What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: GFCI disconnect panel placement?  (Read 16576 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: GFCI disconnect panel placement?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 05:39:24 pm »
Yeah, that's about the short of it.  
Whatever they rule is the rule.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 05:39:24 pm »

tootall

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 06:03:55 pm »
the national electrical code 680.22  states a diconnecting means must be no closer than 5 feet and no further than ten feet,now your local municipality may modify this. this distance is to be  measured from the side wall ,at the shortest distance.also .code 680.41 states a disconnect shall be not less than 5 feet and within sight of the spa.this requirement shall not apply to single family dwellings.
    so i hope this clarifed  everything.i would also suggest you use a licensed electrician.if you fail at this task it may kill you or a loved one.......  :o

I agree I am going to an pro to do my wiring I do not want to turn my spa in to a stew pot. :o

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 08:34:18 am »
I did my own wiring, but it wasn't my first wiring project, and for a non pro, I'm pretty familiar with the stuff.  
But I would never recommend a hot tub for a first project.  If you do choose to DIY, for sure get the proper permits and inspections.
Brewman
Brewman

CraigW

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 04:26:17 pm »
Debbie -

Where in MD are you? It actually is the county or city that dictates the code to follow, not the state. A municipality may follow any of the different years of NEC code, modify it as they see fit, etc. In Anne Arundel when my tub was installed they followed an older version of NEC code. I believe now they instituted 2002 code, which says minimum 5 feet, within sight, but also includes the requirement for a GFCI outlet within a certain distance (don't remember how far). May have the years wrong, but you get the idea. Bottom line, call the county or city and ask them, they will be the ones issuing the permit/inspecting/etc.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 04:26:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42