What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Dealer Funny Stories  (Read 5124 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Spa Dealer Funny Stories
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:40:48 pm »
As a segeway from Backpains post about "Stupidest Things You've Done", I was hoping some of the spa dealers on the board might share some of their best stories about the exciting world of hot tub sales.  I'll start it off:

Recently, we received a call from a customer in a gated lake community (very upscale homes) and he was not happy.  His five year old HotSpring Sovereign was not heating.  Our service manager went to take a look.  The spa was kept in an enclosed sunroom and as he approached it, he noticed how pretty the green light looked in the water.

When he got up close, he saw that the entire shell was coated with green algae.  When he asked the spa's owner how often he treated the water, the man replied "You guys put chemicals in it when you brought it out."  Our service manager asked "How often do you drain the spa?"  His reply "Oh, it's the original water.  I just top it off from time to time." :o

"Mister, I'm not about to put my hand in that spa until you drain it and clean it.  No way!"

He cleaned it, the spa started heating again, and we gave him a refresher course on proper water maintenance.

Tell us your stories.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Dealer Funny Stories
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:40:48 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Spa Dealer Funny Stories
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 04:59:05 pm »
Ive got a couple.

One of the best ones is from a customer that thought they were gettting electrocuted when they raised their arms in the water.  Long story short, turns out they were getting stung by bees.

We had a customer put an older round Viking on a deck (not very well supported).  When they were in it one night, the deck collapsed and the tub rolled down the hill.  Everyone was ok and the spa is still running to this day.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:59:51 pm »
I am sure I will think of more than this one...but your story reminded me of this.

This customer had a pool not a spa, but I am certain this could happen in a hot tub just as easily.

He came in for a water test. He had algae. Everything was out of balance:
Low TA (20)
Low CH (100)
No chlorine
pH 6.8 or lower.
We also sold him bagged shock (BioGuard Burn-out) and Algaecide.

We gave him a computerized print out with exactly how much of each product to put in the pool, including the order and wait times between each step.

He was "thrifty" so he purchased more than he needed for each step, because the larger packages give better value.

The next day he called, extremely angry because his pool went from green to PINK

Well as it turns out, he lost the printout. Rather than call us for instructions he just decided to dump everything in his pool, all at once.
Homeworks Financing Representative

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:37:30 pm »
I read that one 20 minutes ago, and I'm still chuckling about it!!  Good one!!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 01:35:54 pm »
I recently had one where a lady called and said she had poor jet pressure on a new spa. Knowing that she had recently thrown a party for her kids I asked all of the normal questions about filter cleaning and such....I also asked if there was a chance that the filters were ever pulled while the pumps ran and something possibly got stuck in the pump? She was adamant that this could not have happened.

When I got to the house and pulled the pump union off I could feel something stuck in the impellor...She was hanging over my shoulder as I was doing this and asked if it felt like a sample packet of Eucalyptus Spa scent (which it was) so I asked if she had lost a Eucalyptus packet while the filters where out and she said “No I was just wondering if it felt like that”!

Then she was frustrated when I charged her a service call!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 02:29:51 pm »
I don't know if my dealer is here, but if he is, and I recognize a story, I can send down a high voltage spike right to your IP address!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 03:33:55 pm »
I recently had one where a lady called and said she had poor jet pressure on a new spa. Knowing that she had recently thrown a party for her kids I asked all of the normal questions about filter cleaning and such....I also asked if there was a chance that the filters were ever pulled while the pumps ran and something possibly got stuck in the pump? She was adamant that this could not have happened.

When I got to the house and pulled the pump union off I could feel something stuck in the impellor...She was hanging over my shoulder as I was doing this and asked if it felt like a sample packet of Eucalyptus Spa scent (which it was) so I asked if she had lost a Eucalyptus packet while the filters where out and she said “No I was just wondering if it felt like that”!

Then she was frustrated when I charged her a service call!

Similair story. Customers pump #1 was not working. Asked all the questions, except "did you run the spa without the filter". I always ask that one now, there was a rubber ducky in the impeller.

Another, more recent story. The customer had a flow problem. Asked all the normal questions:
Gate valves open?
Filter clean?
Water level high enough?
Did you run tub without filter?
After we sent a service tech, we added a new question:
"Are all of your jets closed?"
Kids were in the tub and turned every single jet off.
Homeworks Financing Representative

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 04:12:29 pm »
We had a customer call up irate because her spa was not operating correctly.  We sent our tech out and she berated him the whole time he was working on the spa...Until he pulled a plastic toy out of the pump and told her that was the problem.  

Today I had an electrician tell me "I disconnected the neutral at the main panel because I ran a separate ground rod, and only a ground rod."  And he wonders why the spa wont run.  
I think of all the ways I have seen a gfci wired wrong and this guy did all of them.
(always feels good to tell an electrician how to do his job)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 04:25:37 pm »
After we sent a service tech, we added a new question:
"Are all of your jets closed?"
Kids were in the tub and turned every single jet off.

I had that the other day when the guy called after draining/refilling. I asked him if the jets were turned off individually and he said he was not aware you could do so but insisted that was not the issue. I asked him to please try anyway. He got his mobile phone in a huff and walked out to the spa saying "I know this isn't it but if we have to go through this before you'll address the real issue then fine". Needless to say there was silence on the phone just after he said "OK, here goes" as he needed a minute to figure out how to respond after he wiped the egg off his face. I just laughed and said "I understand, the kids will get you every time".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 04:25:56 pm »
I had a customer wet test one of my spas the other day, and he had to borrow one of our loaner bathing suits that we keep at the store.  He chose the white addidas suit and hopped in the tub.  It just so happens that this particular suit does not have one of those inner linings like a normal bathing suit. :o :o :o  needless to say, when he got out of the spa, he looked like he had the ass of neandrathol man.  The silloet(spelling) of a males genitalia does not help at the closing table, or at least it doesn't for this male!  I no longer have that white bathing suit.  It was worse than a speedo! ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:32 pm »
No amount of chlorine in the world would get me to use a "loaner" swimming suit!!!
Brewman
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:44 pm »
Are you Bills dealer :o

I had a customer wet test one of my spas the other day, and he had to borrow one of our loaner bathing suits that we keep at the store.  He chose the white addidas suit and hopped in the tub.  It just so happens that this particular suit does not have one of those inner linings like a normal bathing suit. :o :o :o  needless to say, when he got out of the spa, he looked like he had the ass of neandrathol man.  The silloet(spelling) of a males genitalia does not help at the closing table, or at least it doesn't for this male!  I no longer have that white bathing suit.  It was worse than a speedo! ;D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 04:48:20 pm by Wisoki »
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

shabba34

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 04:54:45 pm »
Are you Bills dealer :o

;D ;D ;D No!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 05:25:24 pm »
Had another customer one time come in to do a test soak during business hours.  She was a very petite, pretty lady in her late 40's.  She was concerned about going from the changing room to the mood room in her bathing suit.  I assured her that it would not be a problem as I had a nice terry cloth robe she could wear to get in the tub.

She put the robe on in the changing room, came out, and I walked her to the mood room and closed the curtain.  After a few minutes, I went to check on her.

I quickly had to turn and leave to keep from falling on the floor laughing.  Sure enough, there she sat neck deep in the spa with the robe on.

Once I regained my composure enough to go back, she was ready to get out but couldn't.  The robe had soaked up so much water that she couldn't stand up!  When I helped her out, I realized she was butt-nekkid underneath.

I held her up as best as I could and helped her to the changing room.  She dried off, bought the spa, and left.  When I picked up the robe off the floor, I bet it weighed 30 pounds!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:04 pm »
Had another customer one time come in to do a test soak during business hours.  She was a very petite, pretty lady in her late 40's.  She was concerned about going from the changing room to the mood room in her bathing suit.  I assured her that it would not be a problem as I had a nice terry cloth robe she could wear to get in the tub.

She put the robe on in the changing room, came out, and I walked her to the mood room and closed the curtain.  After a few minutes, I went to check on her.

I quickly had to turn and leave to keep from falling on the floor laughing.  Sure enough, there she sat neck deep in the spa with the robe on.

Once I regained my composure enough to go back, she was ready to get out but couldn't.  The robe had soaked up so much water that she couldn't stand up!  When I helped her out, I realized she was butt-nekkid underneath.

I held her up as best as I could and helped her to the changing room.  She dried off, bought the spa, and left.  When I picked up the robe off the floor, I bet it weighed 30 pounds!

Terminator

Now That's funny!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42