the Altamar, Marin, & Caprio but we can't wet test any of them.  She said they aren't set-up with multiple electrical.  I suggested they might want to rethink that.  This dealer is a custom pool builder so maybe the spas are a side thing....great dealership but could be even better with multiple tubs to wet test.

This is the pricing I got, good or high?

Altamar w/o stereo $7900
Marin w/o stereo $7400
Caprio $5900
Palermo (700 series) $6297
2005 Marquis Epic

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 04:30:30 pm »
I don't understand how a dealer can only have one or two spas available for wet testing.  I keep at least 8 ready to go and we will fill any spa that someone wants to try.  We are in business to sell spas and getting people in the water is the biggest selling tool we have.

Terminator

It's not easy but it can be done. We have two wet models on the floor and two dry ones. I have the top of the Coleman line in my backyard and we usually start there. If they are in need of experiencing more models then we have certain customers that allow us to use their tubs with some advance notice.

Sometimes it takes a lot of scheduling and running around town but if it results in the perfect fit, it's worth it.

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:46:18 pm »
We carry a full line of 12 different models with 2 wet spas.  I have in the past given my comments about wet spas and how many are practical for adealer to maintain in one store.  We have two store and 4 different models in water that are the most popular sellers.  

If someone wants to water test something else we will give it consideration.  It may take a day or so to move it into place and filler up.  I believe Drewstar suggested that maybe dealers should have one holding tank and put these things on wheels to move them in and around like musical chairs so that everything can be available to be water tested by whomever is interested in whichever model.  i like the idea, but that is a pretty tuff bill to fill.

It would be nice to have 8 spas in water and I know some HS dealers have multiple spas filled and ready to wet test.  I have been told by customers they are uncomfortable to sit in dry and their shells (the endural) is white, and they don't want a lot of foot traffic in them so they keep them wet and available to sit in wet but not dry. ;)

It appears every dealer has a different point of view in trying to find the perfect way to run his business.  Given the fact that everyone here strongly recommends wet test, and I agree with the idea, there will be a lot of dealers moving spas around that won't sell them because the shopper is only going to by from one dealer but, wants to test them all. :o

Wow, what would that do to my electric bill if I had all 12 models wet and a second one dry to sit in in both stores.  Let's say you've been told a buck a day for electric, that would be $30x12x2stores = $720 just for demo spas, add that to my current electric bill $862 just for just one store and the other $740, that would be a $2,322 monthy electrical bill per month and everybody want a cheaper price with free service. ::)

As for pricing, all of our prices would be much higher than you have been quoted but would include several additional extras such as coverlifter, step, ozone, delivery, full size chemicals, at site orientation.  We quote the Altimar at $8,195 the Marin at $7,895 which indicates the prices indicated are good prices but what do they include. ???

Today, and for a limited time only, if you would like to buy the Altimar at $1,000 less, I would have you sit down and write your check in full and deliver it.  Are you in my area? ???

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 06:07:21 pm »
You know when I wet tested all of the spas that I did

Bullfrog didn't have the 331 set up (of course they didn't even have one on the floor) I had to test the 461 and it was like a pool to me! i floated out of every seat! Now

HS/Caldera had the Kauai and the Jetsetter (which btw I truly loved but the jetsetter was a little smalll I felt cramped and the kauai was wonderful I was going with that one if I couldn't find any more I liked)

At Cal Spas, they had ONE model set up and it wasn't even close to thier 2-3 person spa I didn't like it either just didn't have enough umph in the jets for me.

When I went to Coleman, Jim my dealer personallly filled the 461 (he only had the 471 filled) the day before and it was heated to a nice 100 degrees, ready to go! I got to set in the 471 and I really liked it but, it wasn't in my price range! Soooo..there's my testing tale for all to see  ;D  ::)  :P

BP

P.S. I was going to wet test a Artesian Santa Cruz and they told me they didn't have a santa cruz on the floor all they had was the topaz which might I add is in a different class. So I arranged to wet test the Topaz, and the day before I was to wet test the lady informed me that they sold that one and didn't have another one on the floor but I could wet test one of their larger models and still get the jest of what the Santa Cruz was like. I wasn't very impressed with that idea so I cancelled.

P.S.S with the exception of HS in Billings..every one of the other dealers have called to see if I've chosen a tub yet.

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 06:45:27 pm »
We don't have every model wet - a holding tank would be impractical - we use a submersible pump to pump the water into the tub you want to test and take the electric hookup and switch that too, voila! the model you want wet is wet - after you leave we reverse the procedure and our showroom is back to status quo. Not that tough to do, but if your dealer is unwilling to go the extra mile??????
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 06:56:29 pm »
I was in the similar situation with the Vista and the Sovereign.   My research said that the Envoy would be the perfect spa.  The dealer never offered to fill it but gave me the "it's in between the two" line.

Called other HS dealers and found 2 others that had the Envoy filled.  Made a short trip and ended up saving $700 in the process.

My research was right and it was not really "in between the two" - it had it's own feel.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 09:03:20 pm »

It would be nice to have 8 spas in water and I know some HS dealers have multiple spas filled and ready to wet test.  I have been told by customers they are uncomfortable to sit in dry and their shells (the endural) is white, and they don't want a lot of foot traffic in them so they keep them wet and available to sit in wet but not dry. ;)

Wow, what would that do to my electric bill if I had all 12 models wet and a second one dry to sit in in both stores.  Let's say you've been told a buck a day for electric, that would be $30x12x2stores = $720 just for demo spas, add that to my current electric bill $862 just for just one store and the other $740, that would be a $2,322 monthy electrical bill per month and everybody want a cheaper price with free service. ::)

I realize you were just kidding about the Endurol shell getting dirty (most everybody knows it is the easiest shell in the world to clean as well as the most durable), and I let people get in the dry spas with their shoes on.  Heck, I sometimes get up on the side of the spa and jump down into the bottom to show how strong the shell is (I weigh 250#).  I even scuff them up with my shoes and scratch on them with quarters to show customers how tough they really are and how easy they are to clean. ;D

I have 2 wet spas in the mood room, 2 wet spas on the showroom floor, and all 5 spas on the deck are wet.  Electric costs are simply a part of displaying the spas properly and helps us sell a lot more spas than the other guys around here.  It's a miniscule expense compared to the end result, more spa sales.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 10:08:59 pm »

I realize you were just kidding about the Endurol shell getting dirty (most everybody knows it is the easiest shell in the world to clean as well as the most durable), and I let people get in the dry spas with their shoes on.  Heck, I sometimes get up on the side of the spa and jump down into the bottom to show how strong the shell is (I weigh 250#).  I even scuff them up with my shoes and scratch on them with quarters to show customers how tough they really are and how easy they are to clean. ;D

I have 2 wet spas in the mood room, 2 wet spas on the showroom floor, and all 5 spas on the deck are wet.  Electric costs are simply a part of displaying the spas properly and helps us sell a lot more spas than the other guys around here.  It's a miniscule expense compared to the end result, more spa sales.

Terminator

I don't disagree with you in any way.  I have watched such similar demonstrations and listened to the consumer comments as they walked away.  I even watched a cal spa sales man do the same thing and put his foot through the acrylic side wall of the spa.  As a matter of fact, the Hot Springs guy broke a baseball bat on the edge of his spa and the splinters actually injured a passing showgoer who was taken to the hospital.  Never did find out the outcome, but I did hear someone got sued.

The cost of eletric is always a business incidental, but my point was not received or understood.  I do in fact cater to consumer whim's and interest's as well, and sell a fair number of spas.  298 spas actually in a good year and this is not one of those.  Whereas, I believe the average spa store sells between 45 to 60 spas a year.  But, based on consumer expectations, would you want one of every model you display wet and one dry? ???  Do you have the space to accomodate that? ???
This is about what is practical and what is expected.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 01:14:51 pm »
Lets not forget that along with the extra electricity and water costs, are the extra hours involved with wet testing. Most customers are working from 9 to 5, so evening appointments are a way of life for us. So are weekends (Sunday in my case)

This is what we do, and I've lost very few spa deals by going the extra mile to make sure my customers have the spa that fits everyone in the family.

If after a round of wet testing the customer tells me they just fit better in brand-x, then I'll be the first one to tell them thats the sps for you.

The worst call a dealer can get is the morning after the whole family sits in the new tub for the first time together and it doesn't fit. Or the jet pressure isn't what we thought. Or it's too big or not big enough ect.

Taking the extra time and expence and pushing wet tests, makes happy customers, better dealer/customer relationships (breaks down a lot of barriers when I've seen you in a swimming suit, lol) and reduces buyer remorse.

I agree, it's the cost of the business we're in.  And I think it's necessary to stay in business.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:16:54 pm by spahappy »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 01:14:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42