What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to kill bees/wasps/hornets inside tub?  (Read 14269 times)

jasolution

• Caldera Niagara -- Woo hoo!
How to kill bees/wasps/hornets inside tub?
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »
We have a Caldera Niagara that is absolutely wonderful, but unfortunately some of our neighborhood flying insects feel the same way about the spa. This summer, bees and hornets have taken residence inside the cabinet of the tub. They are flying in just under the lip of the shell (bees on the north side, hornets on the south).

I can get to the bees easily enough because I can remove the front panel,  but I cannot get to the back side where the hornets are. I'd thought about using an insect fogger on the inside of the cabinet, but my concern is that it would penetrate the foam insulation and thus possibly contaminate the water every time we use the jets and/or air blower.

After I get them out of there, I plan to caulk the opening beneath the lip to prevent a future infestation. Does anyone have any suggestions for how best to rid the tub of these rascals?

Thanks,

Jason

Hot Tub Forum

How to kill bees/wasps/hornets inside tub?
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »

tootall

Re: How to kill bees/wasps/hornets inside tub?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:13:29 pm »
Well I know from talking with people things like racoons and skunks have moved in to the cabinets of spas. Thats why I went with a Marquis they have their bottoms sealed but even with that I can see how bees could move in as well. Just put up wasp traps. I would caulk every crack and crannie. you should be ok

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 07:59:03 pm »
Pick up the spa and shake it real hard?

You can go ahead and seal up the openings right now - you don't need to wait for you visitors to leave. They'll get the idea...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 10:08:23 pm »
How do you seal those openings up?

Don't they need to be there for ventilation in the warm months?

Michelle

• He said "trust me!" so I married him.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:21:12 pm »
Hey Tootall, I have an Epic and you're in for a surprise if you think the bottom is sealed.  That was what I thought too.  It is still better than most although.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 10:21:54 pm by Michelle »

tootall

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 10:51:25 pm »
Hey Tootall, I have an Epic and you're in for a surprise if you think the bottom is sealed.  That was what I thought too.  It is still better than most although.

That Why I said I can see were bees and spiders and other bugs can get in but big critters such as racoons or skunks I dont think so.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 09:27:05 am »
And you people thought I was crazy by putting my hot tub in a nice little house (I am now calling it the tiki room) LOL. I actually have been finding spiders in there, but....and I say but..........I have a nest of ants...those little pi** ants I think is what they call them, little guys in and out of my spa room, they haven't breached the tub yet nor has any other critter but I told hubby I'm buying a can of and and bug killer today to get rid of the threat. I didn't BUY my hot tub to have ANY critters in  it.

NDfar

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 10:04:34 am »
I had a problem with yellow jackets (wasps) that got into the insulation under my trailer at the lake and tried spraying bug killer and what ever I could find and nothing worked until I tried a product called Tempo.  This stuff WORKS ;D  I paid about $40 for a 8oz bottle but you only need abuot a half oz to a gallon of water, this stuff also works great for getting rid of mosquitos, ants and spiders.  Tempo also comes in a powder form in a packet that makes a gallon but I can't find it anymore in my area but I heard its still available.  Bayer Corp. makes Tempo and it says to keep it away ornamental flowers where bees are pollonating.  It is also safe to use in food areas, the pamplet that comes with this product explains how to use it for different applications and it has no odor.  Hope this helps out :)

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 10:09:20 am »
i also have a niagra, and saw the same thing, wasps crawling under the lip of the cabinet. i just grabbed a caulking gun, and used white latex caulk all the way around the top edge.
i have since put up a gazebo with mosquito netting, and keep it closed when not in use, and that probably helps also.....

is this a caldera oddity or do other tubs have flying pests looking for new homes???

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:21:32 am »
We bought these yellow hanging things for bees/wasps.  You hang them away from where you wanna be.  You put attractant on a cotton ball inside the thing, the bee/wasp goes in to get at it but they cant get out.  Every 2 wks you redose the cotton.  We hung 3 of them around the yard and now, 5-6wks later there are just no bees venturing in our yard.  About the 2nd week we found about 50-70 dead bees/wasps in those things total.  

For ants, we put out Terra baits all around front porch, in tub cabinet and around decking.  There are some ant baits that come on little spikes so you can stick them in the ground, we used a combo of those and ones you just set out.  Seem to working as I dont see any bugs.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:21:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42