What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet Test Liability?  (Read 6568 times)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
Wet Test Liability?
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:08:46 am »
Okay guys, I know a lot of you are dealers out there, so maybe you can shed some light on this subject.  As I have written before, we are trying to narrow down our choices before taking "the plunge".  I have sat in a HS Grandee and was impressed.  As I have heard good things about Beachcomber, I was anxious to do a wet test in a 700 or 500 series model also.  Checking my Orange County zip code, a new dealer popped up: "Islander Designs" in Orange.  Previously, my closest dealer was down in San Juan Capistrano.  A quick call to this store soured me in a hurry.  A woman answered the phone and told me she had five different models on the floor, with just one filled.  She then let me know that she would be unwilling to let me or my family wet test it, as "think if anyone slipped and fell getting in or out what our liability would be" was her immediate response.  When I then politely asked her, "Would you ever buy a car without getting in, inspecting it, and driving it around?", I got nothing but silence.  I then told her that I was never going to spend between $6,000-9,000 on a spa without being able to test it out, and would then gladly take my business to someone who understood that, she snapped back with, "fine" and hung up on me.  I wouldn't recommend sending anyone to this store, as the treatment I received in just a few short minutes soured me on them.  I guess I'll try the SJC dealer again, although I asked them to call me when they had a model I could test, and haven't heard from them in weeks.  Am I doing something wrong?  I read on this forum that business is slow, yet the Beachcomber dealers in So Cal seem to be unconcerned with potential customers.  I may do another wet test at HS and see if I can get the dealers in Capistrano and Cerritos to start bidding for my business......

Has anyone else come up against this "no wet test policy" before?

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Wet Test Liability?
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:08:46 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Wet Test Liability?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:13:13 am »
I see the point on liability.

That would still not stop me from entertaining a wet test.

Keep shopping. There are lots of great spas besides Beachcomber and Hot Springs.
Homeworks Financing Representative

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:19:48 am »
Being the wiseguy I am, I would have told her that buying a hot tub without a wet test would be a liability on my sensibility.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:27:05 am »
I would think that any smart business owner, especially a retailer, would be adequately insured for any injuries sustained by their customers while in the store.  
I don't buy the liability line.  Car test drives were mentioned.  I've taken dozens of new cars and motorcycles out for unsupervised test drives, with only having to leave the dealer with a drivers license imprint.
Never even checked for my proof of insurance.
I'd think the potential liability there would be much more likely than slipping while getting into or out of a spa.
I don't ban guests from using my spa, despite my possible liability if my guests get injured on my property.
Brewman
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:28:10 am by Brewman »
Brewman

leaky

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:34:05 am »
That's how I felt.  I know the HS dealer in Westwood (Robin, I think?) was more than willing to let me jump in, as was the nice young lady I spoke with in Victorville.

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:36:38 am »
A "no wet test" policy is not something I would hold against the dealer because he has a good point. Or maybe, he doesn't want to take the time out to do it? I can't tell.

I know there is a million orange county's in the US, but what state are you in?

leaky

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 10:40:15 am »
Huntington Beach, CA (Surf City USA).  If the liability issue is valid, then how is the family supposed to do the constantly-emphasized wet test?  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 10:50:47 am »
Most of the dealers provide, and encourage wet tests. My dealer even had free, new bathing suits for us.  Every hot tub dealer I went to (even the garage guy) encouraged me to jump into the  filled hot tub.  Hell, even at the home shows the dealers were telling me to get a suit and get in.

If the liability was really the issue, wouldn't we see more dealers not encourageing wet test or at least signing liability waivers (for what ever that is worth...) ?

Is the dealer in question ignorant, over cautious, uninsured, or is there something else going on? (too cheap to fill up the tubs?)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:51:10 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 10:53:30 am »
Man, all of our stores have rooms set up specifically for wet testing.  Every customer that walks through that door is encouraged to wet test.  Very few people do, though.

IF someone were to slip and fall and IF they seemed inclined to pursue litigation, well, no one saw them come in and no one has to see them go out.......... ;)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:10 am »
Man, all of our stores have rooms set up specifically for wet testing.  Every customer that walks through that door is encouraged to wet test.  Very few people do, though.

IF someone were to slip and fall and IF they seemed inclined to pursue litigation, well, no one saw them come in and no one has to see them go out.......... ;)

Terminator

Frame the picture of you with teh AR 15 and hang it on the wall in the Wet Test room.  You may also want to hang a copy over by the cash register  and lable it "Returned check policy".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:58:36 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:18 am »
keep looking there are plenty of brands/ dealers who will gladly let you/ encourage you to wet test. i looked at quite a few different manufacturers, and every one but one was very accomodating for a wet test. several even offered, without me asking, to open early or stay late for more privacy.
only found 1 who had no wet test policy. he said it was due to the outbreak of legionaires disease a few years ago... ::) :o :o
he was a local manufacturer i'd never heard of, so combined the the potentiol legionaire thing, that was a very quick stop.... ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 11:00:58 am »

Frame the picture of you with teh AR 15 and hang it on the wall in the Wet Test room.  You may also want to hang a copy over by the cash register  and lable it "Returned check policy".

;D That's a good idea!

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

leaky

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 11:15:11 am »
Maybe if I just walked in unannounced with my good friend Carmen Electra and said she wanted to try also, it would be a lot easier!  Now I just have to find a way to introduce myself to my good friend, and convince her that she should go with me.... ;D

tootall

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 11:30:02 am »
There is a spa dealer that I looked at. that told me they do not let any one wet test. I asked why? and was told that it is not needed that  the quality of thier product can be seen with out the need of testing it?  ::) ok? See you later.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 11:33:40 am »
I think you're around Chas' territory!? Maybe he can help you out as I know he sells Hot Springs and Caldera in the SoCal area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 11:33:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42