What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foundation material  (Read 2499 times)

SpaNY

Foundation material
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:59:28 am »
I'm looking for input on a foundation for a new spa. I don't want to put in a concrete pad. What I was think of doing was digging out about 10 - 12 inches of soil and them putting in crusherd tone/sand combination and then a layer of 16" x 16" x 1/2" concrete blocks. Does anyone have an opinion on this of any other suggestions? Apprecaite it!

Hot Tub Forum

Foundation material
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:59:28 am »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: Foundation material
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 11:12:21 am »
First, make sure you pick a tub.  Some of the larger tubs have restrictions on what kind of bases they can be placed on.

I own a HS grandee and the dealer really pushed either the concrete pad or a reenforced deck. Due to its weight when filled, this tub couldn't be shimmed if the base wasn't level.

But your manufacturer/warranty/dealer will probably tell you if there is a specific type of foundation that won't be covered.

I put in a patio in my backyard and can tell you that an appropriately sized concrete slab is less work (it's much easier to level concete, as it is a liquid).  Assuming you have mixed concrete delivered...

Aside from that, if you go with the patio concept just make sure you tamp the heck out of the ground, the crushed stone and sand, and the concrete pavers. The danger is that over time a loose or untamped area will compress and you've got a tilting spa.  A tilting spa is easy to notice because of the waterline...

Even manufacturers (like, I believe, Arctic) who don't care what type of surface you use still stipulate that it must be a stable surface.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 11:13:10 am »
Pavers are what I use on a sand base.  This method is fine in Florida where I live.  You should ask your dealer if pavers are OK where you are before proceding, though, as there may be problems if the pavers were to shift when it freezes.  If you think about it, any movement of your base underneath the spa, due to climatic change, could cause damage.  

Regards,

Bill

SpaNY

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 01:06:51 pm »
I will most likely putting a 7' x 7' ish spa on it, like a Sundance ultimar or a Artesian Opal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 01:33:15 pm »
Sundance, for one, does not insist on concrete, just that the spa be adequately supported, and that any damage done by a faulty base isn't fixed under the warranty.  
Another possibility would be a spa pad of some type.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 01:33:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42