What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cal Spa Dealers Trying to Inflate Ratings Again  (Read 8987 times)

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
Re: Cal Spa Dealers Trying to Inflate Ratings Agai
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »
Man you guys are goooooood... ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 02:05:53 pm »
Good? Or biased.......... Have you also checked every single other review as closely? Or is this simply a vendeta against one paticular brand?

I see it as honerable to try and valadate the reviews, I do the same. But, unless you valadate each and every review on the same basis, I think your doing just as much disservice as doing nothing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dino

• Tsar of the Empire!
Is it biased for the moderator to respond?
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 02:35:38 pm »
Dr. I must disagree, the moderator was not policing the reviews but merely reacting to my ploicing of them.  

I am a consumer who chooses to waste his time to keep others from being victimized by this company.  As long as I am doing this independently and not in support of a dealership or competing brand then it is a valid example of consumer activism.  Others are free to police the reviews they choose.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 02:37:05 pm »
Good? Or biased.......... Have you also checked every single other review as closely?

Damn, I hate it when he's got a good point. If someone notices a discrepancy it should be reviewed as this was but however possible this really should be monitored across the board. I'd have to bet there are some other bogus reviews out there.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 02:49:04 pm »
Other than spotting the real obvious ones, what more could be done?  
Brewman
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 03:24:53 pm »
Good? Or biased.......... Have you also checked every single other review as closely? Or is this simply a vendeta against one paticular brand?

I see it as honerable to try and valadate the reviews, I do the same. But, unless you valadate each and every review on the same basis, I think your doing just as much disservice as doing nothing.

I agree Doc. It all comes down to manpower and having the time to police it properly I guess. The best case scenario is to have a member such as Dino bring these bogus reviews to light so Bill has a chance to investigate further when he has a chance.

Luckily, there was a positive review on Roberts Hot Tubs but Bill delt with that for me! ;D ;)

Steve

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 03:42:08 pm »

I do understand what you are saying. I do try to go through a lot of the reviews, especially newer ones, but its not my highest priority in life.  ;)   I have mentioned to several people, if you see one that is suspect, and it really is a crying shame you have to be suspicious, I will look into it.  You can cut my pay in half for every legit review I kill.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 03:43:58 pm »

Note, two out of three of the Raven reviews used bogus email addresses.  (One wasn't even a real domain name)

Bill, had I known 8 years ago, what I know today, I would NEVER post my email address (un-encrypted) on the net ( I notice you cant post a review without putting in an email addy) . Currently I, and others at my company, receive about 5000 spam emails a day.

The internet is a place where many want to remain annonomous. Many times, by doing so, people "inhibitions" and fears are loweres any they are more likely to post their true feelings and opinions, withour fear of retrobution.

So, what do ya do? I don't really know. On my reviews I try to push for substance. Frequently reviews of 1 or 2 sentances I delete. I dont feel those type of reviews offer any viable information. Do I have posts from dealer? I'm sure I do, but since I can't PROVE it, I feel they can't be deleted just due to suspititions. And, I do get suspicious when in 3 days 7 reviews get posted about 1 brand.

BUT, I"ve also talked to more than 1 dealer that not only sends their potential customers to read reviews, but also ask customers to post reviews.

You have any idea the number of views the reviews here get? Some of mine have over 3000 views!!!

(yo, Dino, yours has over 2600 views)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 03:44:43 pm »

I'd have to bet there are some other bogus reviews out there.

If someone points them out, I'll look, I think I've clearly shown I don't have an anti-cal bias. If you don't agree  :P  

THIS WAS ME WMCCALL AGAIN, I forgot to log out and back in again. You guys are too much like work.   I have had to delete several bogus reviews lately not just Cal ones right Winsurfdog? (He pointed out a couple to me)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:47:14 pm by wmccall »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 03:49:27 pm »

Bill, had I known 8 years ago, what I know today, I would NEVER post my email address (un-encrypted) on the net ( I notice you cant post a review without putting in an email addy) . Currently I, and others at my company, receive about 5000 spam emails a day.

You are absolutely correct. I did not take that into consideration and probably should have.  Ooops, the reviewer can repost and be made at me  I'm a little jumpy after some of the bogus reviews (all from the same range of IP addresses for users supposedly half a continent apart.)

(Sending today's pay to charity)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:50:49 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 04:21:32 pm »

If someone points them out, I'll look, I think I've clearly shown I don't have an anti-cal bias. If you don't agree  :P  

I do give you kudos Bill. I complained last month that one glowing review on this site was from a dealer of that product but that person failed to mention in his review that he sells the product and you quickly rectified that. Unfortunately, most can typically hide their tracks from those of us who have limited access to see/understand where the posting are coming from. I know you do your best and will follow up on those you know/learn to be suspicious.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 04:21:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42