What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Draining in the dead cold....  (Read 9310 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Draining in the dead cold....
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:08:18 pm »
of winter!? are you kidding me? This is NOT going to be fun is it? Ok....so hubby is thinking that maybe he night hook the hose up to the sink in the kitchen and try to run some warm water into the tub, but the problem is......the hot water heater will never keep up.

So...here's my question...what is all of you that have had your tubs for a winter or two opinion on this? How do you all deal with the "tub that needs drained in -5 temps?"

Hot Tub Forum

Draining in the dead cold....
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:08:18 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Draining in the dead cold....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:01:55 pm »
I have never drained during winter.  I change the water at the end of November or early December and then again in early April.  I top off with a five gallon bucket out of the kitchen sink on a weekly basis because in the NE, evaporation is greater during winter.  I find summer use is dirtier use...lots of teens in and out, more bathing suits, etc.  Winter, for me, is cleaner...never had a problem.

Michelle

• He said "trust me!" so I married him.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 09:23:55 pm »
Okay BP, it was 95 today, we don't want to think about shoveling the driveway or sitting on that cold car seat yet.  I do look forward to enjoying my tub for the first winter.  I guess the evaporation issue will be a bit of a pain though.  I have a friend who keeps a two gallon pail near the door a dumps some in every two or three days in the winter.  Later

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:44:58 pm »
I'll drain end of November, or thebeginning of Decemeber then again March or April.  I doubt if my kids will use it much in the winter.  Should be easy to keep the water clean then.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 09:49:12 pm »
Even in WY you have days in the winter that are 40 or above. I just wait for one of those and go to it. The other thing you can do is just do a partial drain and fill...

BTW, be sure to forward pictures on days like that to Chas so that he can share the cold vicariously! ;) ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:54:15 pm »
Dont' even think of draining your spa when it's that cold.
You'll risk freezing the water in the plumbing lines, and other nasty things like that.
You won't like the damage frozen water will do to your spa.  
I change my water as late into October or November (40 degrees) as I can get away with, then hope for the best until early March.
I think Bill does partial water changes in the winter, and that seems to be a pretty good alternative.
But we do okay going the winter on one water change.  
We end up adding a lot more make up water in the winter anyway- I think evaporation takes more in the drier winter air.
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 08:50:09 am »
I don't really need to answer, but when has that stopped me?  I would combine most of the post so far, and add that during the cold months, if we get a brief period where the temps go above 32 I do partial water changes. I can easily drain off 100 gallons which I can do quickly without turning off the power.  I really feel this helps me get through the 3-4 months of really cold weather.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 11:55:22 am »
Ok...first off...remember folks I AM using my tub alot more than ya'll....and in the winter it will be worse since my hips and knees chime in with pain also......second off it NEVER gets above 40 degress in the winter around here maybe 30 but never 40 or better! Thirdly....if I change water in Dec..then wait until april to change my water will be Horendous!!! think about it folks..I use my tub 4-5 times a day! so....where is your logic now?

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 12:09:38 pm »
Your only choice may be partial water changes on every week.  Fill with hot water the best you can to keep the temps up.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 12:10:51 pm »
Power down and totally drain your spa in sub zero temperatures at your risk.  At those temps, water will freeze very quickly.
Brewman
Brewman

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 12:10:56 pm »
I've used my tub that often too, many times -  and never had a problem - I just made sure that I was clean getting in.  At the end of the day I would add dichlor.  I'm not sure why your water would be so bad just because you use it more often.  Wouldn't you using your tub several times a day be the same as several people using it once a day???  Lots of people do that and don't have the problems you're having.    Sounds to me - and this is just my opinion - like you're putting too much stuff in your water unnecessarily and causing problems.  A hot tub shouldn't be work - it should be something to enjoy.  And they really don't take much work to keep them sparkling.

Susan

Backpains

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 01:32:37 pm »
Ok..lets make sure you all understand this...I don't put to many chems in my hot tub..in fact I'm just adding what the dealer told me to add! I do my bromine concentrate as needed basis and my pucks once every 7 days I throw in 2-3 pucks into the feeder. I've stopped adding the clarifier so that should help..and my levels are just where they need to be. Yes I do realize that it's hot temps but....winter isn't to far away and I will indead have to deal with this problem very soon. But, I've decided after reading all these posts that I'm not going to ask an opinion from some of you any longer...I seem to be getting the same response...which is....."Stop adding so many chemicals to the tub"  and my personal favorite "stop adding Bromine and switch to dichlor"

I just thought it would be interesting to see what the responses I would get from this question but apparently it seems that some of you would just like to critisize my actions with every chem I add. So..I've decided that maybe it's best that I stay in the background and just lurk from now on and not make anymore "Stupid" comments or questions!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 02:07:12 pm »
So...here's my question...what is all of you that have had your tubs for a winter or two opinion on this? How do you all deal with the "tub that needs drained in -5 temps?"

Backpains-
You asked for advice and OPINIONS and you got it.  

The only other alternatives I can think of are moving your spa indoors, thereby negating the winter temperature problem, or erecting a plastic construction shield around your spa, and blasting enough heat into it to keep the air around your spa warm enough to do a sub zero water change.   Either of those ideas useful to you?  Other than that, I'm tapped out.

When you drain your spa you have to shut off the power or you'll burn out your heater.  Without the heater, the only thing keeping your spa from freezing is the heat in the large mass of water.  Loose that heat by draining that water, and the water remaining in the plumbing could freeze very quickly.  Frozen water expands with great force, cracking lines, pipes, pumps, etc.....   Not worth the risk unless it's an emergency, IMHO.  

Instead of dealing with that risk, most of us choose to do what we've already told you.  

If you can think of something better, please share.

Brewman.

Brewman

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 02:08:13 pm »
In Breckenridge CO we maintain ruffly 100 + spas on a weekly basis.  We drain and fill spas more in the winter then the summer.  The reason is more people are useing the spa.  Usually 10-20 people renting a house for the week.  At the end of there stay the tubs get pretty bad.  

We use a sump pump to drain the spa (takes 15 mins).  Clean the filter/filters, clean the shell.  Then fill the spa right after.  We have never incured a problem.  However make sure you fill the spa right after you drain the tub.  

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »
and my personal favorite "stop adding Bromine and switch to dichlor"

That's my favorite too! ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42