What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Draining in the dead cold....  (Read 9308 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Draining in the dead cold....
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 02:20:01 pm »
I suppose another possibility would be do a drain while adding fresh water at the same time, keeping the water level high enough to feed the heater, and eventually you'd cycle the water clean, or clean enough.  Not terribly efficient, though.  And the thought of messing around like that in below zero temps?  No thanks.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 02:20:01 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 02:55:51 pm »
In Breckenridge CO we maintain ruffly 100 + spas on a weekly basis.  We drain and fill spas more in the winter then the summer.  The reason is more people are useing the spa.  Usually 10-20 people renting a house for the week.  At the end of there stay the tubs get pretty bad.  

We use a sump pump to drain the spa (takes 15 mins).  Clean the filter/filters, clean the shell.  Then fill the spa right after.  We have never incured a problem.  However make sure you fill the spa right after you drain the tub.  

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

See now this was the opinion that I was looking for....I mean ok..I use my tub alot more than anyone else on this board (or at least I think I do) and I need to know if it's going to be detremential to my spa to drain and refill in the winter if I HAVE to...this is not saying I will have to...remember gang I along with many others here on this board are NEWBIES!!! We will and have screwed up our chemestry and had to drain and refill just some prefer not to let you all know when they screw up. I was just mearly asking if I had to how would this affect my tub..do I need to take any precautions.

P.S. I'm sorry if I got or get a little snippity with anyone or hurt any feelings today..my back is really giving me fits and it's to damned hot to go out and soak!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:57:11 pm by Backpains »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 03:51:03 pm »
At -5 degrees that water is going to freeze almost instantly once you drain it.  Also, how long does it take you to fill the spa?  By the time the tub is ready to be started, lines will be frozen.

My advice/opinion would be to call your local dealer and ask them to do it.  If they wouldn't do it, then you shouldn't do it.  If they would do it, let them take the liability.  It will be worth the money to not have to worry about it.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 04:10:59 pm »

See now this was the opinion that I was looking for....I mean ok..I use my tub alot more than anyone else on this board (or at least I think I do) and I need to know if it's going to be detremential to my spa to drain and refill in the winter if I HAVE to...this is not saying I will have to...remember gang I along with many others here on this board are NEWBIES!!! We will and have screwed up our chemestry and had to drain and refill just some prefer not to let you all know when they screw up. I was just mearly asking if I had to how would this affect my tub..do I need to take any precautions.

P.S. I'm sorry if I got or get a little snippity with anyone or hurt any feelings today..my back is really giving me fits and it's to damned hot to go out and soak!

I find it amusing (and a wee bit annoying) that you asked for opinions and advice on what WE DO to our spas in the winter, then upon getting this information, cast it aside until you get told what you wanted to hear in the first place.  Then berate us for giving you wrong opinions?   ::)

Personally, you can keep your apology.  Using the fact that you were in pain as an excuse to be rude to those who were only trying to help you gets old.

I applogize if this hurts your feelings.  
Brewman
Brewman

Backpains

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 04:49:32 pm »

I find it amusing (and a wee bit annoying) that you asked for opinions and advice on what WE DO to our spas in the winter, then upon getting this information, cast it aside until you get told what you wanted to hear in the first place.  Then berate us for giving you wrong opinions?   ::)

Personally, you can keep your apology.  Using the fact that you were in pain as an excuse to be rude to those who were only trying to help you gets old.

I applogize if this hurts your feelings.  
Brewman

I was not trying to berate, annoy, tick off, anger, ormake anyone feel badlt brewman. I won't appoligize to those who have made me feel like an idiot for asking simple questions and getting answers that are assumationsof how I'm caring for my tub or what I use for a sanitizer. You've been nothing but nice up until now brewman and for that I do feel bad that what I've said has upset you, for this I am sorry.

But, the answer still was what I was looking for, I wanted to know from someone who has used their tub alot during the winter and has had temps that were in the single digits (you have to realize that usually during the winters here the temps stay in the single digits) how they drained their tubs if they needed to.  I'm not saying that gee it's winter here and I'm going to drain my tub when it's -5 below cause I refuse to do that, I was saying and trying to get across that I wanted to know this info just in case!

Now the comment that I can keep my appoligy and that I USE my pain level as an excuse to be rude to people...do you know this to be a fact brewman? Have I been rude before??? Because I don't mean to and if you were in as much pain as I am...you'd be a little unnerved about things too. I don't think that it's nice to say things like this. Sorry you can just keep your attitude and your comments to yourself if you don't like what I say..then just tell me to go away and I will!

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 05:01:29 pm »
BP I am also a newby.  However I would like to suggest that a little common sense should be given to your problem.  I also live in a northern climate (ND) that is  substantially further north than you and we always have days over 40 degrees in the coldest part of winter which is usually January and February.  Based upon this I think it would be obvious that you decide to drain the tub based upon the forcast and start at around 11 am giving you the warmest part of the day to drain and re-fill. I would also suggest a sump pump in addttion to using the drain plug.  My tub holds about 600 gallons of water and can be drained in 30 minutes with a sump pump alone.  I can refill my tub using a standard 5/8" garden hose in 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Be sure to have your garden hose directly connected to your outdoor spigot without a valve or anything that would reduce the interior dimensions of the hose and reduce your flow.  I would also have to think that once the water is circulating and heating the chance of having a freeze up is minimal.  I keep a 100' of hose in my heated garage all year round in the event we get a day when we can wash the car(s) and I wob't have to worry about a stiff garden hose.  I personally have no fear of dumping my tub this winter!  Good luck!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 05:07:52 pm »
Im gonna have to agree with Brewman here.  I found it funny that as soon as you heard that someone did drain a tub in the winter, that they had a valid opinion.

Also,

"Because I don't mean to and if you were in as much pain as I am...you'd be a little unnerved about things too."

and

"P.S. I'm sorry if I got or get a little snippity with anyone or hurt any feelings today..my back is really giving me fits and it's to d**ned hot to go out and soak!"

seem like excuses.  They may be valid, but they still seem like excuses.  The best analagy for the responses you received is like making sure that the little kid that is looking at the hot pan will not touch it.  Make SURE they know the consequences of their actions and that they should avoid it at all costs.  Although it seems like people were being rough on you, they/I wanted to make sure you got the point that draining the spa in the winter is a risky situation.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 05:34:08 pm »
Not to worry Backpains, your tub is inside for one, and we sell and fill new tubs out here in western N.D. all winter long. We can't always pick and choose what the weather will be like on those days. We've never had a problem with a fresh fill freezing up.

Do your drain and refill early in the day. Purcahse a little in-car 900 watt car heater. That way if something happens like an air lock, you can take a panel off and put the heater in there and it will maintain you spa water above freezing until your dealer can get out there from Montana to service you. Not that this is something for you to worry about, (we've had very few air locks on Colemans in the past,) but consider the in-car heater kind of like an insurance since your dealer is not right in the area where you live.

Oh don't stay lurking for too long because you add valuable and very real questions and experiences to the board. Thats what this forum is all about.

Spahappy :D

spahappy

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 05:56:19 pm »
Sorry to post two times in a row but I just read another one of your posts Backpains and realized that you don't have an ozinator installed on your 461.

I know there are two sides and two different opinions on ozinators and I don't want to start that whole business going again.

I beleive in ozone and we have it installed in every tub we sell, no choice, it's a company policy. My ozone went out on my old Coleman spa and I noticed the difference in not only my water quality but the amount of sanitizer that was required.

Perhaps next time your dealer is in the area you can have him install an ozone system on your spa. It's more money on the front side but in the end I feel it will save you on chems and water changes.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions on any issues with your Coleman I'd be happy to help if I can.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 06:06:01 pm »
I beleive in ozone and we have it installed in every tub we sell, no choice, it's a company policy.

Excellent advice in my opinion but I'd add that I think the extra cost to go witha  good CD ozone is also key (I'm not a big fan of the UV type).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spahappy

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 06:10:38 pm »
Why thank you, that means a lot comming from you ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 06:11:31 pm by spahappy »

Backpains

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 06:13:37 pm »
Thank you spahappy, I appreciate your honest answers. If I have to drain the hot tub I have one of those little heaters that go on a propane tank, and also my hot tub is inside an enclosed area so I don't feel this is going to be a problem, if I have to I'll have hubby carry either buckets of hot water to the tub or hook another line straight from the kitchen sink to heat the water enough that it won't freeze up. I want to get an ozonator on the Coleman, it's just coming up with the fundage to get it put on, that will come in time along with about forty other things that need fixed (ie. the roof is leaking, the sinks need updated and I truly would like central air but that ain't coming for at least 24 months)  Anyway.....I'm to tired and in to much pain to argue any longer with any of you so I'll just go to the shadows and lurk for awhile.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 10:57:09 pm »
Hang in there Backpains hope you feel better soon

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 08:09:57 am »
My "dealer" had us adding all kinds of junk to the tub, it was some regime from Leisure Time and every other day you are dumping a dif chem in there.  The only time I have had water trouble was in following that advice.  We drained the tub, then followed the Vermonter/Northman routine on rhtubs and I've not ever had a water issue again.  KISS...keep it simple, stupid...has worked great for us.  No scum line, no cloudy water, no odors, no foam.  I add only dichlor, a bit of pH up every 8-10 days (dichlor use will drag the pH down some over time) Spa defender every other week and maybe once a month a splash of clarifier.  Thats it.  

I'm not saying you are adding too much stuff, but the "dealer" doesnt always know exactly whats best for you.   As far you using your tub 5-6times more than normal, I dont get that comment really.  I have a family of 5: 3 teen boys and us parents.  We dont get in tub together...so there are like 4 separate trips to the tub in a single day, each lasting at least 30-45min.  Wouldnt that be the same as you yourself using the tub 3-5x daily?  

I will say that rinsing swimsuits and being careful not to introduce all kinds of sunscreens , body lotions and potions and hair products will help alot in keeping water clean and clear.  

Please dont get defensive when others are just offering you their opinions and advice.  Good luck to you this winter.    

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 08:54:01 am »
Backpains,

I only have a bit more experiance than you do and have only gone through on winter in northern Wisconsin. And it get's pretty cold here too when the Alberta Clipper comes through. I changed my water on Halloween day I did not change it until mid May. I can hear some people now "yuk". Well, I can tell you it was NOT a problem. My water was excellent ! I was rinsing my filters weekly and every 2 months I would swap the filters out with a fresh clean set of filters. I use Soft Soak and only put 6oz of chemicals in a week. I have my water tested by my dealer about every 3 to 4 weeks.  I only add what I am instructed to do by my dealer.

I do not use my hot tub as much as you do but look at the distance of time I went through. Since I learned the hard way with a little of this and a little of that I was changing my water every 4 to 8 weeks. My current batch of water has been in my hot tub since mid May and zero and I mean zero water chemical problems.

I agree with all of the advice you have received. If you feel you must change your water in the depth of winter. Get an expert opionon on the condition of your water first. You just might find out you can hold off for a thawing spell to come around.

If you feel you must change your water in -5 temps and things don't go as planned. Well I will just leave it at this. Don't buy yourself any trouble. And last of all what if you slip and fall out side and no one is around to help you. Think about it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 08:54:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42