What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagra?  (Read 4596 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Caldera Niagra?
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:22:38 am »
Anyone have experience with Caldera products?  I know they are made by Watkins, but where do they fall into theat product line?  I actually have a HS Vanguard ordered to be delivered next week.  But I just saw a 1 yr old Caldera Niagra for sale (someone is moving) that would end up costing me a little less than half of the Vanguard.  Thoughts??

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagra?
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:22:38 am »

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
Re: Caldera Niagra?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:08:02 am »
mxw

I purchased my Niagara in Nov 2004 and am extremely happy with it.  I have had a few minor issues (air valve controls coming out of alignment), but nothing major to speak of.

By being the 2nd owner, you will lose the remaining 4 years of warranty on that tub.  If you are going to get the Niagara for ~$4000 - $4500 dollars, I would seriously consider (providing the original owner has been gentle with the tub in its first year).  Even a major repair probably would be a drop in the bucket compared to the $4000 you might save.  That being said, watch someone chime in with a horror story to persuade you (and me if I was in your shoes) otherwise.

Have you wet tested the Niagara to see if it agrees with you?  I would rather spend $8-9 k on a tub I like vs 1/2 of that on a tub I hate.  Wet test if you are seriously considering!

My 2 pennies...

Jeff

mxw128

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 01:41:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  The lack of a wet test in the Caldera is definately a problem.  (we were surprised that some of the features that we thought we would love, we hated when we did the wet tests... that's how we ended up in the Vanguard....)  

I'll need to pull the trigger on this one quick if I'm going to do it.  They just started advertising the Caldera and they will be having a yard sale tomorrow (with some folks already coming to look at the tub..) Our HS dealer has worked with me a bit on the HS prices. (Ill end up saving a net of around $3400 if I back out of the deal and get the caldera after I pay for its delivery and loss of HS deposit etc)

I think I agree that I'd rather pay more for a tub that I am comfortable in rather than one that doesn't fit me as well.  At this point the caldera is a gamble.  I'm going to wear my suit when I go look this afternoon and if it loks good, ask for a quick wet  test....

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 01:46:49 pm »
Careful...check your yellow pages for local spa service technicians. You don't wanna be out of anybody's service range

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:48:57 pm »
How much is she asking for the Caldera?

How much money will you lose on the Deposit?

07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:31:42 pm »
Ill end up saving a net of around $3400 if I back out of the deal and get the caldera after I pay for its delivery and loss of HS deposit etc

That sounds like a decent deal on the used tub BUT also factor in the fact that while one will be $3400 cheaper it will not have a warranty so a chunk of that savings goes away right there.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 02:55:54 pm »
There are many Happy Caldera Owners here....I liked the tub and actually thought it was for me....Put a deposit down on one before I wet tested .... Before making my deal final I had the opportunity to wet test....After doing so I passed on the spa because of the jets they use were small and left me very itchy....It may be a great spa for you but wet testing if at all possible is a must .....in my case, had the Caldera  worked for me I would have never become a dealer ......lol...You never know what a wet test may lead you to.... ;)

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 05:39:58 pm »
Mxw,
All I can say is that both spas are awesome, for the right person. For me, I fit better in the Niagara and the Grandee because I am tall. If you are comfortable in the Vanguard, there is a good chance that the Niagara may not be nearly as comfortable for you. But as far as overall quality, you really can't go wrong with Caldera. I would definately wet test and if it fits you good, it might really be worth it for the $3,400. I think it would be very hard with either spa to rack up $3,400 in repairs unless you really abuse the heck out of it.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 05:55:34 pm »
The Caldera is a very good spa, the Vanguard is a great spa.  You will love the DX MotoMassage, guaranteed.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

mxw128

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 09:03:41 pm »
Well, we decided to stick with the Vanguard.  There were several people interested in the Caldera. (I guess it was priced "right"!)  Another couple bought it and we didn't want to offer above the asking price...

Being our first tub, we are willing to pay a little more for a brand new tub with the warranty, and the support of the dealer.  The owners of the HS dealer here were great in talking to us about the options we had and working a bit on the price of the Vanguard (threw in some of the options and included the tri-x filers etc) . They didn't try the hard sell or convince us that the HS was the only tub to have.  I appreciated that they respected the fact that the $3 k I would "save" was my hard earned money...

Thanks for all of the responses!  Now.. can't wait for the delivery!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Caldera Niagara?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 02:59:38 am »
You'll love it.  The Tri-X filters are a nice touch.

Enjoy!

Well, enjoy it when it 'finally' gets there.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 10:23:17 pm »
Congratulations on a fine tub (I have a 2003 Vanguard)!!

You won't regret it!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 10:23:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42